Sponsored by:

Fuel tanks, fuel sending unit and Techron

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:52 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts
Default Fuel tanks, fuel sending unit and Techron

From what I understand the engine is fed from the left tank while the right tank continues to siphon gas to the left tank. Is it correct that the fuel level sending unit that gets corroded is in the right tank? Now when refueling does the left tank fill up first before the right tank? So if Techron is added to a tank low on fuel most of it will stay in the left tank and then the right tank will fill. Correct? Would it be better to add one bottle at the start if filling the tank and another when the tank is full to get Techron to the right tank so it can clean the sensor?

My gauge started acting up last spring and I have been using Techron ever since without results. I was thinking maybe all the Techron is staying in the left tank.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Sterling04
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are partially correct. The EFI pump is in the left tank, as is the sending unit. '97-E2003 the pump and sending unit can be accessed without dropping the tank. L2003-2004 you must drop the tank out to remove/replace the pump and sending unit. As far as refueling the tanks; yes the left side fills first, then the right. However as you drive or even let the car sit Techron will permeate all the fuel. I use Techron about every third fill and pour it in before filling with fuel... Good luck and hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (08-14-2017)
Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
From what I understand the engine is fed from the left tank while the right tank continues to siphon gas to the left tank. Is it correct that the fuel level sending unit that gets corroded is in the right tank? Now when refueling does the left tank fill up first before the right tank? So if Techron is added to a tank low on fuel most of it will stay in the left tank and then the right tank will fill. Correct? Would it be better to add one bottle at the start if filling the tank and another when the tank is full to get Techron to the right tank so it can clean the sensor?

My gauge started acting up last spring and I have been using Techron ever since without results. I was thinking maybe all the Techron is staying in the left tank.
on my 01, it was both sides.

Story as given to me by the dealer mechanic at the time is silver solder was used in the fuel sender pickup contacts for 2001 model year. Sulfur in the fuel eventually erodes the contacts, causing the guage to go wonky.

(This happened with more than one model 2001 GM vehicle, BTW.)

The 2002 C5 sender didn't use silver solder, but other than that, the 2001 and 2002 senders are supposed to be identical. But at the time, GM would not allow warranty replacing a 2001 sender w/ a 2002 unit.

Obviously, warranty replacement is no longer an issue...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Loby 1
Drifting

For what it is worth.

I use Chevron gas, it has techron in it.
Once a year I add bottle of Seafoam to gas tank at the 1/4 full mark.

I add Seafoam to all cars and motorcycles once a year.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Over time both sending units develop oxidation, not just in the right tank. Yes, fuel first fills the left tank.

Adding Techron Plus to a full tank of fuel is going to result in most of it remaining in the left tank. I suggest that you add the large bottle of Techron Plus to the less than half full system. That way as fuel is pumped into the left tank the "churn" of the gas that occurs from the pressure of the fuel being pumped mixes the Techron and then forces the fuel across the connector between the two tanks. That insures that at least some of the Techron flows to the right tank.

Have you pulled the codes to see what it indicates? There are codes that relate to the sensors in the tanks. Post what you find.

Here is how to pull and post codes:

OR

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Post ALL your codes including the H or C or HC that follows each 5 character code. If you have any Unnnn codes then list the sensor under which the Unnnn code appears. For example 28-TCS U1016.

The same Unnnn codes can appear under multiple sensors and it is helpful to know which sensor the Unnnn code is associated with.
I have no codes except for my EBCM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Loby 1
For what it is worth.

I use Chevron gas, it has techron in it.
Once a year I add bottle of Seafoam to gas tank at the 1/4 full mark.

I add Seafoam to all cars and motorcycles once a year.
We don't have Chevron around here. Any other gas have Techron in it?
Over the winter when I put it away for storage I am going to put 2 bottles in it.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:14 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Regarding adding Techron directly, should you add it when the tank is very low, per instructions, or add it at 1/4 or 1/2 full to make sure the Techron gets flushed into both tanks? (I don't think the Techron directions took into account the dual tank system of the C5)

Last edited by MSG C5; 09-23-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:58 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Regarding adding Techron directly, should you add it when the tank is very low, per instructions, or add it at 1/4 or 1/2 full to make sure the Techron gets flushed into both tanks? (I don't the Techron directions took into account the dual tank system of the C5)
That's what I was wondering..
Old 09-23-2014, 02:53 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by scarlotte
You are partially correct. The EFI pump is in the left tank, as is the sending unit. '97-E2003 the pump and sending unit can be accessed without dropping the tank. L2003-2004 you must drop the tank out to remove/replace the pump and sending unit. As far as refueling the tanks; yes the left side fills first, then the right. However as you drive or even let the car sit Techron will permeate all the fuel. I use Techron about every third fill and pour it in before filling with fuel... Good luck and hope this helps!
There is a sending unit in both tanks.

The C5 Corvette has two fuel tanks, left and right hand. The left hand tank contains the electric fuel pump that supplies fuel to the engine. The right hand tank has a pump, which transfers fuel from the right tank to the left tank. The pump in the right hand tank has no moving parts and is not really a pump. It is a siphon device that uses fuel pressure from the left hand pump to start a siphon that transfers fuel from the right hand tank to the left hand tank. In order to create this siphon, the fuel line that goes to the engine splits and a small amount of pressure is routed to the right hand tank to start the siphoning. The fuel that is being siphoned is routed through another hose to the left hand tank. If the left hand tank is full, the fuel transfers back to the right hand tank through the large filler tube located at the top of the tanks.

The idea is to always keep the left hand tank full whenever there is fuel in the right hand tank. When the fuel gauge reaches a half tank, the right hand tank is empty and the left hand tank is full. Both tanks have a float and sender that measures the fuel level in the tank. These signals go to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) which interprets the information and sends a signal to the Body Control Module (BCM) which then sends a signal to the fuel gauge in the Instrument Cluster.

Because of the variation in tanks and sending units, the PCM doesn't always read the actual fuel level in the tank. Above or below preset voltage limits, the fuel level is estimated. The voltage limits for each sending unit, right and left, are set to represent "full" and "empty." When one or both tanks have exceeded the preset limits, either "full" or "empty," the system is estimating the actual fuel level. This happens when both tanks are full, gauge is "full;" when the right tank is empty and the left tank is full, "half" on the gauge, or when both tanks are empty, gauge is at "empty."
Since the fill hose connects the two tanks at the top how does Techron get into the right tank if it is added before filling?

Last edited by JR-01; 09-23-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:54 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

I just topped off my tank and then added a bottle of Techron. Most of it should have gone into the right tank.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:22 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

To clarify, the "left" tank is the driver's side tank and the "right" tank is the passenger side tank correct?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:23 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MSG C5
To clarify, the "left" tank is the driver's side tank and the "right" tank is the passenger side tank correct?
Yes.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Over the winter when I put it away for storage I am going to put 2 bottles in it.
Texaco has Techron in it
Old 09-23-2014, 05:20 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Texaco has Techron in it
Nearest Texaco is 20 miles away. I am stuck with the bottle.

Last edited by JR-01; 09-23-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Quick Draw
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nearest Texaco is 20 miles away. I am stuck with the bottle.
Good excuse to exercise the go pedal.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Loby 1
Drifting

For storing over winter I might suggest using Startron or Sta-Bil.

Where do you live?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Loby 1
For storing over winter I might suggest using Startron or Sta-Bil.

Where do you live?
Yeah I use Stabil, when I put in in storage in Wisconsin. I will put a couple bottles of Techron in it too.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel tanks, fuel sending unit and Techron

Old 09-27-2014, 07:00 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Success. After spending a hundred bucks on Techron this summer I finally figured out none of it was getting into the right tank which must have the dirty sensor. So a few days ago I filled the tank first and then added the Techron to get it into the right tank and today the gas gauge started working normally again. From now on I will put one bottle in before I fill up and a bottle in when it's full. Something to try if your gauge isn't working properly.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (08-14-2017)
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Good tip, I'll give that a go!
Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Good tip, I'll give that a go!
It's worth a shot. I was ready to give up on Techron.

Quick Reply: Fuel tanks, fuel sending unit and Techron