Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with two shops...want you guys to know how it went down. Long Read

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:05 PM
BLKZ0SIX
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My experience with two shops...want you guys to know how it went down. Long Read

Dear fellow Z06 owners, I feel like I need to share my experience with two different shops with you guys.

Top Flight Corvette of San Diego, California
Slowhawk Performance of Bridgewater, Massachusetts

Please take and learn from my experience when you go get work done to your Corvette.

What I have learned from this whole thing, is that; the quality of a shop can change and despite how they might smile and be friendly, it does not mean they are there for the best of your interest. I have been a customer of Top Flight Corvette since 2010, I would have to say this is by far the worst experience I have ever had as a customer of a shop.

Cliff Notes:
- Needed engine work
- Went to Top Flight Corvette in SD
- Got told of how they were going to make my Z06 bad ***.
- Got the run around on pricing
- Eventually the final price was over 150% of the original quote
- Multiple craftsmanship errors (didn't plug my O2 sensors back in, my ABS/Traction System module wasn't plugged back in also)
- Subwoofers went missing at the shop and they failed to let me know that my car was apparently broken into, until I went to go pick up my car
- Car was super dirty and sat outside in the sun for over 6 months, interior had cobwebs and random grease marks, the exterior had spiders crawling on the outside.
- Car had some serious tuning issues with the drive-ability (surging, and random shut off and drop in rpms).
- Contacted Don of Slowhawk Performance, he fixed everything (from the tuning issue to my Trac Sys/ABS sys errors), car runs smooth now

Story time:
About a few months ago as I was getting ready to go on another deployment in April, my Z06 took a **** on me when I hit a dip in the road (for those who live in SD, it was the dip on Rosecrans Street in Point Loma towards the Navy Sub base, that damaged my car). The oil pressure dropped real low and then eventually it hit 0 psi. As a result of this oil pump failure, my engine was damaged.

After assessing the situation, I contacted a few shops in SoCal to see what could be done. I called the Corvette Shop in Clairemont Mesa of San Diego and the owner told me he would not build me an engine because he did not want to be liable for anything, so I said "ok no problem".

I then called Cunningham Motorsports but they were backed up with work and since I was leaving for deployment real soon, I had to find a shop ASAP (I wish I would have had more time to bring my car to CMS).

I eventually ended up contacting Top Flight Corvette, and had my car towed there to see what they could do. I was buttered up by them, with all the things that they said they could do with my car and as a result, I let them take my car in for a built motor.

I was originally quoted for $11k, and was told it would not cost over $15k total. WRONG.

Fast forward a few months later (when my active duty obligation in the Navy was over with). I flew back to San Diego and the car was still not done, but I was okay with that, I figured that they were taking the time to build it properly and in addition, I gave them my pop up headlights to re-install (I also needed the LF and RF covers plus paint for them, which Top Flight provided) since my DEPO non pop-ups sucked ***.

After being back in SD for a month, I eventually flew back to Massachusetts to further wait for my car to be done. While in MA, I kept asking them for the final price so I could plan out my finance and they kept me in the dark by saying that they would call me back “tomorrow”… this went on for a few weeks. It sounded like they didn't want to talk to me on the phone and rushed me off the line every time I called. Eventually I got an updated price of $13k and some change. I was also told that it wouldn’t cost over $15k…boy was that false.

Apparently “stuff came up that needed fixing” and when I asked them what that stuff was, the answer that I was given was that of someone who was beating around the bush and not having a real answer. My final invoice turned into almost $18k and finally I was told that my car was ready for pick up.

I flew into SD on the weekend and went to go pick up my car Saturday. Upon handing over about close to $18k; I got the keys to my car.

As I approached the car, I see that the car wasn’t washed or prepared for pick up. The exterior of my car was dirty and covered in pollen and had spiders crawling around the roof and trunk lid. The interior had random grease marks here and there and there were cobwebs everywhere. When I fired the car up, I noticed my car popping up with Service Vehicle Soon, Traction Control System / ABS lights were on.

Not only that but, my subwoofers were missing! I was pretty upset at this point, seeing that they didn’t reinstall my subwoofers and seeing errors on the dash that weren’t there prior to the car being dropped off at Top Flight Corvette. So I drove around the shop to the back and questioned them about the Service Vehicle Soon error message and the missing sub woofers. I was told “oh yeah your car was broken into along with the Camaro next to it”…Uhhh okay? So are you going to replace it? Nope, I was told that they weren’t liable and that I need to take a claim out on my insurance!

WTF. RED FLAG. I was told that they had a police report but I didn’t see anything. Apparently they were not liable for it since my car wasn’t inside the shop; their insurance only covers what happens in the shop, not on their shop property where they keep a variety of cars outside.

In addition to my subwoofers being missing, I was told that they needed to go into the computer and tune my car to see what’s up with the traction control sys / ABS errors. They said that my car needed to be tuned or they wouldn’t warranty my build. So I told them I will have it tuned by them on the weekday. I brought it back the following week and they tuned it, and my car made 574 rwhp and 488 rwtq. I was content with the power it made because I had to be on my way to drive back to MA but it didn’t solve my Traction Control Sys / ABS lights (I already knew that the PCM doesn’t control those systems). I decided to chalk this up as a loss and be on my way to the east coast.

My first stop was Las Vegas. I had my first oil change done there while I was stopping for a break. I went to a shop where you could walk downstairs and see what’s under the car. The mechanic pointed to me that my O2 sensors just dangling…they weren’t plugged in. WTF? Seriously? I immediately contacted Top Flight Corvette and was told one of their guys forgot to plug it back in during the tune. Bull **** because the guy never touched my car during the tune (I was present at the tuning), and why would you have to unplug an O2 sensor during a tune?! That is unheard of!

Eventually I made it back to MA but during the drive back to the east coast, my car was still running rough, the idle wasn’t right, and my car was surging and it would sometime die randomly especially when I let off the gas after doing 1/2 WOT. During my trip, I would keep in touch with Top Flight Corvette to let them know how the car was acting and was told that the car was still learning its tune. (lol. Yeah OK, I know better now).

Once I got back to MA, I didn’t drive my car much due to the rain, and then one night on my way back home from the gym, my car dies at a red light and wouldn’t start again.

I had my car towed to Slowhawk Performance where Don figured out the problem within an hour of the car being dropped off. Don also told me that my car was running like **** and that I should have it re-tuned.

At first, I was like eh whatever, it’s still re-learning its tune (That’s what the owner of Top Flight kept telling me and I believed him like a dumb ***) so I opted not to do it that day, boy did I eff up.

After posting a question about the PCM learning a tune in an FB Corvette group, I quickly realized Top Flight Corvette was BS'ing me the whole time and was taking me for a fool.

I immediately e-mailed Don back and had my car dropped off at his shop this past Sunday. Don came in yesterday on Monday (a day off from work) to work on my car.

I got it back today and it is running smooth as butter and it even makes more power (592 rwhp and 501 rwtq). On top of the increase in power, my fuel efficiency is also WAY better now since I am getting 24-25 mpg on the hwy instead of how I was on my road trip from San Diego to MA. I was struggling to get 20 mpg on the highway during my road trip (which consisted of 95% highway driving.) Don also solved my Service Vehicle Soon / Service Traction System / Service ABS problem too by plugging the module back in...Top Flight failed to do so.

I have been a customer of Top Flight since I was stationed out in San Diego back in 2010. I always brought my Vettes there when I had a problem. How are you going to treat a return customer like that??
The following 2 users liked this post by BLKZ0SIX:
BRKLYN (11-18-2015), CorvetteBrent (08-10-2018)
Old 10-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Boss75
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude it makes me sick that you handed them 18k and got treated like that. I'd be livid!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

First .... Thank you for your service :

Not sure....think I would consult an attorney.....so sorry those slobs.. hijacked you......nobody NOBODY deserves to be treated that way..........God Bless ya and hope things get better.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-10-2018)
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM
innerconx
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Wow! You're a better man than I am on how you handled all that - especially after being deployed.

Sucks dude - thankfully you found a place to sort it out - enjoy the ride now and chalk it up.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:03 PM
woodman300
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

it sucks that top flight would treat anyone that way let alone someone who is serving our country. i'm glad you put this out there for the others to see. thanks. and thanks for your service as well.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I wouldn't have paid them until car was completely repaired. I have had to go to service manager and dealership owner to get my issues addressed and resolved. I would be a real knuckle head over 18 grand. I would have had a stroke.

Last edited by bjones7131; 10-14-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

A lot of so called speed shops operate this way.

They know they have willing car buffs that want to hear all the good.

I too have fallen victim on some scamming when I purchased my AR headers.

The shop said they had them in stock and took my car part only to be told that they could not find them.

I and to order them and the car sat for a week.

Had to pay for a new set and was told prior that they had a used set to sell me.

Had the Vararam installed too and they could not tune out the slight hesitation.

I also have had good service with two other shops in the area, so do your homework and get everything in writing.

Also check out any used items to be sold.

Some people are just not honest and want to sell a bill of goods.

The OP story is a nightmare and totally unacceptable.

I have one that is even worse involving my 350 Z. I thought I would of learned with the 350 Z saga.

I have now and have come to the conclusion that good help is hard to find.

Last edited by Boomer111; 10-14-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:35 PM
BLKZ0SIX
Advanced

I could not delay it any longer. I was on a time limit due to relocating and getting a post military job. If I could go back in time. CMS would have been the one taking on the job.

On a different note. Found out that O2 sensors do get removed for wide band tuning but...I didn't see anyone go under my car on the day of dyno tuning it and even still, it is a lack of attention to detail to not screw the O2 sensors back on.

I am chalking this up as a lesson learned. Especially when I move back to SD.

What happened with your 350Z? Was it the horror body work that I saw a thread on Houston Imports forum a while back? I just don't understand how people can continue doing what they do. Totally unacceptable.

Last edited by BLKZ0SIX; 10-14-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:38 PM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad the car is back together and running good. Sucks to hand over hard earned money and get back less than what was paid for!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry you had so many problems with the shop in San Diego. Sounds like they totally screwed you over. And that you found a good shop in MA to get the car back in shape.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 PM
drotti
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact the California Bureau of Auto Repair. They will/have to investigate consumer concerns/complaints
Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

What a true BUMMER. Lots of trust from you and lots of money not earned for them!

For what it's worth.

There are some good shops out there, but if I were going to spend wads of cash for performance work and did not mind shipping or traveling to the source, I would choose VEGEANCE RACING in Cumming, GA.

Their reputation is stellar, they do work all over the world, and are featured in major magazines for their work on rides. Reasonably priced and in line with most other shops, but their work is becoming legendary.

Others of course on the high side are Ligenfelter, Hennesey, etc.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:49 PM
BLKZ0SIX
Advanced

Update:

I was going to leave this alone but Lawton Jr decided to call me yesterday afternoon (est time) on a blocked ID number and accuse me of lying about the condition of my car at their shop and the condition of it after I picked it up.

He also threatened to say I committed insurance fraud because he apparently has several people from his shop (his father and another worker) that supposedly heard me say I was racing a Mustang that resulted in my motor blowing up. Which I wasn't.

Also, if you read my previous post from earlier in the year, about my low oil, ticking, rough sounding engine. I drove the car around and did a single 2-5k rpm pull. (Not even close to what racing shifts should be). I did not include bottoming out in there because I have bottomed out way worse before and did not think it would had that effect on it. With that said I wanted to put that out there so that someone doesn't bring up that post and be like oh why didnt u mention this.

Continuing,
He kept swearing on the phone, saying that I was "F'ing liar bro" and that my car was cleaned and that he had someone professionally cleaned my car prior to me picking it up. On top of that, he said my car wouldn't have ran if the O2s were really unplugged from his shop (once again no idea if thats true or not, I would assume it would just get terrible gas mileage and stay in open loop).

Lawton Jr told me to kiss my military benefits and schooling away (GI Bill).

"You're soooo F*****D Bro, you're in the military, you're done"

Like I said earlier I was going to leave this alone until Lawton Jr decided to call me yesterday afternoon threatening me and saying how much of a liar so I called the San Diego Police department about the supposed break in of my car at their shop and what do you know, no reports were found. Gee. What a surprise.

Last edited by BLKZ0SIX; 10-23-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

You have been shabbily treated and worse. The court of public opinion needs to hear your story. Thank you for putting it out there. And it's good to hear of a good shop in MA. I may end up giving them so business.

Thank you for your service. You should have been treated better. It sounds as though you are expecting to see more service time in San Diego. That's got to be a treat, and you can stop by and tell Lawton Jr that you're back in town. He'll be glad to see you I'm sure.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:07 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Another reason why I partnered up with a friend and we have our own shop. Never again man. Hope it all works out for you. At least your car is good now. As for that Top Flight shop, karma always comes back around.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:29 PM
innerconx
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by BLKZ0SIX
Update:

I was going to leave this alone but Lawton Jr decided to call me yesterday afternoon (est time) on a blocked ID number and accuse me of lying about the condition of my car at their shop and the condition of it after I picked it up.

He also threatened to say I committed insurance fraud because he apparently has several people from his shop (his father and another worker) that supposedly heard me say I was racing a Mustang that resulted in my motor blowing up. Which I wasn't.

Also, if you read my previous post from earlier in the year, about my low oil, ticking, rough sounding engine. I drove the car around and did a single 2-5k rpm pull. (Not even close to what racing shifts should be). I did not include bottoming out in there because I have bottomed out way worse before and did not think it would had that effect on it. With that said I wanted to put that out there so that someone doesn't bring up that post and be like oh why didnt u mention this.

Continuing,
He kept swearing on the phone, saying that I was "F'ing liar bro" and that my car was cleaned and that he had someone professionally cleaned my car prior to me picking it up. On top of that, he said my car wouldn't have ran if the O2s were really unplugged from his shop (once again no idea if thats true or not, I would assume it would just get terrible gas mileage and stay in open loop).

Lawton Jr told me to kiss my military benefits and schooling away (GI Bill).

"You're soooo F*****D Bro, you're in the military, you're done"

Like I said earlier I was going to leave this alone until Lawton Jr decided to call me yesterday afternoon threatening me and saying how much of a liar so I called the San Diego Police department about the supposed break in of my car at their shop and what do you know, no reports were found. Gee. What a surprise.
I hate hearing about people getting ****ed. I hate even more when the the people that ****ed you try and bully you.

You're smart in documenting this incident here - I would also write it down somewhere else and the shop that helped you - maybe ask if he can write a letter about the condition of your ride when he first saw it.

As far as the guy threantneing your military career - I don't get that tell him to eat **** and die.

Good luck bro' and remember karma is a bitch.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

What a shop owner douche. Sounds like he let your car be abused and was just draining your cash for his profit. I would never do business with a creepy shop like that.

Get notified of new replies

To My experience with two shops...want you guys to know how it went down. Long Read

Old 10-23-2014, 07:57 PM
BLKZ0SIX
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys.

I didn't want to start anything with the shop but to inform the Corvette people of my experience and just move on...but to call me and threaten me and my veteran benefits is somewhat low, I'd say.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:25 AM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKZ0SIX
...but to call me and threaten me and my veteran benefits is somewhat low, I'd say.
That's an understatement...
Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

OK we heard your story---and what a story it was.
Now get serious and contact BBB and what ever consumer
dept's that are in Calf. You might contact a lawyer. Play
your cards right and you may end up with a free engine.
You will need to work alittle to make things right. As far
as the threat's ----check legal at your post. Good luck.

Quick Reply: My experience with two shops...want you guys to know how it went down. Long Read