Sponsored by:

remote 12 CD player always powered on

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 AM
jamescaryl
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote 12 CD player always powered on

I just purchased a 2002 convertible last week (what a car!) and it has a remote (trunk mounted) Pioneer 12 disc CD player. My question is: Is the power always supposed to be on to this unit? With all the parasitic drain on these cars, this would seem to be a battery killer. I have disconnected the wire harness to the CD player until I can figure this out.
Can anyone provide some advise? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:08 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by jamescaryl
I just purchased a 2002 convertible last week (what a car!) and it has a remote (trunk mounted) Pioneer 12 disc CD player. My question is: Is the power always supposed to be on to this unit? With all the parasitic drain on these cars, this would seem to be a battery killer. I have disconnected the wire harness to the CD player until I can figure this out.
If your car sits for more than a week without driving it's best to use a battery tender and not worry about it.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:38 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by jamescaryl
If it were me with that setup (which it is not as I don't have the remote CD player in the back), I would rewire it so that the power is from a switched source. IMO there really is no good reason to have constant power to that unit, given the drain it puts on the battery. This of course would also mitigate some of the need for a battery tender (or at least reduce the need for it as frequently as some suggest).

Last edited by thisMSGgood4me; 10-18-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:20 AM
TintingKC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It always has power so you can eject or change the cartridge. They require very little power so you probably won't notice much if any difference having it disconnected.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:22 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
If it were me with that setup (which it is not as I don't have the remote CD player in the back), I would rewire it so that the power is from a switched source. IMO there really is no good reason to have constant power to that unit, given the drain it puts on the battery. This of course would also mitigate some of the need for a battery tender (or at least reduce the need for it as frequently as some suggest).
If you did that, you probably would get an error message. Not to mention it would probably cycle thru all the CDs when you power it up like it does when you reconnect the battery. Best not to monkey with the electronics on these cars.

Last edited by JR-01; 10-19-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:35 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It seems to me that GM wouldn't have installed equipment that would drain the battery. I wish I had a changer but they are too expensive.
Fred
Old 10-19-2014, 11:45 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by memmer
It seems to me that GM wouldn't have installed equipment that would drain the battery. I wish I had a changer but they are too expensive.
Fred
GM did. That's why they recommend disconnecting the battery if car isn't driven for 3 weeks.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:14 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
If you did that, you probably would get an error message. Not to mention it would probably cycle thru all the CDs when you power it up like it does when you reconnect the battery. Best not to monkey with the electronics on these cars.
Unless you are a automotive electrical engineer, lol. No savings to be had by rewiring except grief...go out enjoy your new ride. Wishing you many happy miles/smiles.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:53 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by TintingKC
It always has power so you can eject or change the cartridge. They require very little power so you probably won't notice much if any difference having it disconnected.
You mean you can't put your key in the ignition and turn it to ACC, so you can eject or change the cartridge? Or just too lazy?

Apparently it uses more power than you think, always being "ON", if it's capable of running the battery down in only a week (as some here say).
Old 10-19-2014, 06:00 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by JR-01
How and why would you get an ERR message? The head unit is off when the ignition is OFF, and when the ignition is to either ACC or ON, the head unit and CD changer would be ON, therefore no ERR message.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:03 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by El original
Unless you are a automotive electrical engineer, lol. No savings to be had by rewiring except grief...go out enjoy your new ride. Wishing you many happy miles/smiles.
Why do you think it takes an automotive electrical engineer to change an accessory from an unswitched power source to a switched power source? I don't think it does, but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:08 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
How and why would you get an ERR message? The head unit is off when the ignition is OFF, and when the ignition is to either ACC or ON, the head unit and CD changer would be ON, therefore no ERR message.
The computer scans components and if the changer doesn't have power when it's supposed to an error code could be created . Adding a shut off switch to the changer might create new problems. Current draw is minimal so why mess with it?
Many of the electrical problems in these cars are caused by changing things from factory. The forums are filled with them.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:04 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
For most sensor devices in the C5 this is a true statement. But for the 12 disk CD changer there is no sensor and hence no codes (DTC's) could ever be generated. I have a factory 12 disk changer in the back of my 04 C5 and the cable to it has been disconnected for years. No messages or codes what so ever.

Even when I press the AUX CD button on the radio there are NO messages. Of course the aux CD doesn't play and without knowing the cable is disconnected you have no clue as to why.
OK
I thought the changer was scanned since there is a code for the radio. U1128 Everything else seems to have a code. Just figured the changer would too.

I still think it's a bad idea to mess with the power to the changer.

Last edited by JR-01; 10-19-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:30 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

There's a difference in having power to it, and being powered on. It is not powered on until you slide the door open to eject the cartridge, or turn the radio control unit on. Your power antenna has power to it, but doesn't drain the battery because the power isn't used until you turn the radio off or on. That's true of other circuits as well.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:33 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
There's a difference in having power to it, and being powered on. It is not powered on until you slide the door open to eject the cartridge, or turn the radio control unit on. Your power antenna has power to it, but doesn't drain the battery because the power isn't used until you turn the radio off or on. That's true of other circuits as well.
So it doesn't drain the battery at all. What is the biggest drain? The security system?
Old 10-20-2014, 01:40 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are you making problem where none exists?

Get notified of new replies

To remote 12 CD player always powered on

Quick Reply: remote 12 CD player always powered on