C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5s in winter?

Old 10-19-2014, 01:02 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Too bad they don't make studded snows for the winter driving. Get another set of wheels to mount them on then you're all set.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:56 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by donald4972
Some of 'us' are old enough to remember putting snow tires on in the late fall every year, or watching and helping our fathers put them on, and even chains. Remember winter tires sold with studs in them?

I got caught up over 10,000 feet, in Rocky Mountain Natl Park, in my Corvette in a snow storm once. These big tires, turn into 'skis', if you are not very careful, needless to say, in fresh snow.

I used to own a Lincoln Mark VIII, when still lived in Illinois. An amazing car with the 300 hp engine. Loved that car! But it was helpless in winter (rear wheel drive). Then, I got 'snow tires' for it, threw a bag of sand in the rear trunk, and it was so much improved. Ahhh, the lessons our fathers taught us...

Don
I do remember chains and studded snow tires. They outlawed chains and studded tires years ago in Illinois because they tore up the roads. Funny, I bought a new '69 Plymouth Roadrunner when I got home from Vietnam and drove it through the winter. I did the same with my '70 Nova SS 396 and never gave it a second thought. I guess we're somewhat spoiled today with front-wheel drive.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:07 PM
eddie gold
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sahhas
i'm curious if anyone who owns a C5 drives it in the winter cold months or in light snow accumulation?

i ask b/c when reading the book "all corvettes are red" they talked about the extensive testing of C5s corvettes in cold and snow (in canada, north MN, etc)....just curious if folks had any experience w/ this....

i ask b/c when my wife and i had a 79 mazda rx7, we drove it in the winter (from 86-89)....w/ moderate success-engine had a hard time starting in extreme cold and of course w/ RWD in heavy snow was hard.....
Ive taken mine out on clear single digit days, Its just loves the cold air I swear in makes another 25 horse, As far as snow go slow in a couple inches, forget about it with 6 inches or more. Snow Plow
Old 10-19-2014, 08:47 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Like a several have said. Tires make a big difference.

I drove a couple of my C4's all year. With summer tires (BFG Comp TA) when it got cold it got slippery even on dry roads. I went with an all season tire and it was much better. I drove it through light snow frequently and a couple of times deeper snow caught me. I was surprised how well the car tracked and was stable. Just use caution and don't try to explore the limits of Corvette performance and it can work pretty well all year.

I have changed a little (and have nicer cars) and now I will not drive them if there is salt on the roads. So that generally means no snow, but if the roads are clear I try to use the car all year.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:34 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Been driving in the winter with the C5 for the past 10 years. Went through 1 set of snow tires already. I only got stuck once, when I beached the car in front of my office, otherwise, if you're smart about it and use winter tires, it will run fine. Car is about to hit 200k miles!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

I don't know if they still do it, but early on in the C-5s history, Goodyear made snow tires in the correct sizes. Problem is, wide tires SUCK in the snow, and there really aren't any alternative "narrow" tires available, with the correct OD.

That's why my C-5 sits out the winters.....as well as the damage road salt can do to a car.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Pirelli now makes the SottoZero 240 performance snow tire in the correct C5 non-z06 size (run flat too). When my current Goodyear EMT snows wear out I will be buying those. The first 2 years I didn't drive my C5 in the snow, but afterwards, I was like it's my DD- screw it. When I saw how well it did with snow tires I wound up continuing to drive in the winter. 10 years and 150k later (I first got the snow tires in 2004) my car hasn't fallen apart yet
Old 10-20-2014, 10:33 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Sacrilege!!! lol
Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

People generally go overboard for a winter vehicle. Thinking they need the most capable car/truck for year-round use for the chance of snowmagedon.

In general, the C5 is fine in snow, transmission over the rear wheels, LSD, traction control, etc. But the summer tires are not going to cut it in snow/ice, a set of winter tires will make the car MUCH more capable in cold temps/snow accumulation. My last few winter cars were lowered from factory ride height and RWD. None had an issue with moderate-heavy snow, the front of the car merely acts as a plow.

If the snow is deep enough to get stuck on the roads, likely you would need an SUV anyways. If you have to go in un-plowed area's, AWD/4WD is a must (more than ground clearance). But as for main street driving, there were a handful of days over 15 years where my H1 was the ONLY vehicle on the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5s in winter?