Sponsored by:

VERT Antenna Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 AM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Default VERT Antenna Options

I have a 2001 Vert with the retractable antenna. I've changed out the stereo and no longer need the antenna as there are now XM and GPS receivers. Has anyone seen a "shorty antenna" for use on a Vert to replace the retractable?

I mistakenly bought the shorty for the FRC and it does not work. Ideally, I'd like to take out the retractable and fill the hole but not ready for that.

I realize I can disconnect the retractable antenna but I'm looking for options.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

When I upgraded my system to a double din NAV, I simply pulled the fuse so the antenna does not extend. I listen to my iPod library most of the time, yet the reception is still good enough to get the local broadcast stations. If I take a road trip and need to pick up more stations, I simply plug the fuse back in.

There was an earlier thread where one member installed a fixed antenna inside the rear fender and indicated that he had great reception. I might try that someday, however for now, my fuse fix works for me and gets rid of the radio-controlled toy car look.

Last edited by MSG C5; 10-19-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:40 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the first things I did when I bought my vert is install a signal amplifier with a small antenna to replace the power antenna, as I think the power antenna is rather unsightly on an otherwise very nice and streamlined car.

I don't know if you want to actually use the radio in your car, as your first post was kind of unclear if you're looking for an aethetic improvement to delete the antenna, or just looking for an antenna that's usable but better looking.

The amplified antenna I used works fine around the city, but it definitely doesn't pick up radio stations as well when you're away from a metro area as I found out on a recent road trip, but I'm happy with it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-install.html
Old 10-19-2014, 04:21 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55
One of the first things I did when I bought my vert is install a signal amplifier with a small antenna to replace the power antenna, as I think the power antenna is rather unsightly on an otherwise very nice and streamlined car.

I don't know if you want to actually use the radio in your car, as your first post was kind of unclear if you're looking for an aethetic improvement to delete the antenna, or just looking for an antenna that's usable but better looking.

The amplified antenna I used works fine around the city, but it definitely doesn't pick up radio stations as well when you're away from a metro area as I found out on a recent road trip, but I'm happy with it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-install.html
Actually looking for something that looks better than the power antenna as I don't really need the power antenna any more. When the car is resprayed I'll take the antenna out and plug the hole in the side of the car. In the mean time just looking for something that looks better and I thought I could live with a short antenna if someone made one for a vert. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2014, 05:07 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

I installed a switch which keeps the power antenna in the down position unless I need it to listen to the ball game. (The green toggle is for the antenna, the red lighted rocker is for the GPS)

Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
When I upgraded my system to a double din NAV, I simply pulled the fuse so the antenna does not extend. I listen to my iPod library most of the time, yet the reception is still good enough to get the local broadcast stations. If I take a road trip and need to pick up more stations, I simply plug the fuse back in.

There was an earlier thread where one member installed a fixed antenna inside the rear fender and indicated that he had great reception. I might try that someday, however for now, my fuse fix works for me and gets rid of the radio-controlled toy car look.
When I had to have my right rear fender repaired I had the hole filled in. I took my Z06 fixed antenna and turned it sideways inside the rear bumper behind the taillights. It works perfectly. I don't know why the car wasn't designed to have a hidden antenna in the first place.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:28 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Would installing the bottom part from the FRC work? I put the shorty antennae on my 03Z and think it's a big improvement over the stock look.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:59 AM
msgvert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to use a short antenna on a convertible you have to use the bracket from a Z06 or FRC. I found one on eBay.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:45 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Perfect - the solution that works for me! Thanks!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 PM
C5 Convertible
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgunn
I installed a switch which keeps the power antenna in the down position unless I need it to listen to the ball game. (The green toggle is for the antenna, the red lighted rocker is for the GPS)

How did you connect the switch to control the power antenna?
What wires did you connect with ?

Get notified of new replies

To VERT Antenna Options

Quick Reply: VERT Antenna Options