Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No I meant my vert never scrolls "corvette by chevrolet".

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 01:35 PM
steelman63
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No I meant my vert never scrolls "corvette by chevrolet".

thanks for all the funny answers to my earlier post. as the title says my car never scrolls "Corvette by Chevrolet" even on startup? Do I have something set wrong?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Does it scroll "Mustang by Ford"?
You may have gotten into the wrong car.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by steelman63
Do I have something set wrong?
As far as I know, there is nothing you can set to turn off the message.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:09 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Follow up from my post on this yesterday:

Mine does it all day long if I turn the key to ACC to turn the power on...but if I just stick the key in and start the engine I see it start to scroll for just a very quick second until the engine starts...then the DIC is blank.

All buttons work and everything else is fine.

I know this is a petty detail but on my 2003 coupe it does NOT complete scrolling "Corvette by Chevrolet" once I turn the key far enough to start the car. Verified it today.

Last edited by jjaaam; 10-19-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Is it possible your computer is not turning off? If what you're saying is correct, IMHO one way that can happen is if the computer is not turning off for some reason. The cycle that occurs is, the computer turns off. When it is summoned to turn on, the program triggers the "Corvette by Chevrolet" to appear. If for some reason, your computer is remaining "on", then the computer does not go through that part of the program and the message will not be triggered. If this estimation is correct, disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting should cause the computer to go through the complete cycle and the "Corvette by Chevrolet" should appear, but exactly when it would occur I don't know. It may happen the second you reattach the battery.
Other than this, I can't imagine why the program would change as I believe this program is burned in.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:24 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Is it possible your computer is not turning off? If what you're saying is correct, IMHO one way that can happen is if the computer is not turning off for some reason. The cycle that occurs is, the computer turns off. When it is summoned to turn on, the program triggers the "Corvette by Chevrolet" to appear. If for some reason, your computer is remaining "on", then the computer does not go through that part of the program and the message will not be triggered. If this estimation is correct, disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting should cause the computer to go through the complete cycle and the "Corvette by Chevrolet" should appear, but exactly when it would occur I don't know. It may happen the second you reattach the battery.
Other than this, I can't imagine why the program would change as I believe this program is burned in.
Not sure if you were replying to the OP or to me, but as some of the other posts have humorously stated, I can turn the key to ACC, watch it scroll, turn it off, turn it to ACC, watch it scroll...rinse, lather, repeat.

Once that key goes to "Start" and the engine fires up it stops scrolling.

Of course, when you just jump in and start the car on a normal basis you don't "hold" the key at the ACC position so maybe that's why the OP is not seeing the scrolling.

Mine is a 2003. Different programs for different model years maybe?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:22 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jjaaam
Not sure if you were replying to the OP or to me, but as some of the other posts have humorously stated, I can turn the key to ACC, watch it scroll, turn it off, turn it to ACC, watch it scroll...rinse, lather, repeat.

Once that key goes to "Start" and the engine fires up it stops scrolling.

Of course, when you just jump in and start the car on a normal basis you don't "hold" the key at the ACC position so maybe that's why the OP is not seeing the scrolling.

Mine is a 2003. Different programs for different model years maybe?
jjaaam, I was responding to the OP, but your post got me thinking. So I went out to the garage and tried to turn the key fast enough to bypass the introduction. I couldn't move the key that fast. The "Corvette by..." popped up immediately. I was able to avoid the "...by Chevrolet" only. I have an 04 with an A4. My only concern for the OP is that there is something really wrong going on. My experience with a programmed chip is once they start malfunctioning, they get worse in a hurry. Maybe you're correct about a different year, like an earlier Vette not having the same program.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:32 PM
jjaaam
Pro

jjaaam, I was responding to the OP, but your post got me thinking. So I went out to the garage and tried to turn the key fast enough to bypass the introduction. I couldn't move the key that fast. The "Corvette by..." popped up immediately. I was able to avoid the "...by Chevrolet" only. I have an 04 with an A4. My only concern for the OP is that there is something really wrong going on. My experience with a programmed chip is once they start malfunctioning, they get worse in a hurry. Maybe you're correct about a different year, like an earlier Vette not having the same program.
That's exactly what mine does (2003 A4).

The "Corvette" flashes very briefly when the key passes through the ACC position. Once it goes to start the engine and it is running the "by Chevrolet" never shows.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:44 PM
jjaaam
Pro

That's exactly what mine does (2003 A4).

The "Corvette" flashes very briefly when the key passes through the ACC position. Once it goes to start the engine and it is running the "by Chevrolet" never shows.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:58 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I turn my key to "on" and let the fuel pump prime before starting the car and I always see the "corvette by Chevrolet" completely. I also see the full gauge sweep before I actually start the car. 01z06 here.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:55 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
I turn my key to "on" and let the fuel pump prime before starting the car and I always see the "corvette by Chevrolet" completely. I also see the full gauge sweep before I actually start the car. 01z06 here.
And the total miles flash briefly....
Old 10-20-2014, 10:48 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by steelman63
thanks for all the funny answers to my earlier post. as the title says my car never scrolls "Corvette by Chevrolet" even on startup? Do I have something set wrong?
It should scroll that script every time you go to start the car. Don't remember if it does it when you first put the key or not. My car is not at my house.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if the IPC reboots. If not, your IPC may be the issue. I think that scroll is stored in the IPC and not anywhere else like in the PCM which is where the gauge sweep signals come from. I would be VERY surprised if it can be programmed out/in by a Tech II.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Mine scrolls "Corvette by Evil-Twin" and keeps giving me warnings about "Low Zaino Usage" on the DIC.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't know your Driving a Corvette by Chevrolet already???? Having a Senior moment??
Old 10-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Black 02
Mine scrolls "Corvette by Evil-Twin" and keeps giving me warnings about "Low Zaino Usage" on the DIC.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
When you turn the key to "on" the computer automatically gives a 2 second pulse to the fuel pumps to 'prime' the fuel system. It then shuts them off until the oil pressure comes up. Leaving the key in the "on" position does not increase the amount of fuel going to the system.

FWIW, the 2001 and up cars have a check valve in the fuel filter to keep the fuel in the system. If you have trouble starting your car on the initial attempt, but it starts fine on the second attempt, it's likely you are having a fuel filter problem. The damn filter costs over $100.

Ask me how I know.....
Old 10-20-2014, 01:55 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
When you turn the key to "on" the computer automatically gives a 2 second pulse to the fuel pumps to 'prime' the fuel system. It then shuts them off until the oil pressure comes up. Leaving the key in the "on" position does not increase the amount of fuel going to the system.

FWIW, the 2001 and up cars have a check valve in the fuel filter to keep the fuel in the system. If you have trouble starting your car on the initial attempt, but it starts fine on the second attempt, it's likely you are having a fuel filter problem. The damn filter costs over $100.

Ask me how I know.....
The "corvette by Chevrolet" takes that long to scroll. So by reading that I know the system is properly primed before starting.

Get notified of new replies

To No I meant my vert never scrolls "corvette by chevrolet".

Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM
steelman63
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yea If I notice if I wait a second it scrolls "Corvette by Chevrolet" but either I'm fast or my car starts fast because I can start it before it scrolls anything.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
You don't know your Driving a Corvette by Chevrolet already???? Having a Senior moment??
So THAT'S why they put that statement in there.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:24 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

My cluster energizes when the key is turned to the ON position, not the ACC position. The ACC position just powers the same stuff the retained accessory power does - mostly the radio and windows.

My cluster will not display the intro message at all if the key is quickly turned past the ON position to the START position.

There are no settings to change how that message works or what is displayed. It's hard-coded into the DIC programming.

On another note - The fuel pump is never controlled by the oil pressure.

Quick Reply: No I meant my vert never scrolls "corvette by chevrolet".