Sponsored by:

Led drl issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:30 PM
cjn1008
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Led drl issues

Added white LED bulbs to Front Turn/DRL on my '03 VERT. Blinkers now flash fast along with flashing instrument lights.. When driving the DRL also flash unless you turn on the parking or headlights, they stop flashing then. Also, the alarm sounds instantly when set (with key fob) with no delay. I added the resisters today "I think" correctly. Black wire to black (ground) and the red to the wire for the blinkers, not the parking lamps. Added to both front sockets. Still same results. I see that others are using the LED for the same application and not sure what I need to do to get these to work correctly. Appreciate any help! Thanks
Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing I would do is install a hyper flash harness and see if the other problems remain afterwards.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:31 PM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Those resistors are dangerous trash get a HyperFlash harness
Old 10-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I converted all my bulbs, front and rear signals, side lights, DRL etc, to LED so I chose the HyperFlash harness rather than screwing around with the resistors. May cost a bit more but no where as trouble some as the individual resistors. Everything worked first time. JMHO
Same here.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by cjn1008
Added white LED bulbs to Front Turn/DRL on my '03 VERT. Blinkers now flash fast along with flashing instrument lights..
Couple of questions on part of your original post.

1. when you say flashing instrument lights, do you mean just the left/right green blinker lights are flashing in the instrument panel, or are multiple lights flashing within the instrument cluster?

2. what type led bulbs are you using in the drl/turn signal sockets? name/type.

Also, what happens when you remove the resistors and replace the LED drl lights with your original halogen bulbs?

Last edited by MAC5; 10-20-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:17 PM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same problem last week and it's a simple fix. The bulbs you purchased are for the can bus system and will not work in Gm vehicles. You need led bulbs that are not marked for can bus. Sorry to say, but you wasted your money on those. They won't refund bulbs.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilash
First thing I would do is install a hyper flash harness and see if the other problems remain afterwards.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:22 PM
raydawg357
Pro

I also have the hyper flash harness installed but the can bus led bulbs do not function properly with our set up.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:20 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by raydawg357
Had the same problem last week and it's a simple fix. The bulbs you purchased are for the can bus system and will not work in Gm vehicles. You need led bulbs that are not marked for can bus. Sorry to say, but you wasted your money on those. They won't refund bulbs.
Good call, that's where I was going when I asked the OP if he put the original halogens back did all the problems go away. One of the LED's I received from a vendor was the incorrect one, when I put it in the car had a couple of of the same problems the OP's did except for the alarm issue and the flashing drl's.

Either way, would recommend the hyperflash harness versus the resistor route once he gets the bulb issue resolved.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:27 PM
raydawg357
Pro

With the can bus bulbs installed mine did exactly as the OP described. My horn began to blow when I tried to lock my vehicle. Once I removed the can bus bulbs the problem when away. I'm now running switch backs and I love them.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 PM
cjn1008
Heel & Toe

Great points, thanks. Not 100% sure what "can bus bulbs" are? The bulbs were purchased from Auto Zone and made by Pilot Automotive. They are type 3157 but the package indicated they also replace the 4157 that the turn/DRL call for. They are obviously 12 volt bulbs with 15 LEDS IN each. Also not familiar with the terminology "switch backs" and would appreciate if you can possibly provide me with some added info. Are these possibly the ones that switch from amber to white for the DRL and the turn signals? I have heard about the hyper flash harness and saw that on another sight. Not too concerned about having bought the wrong bulbs should this be the case and don't mind spending the additional $$$ to get it right, but, hate to continue making the wrong decisions. Like to get this done right this next time so I can move on to bigger and better changes. Next, the short throw shifter! I do appreciate the great advise and will look forward to hearing what is the right move on this LED application.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:44 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Great points, thanks. Not 100% sure what "can bus bulbs" are? The bulbs were purchased from Auto Zone and made by Pilot Automotive. They are type 3157 but the package indicated they also replace the 4157 that the turn/DRL call for. They are obviously 12 volt bulbs with 15 LEDS IN each. Also not familiar with the terminology "switch backs" and would appreciate if you can possibly provide me with some added info. Are these possibly the ones that switch from amber to white for the DRL and the turn signals? I have heard about the hyper flash harness and saw that on another sight. Not too concerned about having bought the wrong bulbs should this be the case and don't mind spending the additional $$$ to get it right, but, hate to continue making the wrong decisions. Like to get this done right this next time so I can move on to bigger and better changes. Next, the short throw shifter! I do appreciate the great advise and will look forward to hearing what is the right move on this LED application.
There are several forum vendors who sell the switchback drl lights specific to the C5 application. Switchbacks are simply the front turnsignal/parking lamp/and drl light bulb. They will function as follows
DRL - amber color
Turnsignal - amber, and depending on vendors bulb, white to amber
Parking lamp - white

Some of the vendors are Radioflyer, corvettemods, jwmotoring. Do a search on those names and you'll find the links.
The following users liked this post:
ShagVette (02-22-2019)
Old 10-21-2014, 01:49 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

We have exactly what you need here. These are made to work with the C5.

We offer white, amber, and switchbacks here at JWM

Amber- http://www.jwmotorsportsllc.com/C5-a...f-2_p_148.html

White- contact me they are not listed on the new site yet

and

Switchbacks-http://www.jwmotorsportsllc.com/C5-H...ess_p_145.html

Be sure to grab a harness as well

http://www.jwmotorsportsllc.com/C5-H...ess_p_145.html

Pm/email with any questions you may have.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:26 PM
cjn1008
Heel & Toe

Added the hyper flash harness as suggested! All good now! That was definitely the answer. Got rid of the can bus bulbs and have added numerous LED bulbs and everything is working well. Thanks again for all the advise.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good deal you got it solved. The hyperflash harness works very well and not difficult to install.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:39 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by OKZ06
Those resistors are dangerous trash get a HyperFlash harness
Curious as to why the resistors are "dangerous trash". Are you referring to the resistors marketed by the vendors that sell the LED bulbs?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:43 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Can Bus LEDs are just LEDs with resistors. This was primarily done so that cars that can indicate if a bulb is out will not think the LED is out. A plain LED can cause the computer to indicate that the bulb location is burned out because of the low resistance. C5s do not have this bulb indication feature like my wife's Lexus.

I see no reason why a Can Bus LED will not work in a C5. If you disagree I would like to see a technical explanation.

Adding resistors defeats the low power consumption (and low heat generation) of the LED. If I were to install LEDs I would use the Hyperflash harness and not use/install resistors. Of course the Hyperflash harness does not change the rate of flashing when using the Hazard function since the Hyperflash only affects the turn signal circuits.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:35 PM
jversteegh
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED DRL Issue

I know this is old thread, but I am having exact same issue as OP. Had front bumper replaced and installed new LED housings/switchback DRLs and signal bulbs from Radio Flyer. I trust George's products but am a little frustrated. I did not get to body shop in time to install hyper flash harness (also from Radio Flyer), body shop was concerned with issue, I installed harness but still have issue. Any ideas? Have not re-installed original amber lights, but it is next option this weekend. Want to keep LEDs...

Get notified of new replies

To Led drl issues

Quick Reply: Led drl issues