Sponsored by:

HUD/DIC LED Intensity Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Sengdemund
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default HUD/DIC LED Intensity Issue

Just got done doing the gauge bezels and the final LED's in the HUD/DIC. The only issue I noticed is the two of the buttons are MUCH more intense than all of the others after the swap out (HUD slider and Brightness Control).

See below for pics and they dont really show just how much of a difference it is between them and all the others.

I know that some are different due to filters in the buttons themselves, but to be honest, I'm not too happy with it especially with the work it takes to get 'em done. If it's normal, I'll shut up and color. If it is abnormal, any ideas on why it ended up that way?

Last edited by Sengdemund; 10-20-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You may have to put in a larger resistance in the circuit to cut down on the brightness. Any chance those two LEDs are different from the others?

If it were the buttons themselves you probably should have seen a difference before.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:48 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can also take some rough sandpaper and roughen up the surface of the LEDs and it will help make them less intense and spread their light out better.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:46 PM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't bother with resistors when the fix is easier (and safer: resistors turn current into heat). Take a black touchup paint pen and throw a dot, or two on the LED to reduce the total surface that can throw off light. Don't cover the whole thing, but do it in steps. If you put too much on, a razorblade will scrape it off.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 PM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell a difference on my dimmer bulb as well. It's the same LEDs that I put in the other areas but I think that dimmer area has a blue material in it so on mine it looks a little bluer than the rest.

It looks like the main problem here is that you aren't happy with it but you already have it all back together which really sucks. I've been there. If it bugs you, go ahead and fix it as other have mentioned.

Get notified of new replies

To HUD/DIC LED Intensity Issue

Quick Reply: HUD/DIC LED Intensity Issue