Sponsored by:

Putting Things In Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Default Putting Things In Perspective

I entered my car in a local car show this past Sunday, and having read many complaints from C5 owners here on the forums about unfair judging, car club politics, yadda, yadda, yadda, I thought I'd share my perspective.

There were multiple awards given out. I didn't win any.

There were several "Best Of" awards as well. I didn't win any.

And you know what? I didn't care.

My car was too new according to the show rules, but because of my car club affiliation I was granted a space to show off a car that I love, not to mention the show added my entry fee to the money earned. I spent the entire show talking to visitors and other car enthusiasts who just loved what I have done to my car and how clean I keep it. I smiled during the entire show, as did my 11 year-old daughter who accompanied me to the show; she loves my car just as much as I do.

At the end of the day, despite not having won any awards, I went home happy. I was happy because 100% of the proceeds of the show went directly to a local orphanage. The kids from the orphanage spent the time during the show laughing and smiling from pure enjoyment of the cars. These kids were given the opportunity to select one car for a "Kids Choice" award, which turned out to be a heated debate among them as they debated whether my car or a monster truck would receive the award. This being Texas, the truck won, but it felt great to share my car with the kids and bring a smile to their faces.

As far as I'm concerned, when I can bring such happiness and share my love of my car with a large group of kids who have had a really tough life, who cares about awards, car club politics, or "fairness" of judging? It's about the love of the cars and what we can do with them to help others, not trophies or plaques.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:07 PM
RichardBumpus
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Award

Well said, sir. Thank you.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm glad you helped the children instead of acting like a child when you didn't get an award. A+
Old 10-20-2014, 01:16 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

This is an excellent example of someone having the right set of priorities. Well done, Corvette_Ed.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I entered my car in a local car show this past Sunday, and having read many complaints from C5 owners here on the forums about unfair judging, car club politics, yadda, yadda, yadda, I thought I'd share my perspective.

My car was too new according to the show rules, but because of my car club affiliation I was granted a space to show off a car that I love, not to mention the show added my entry fee to the money earned. I spent the entire show talking to visitors and other car enthusiasts who just loved what I have done to my car and how clean I keep it. I smiled during the entire show, as did my 11 year-old daughter who accompanied me to the show; she loves my car just as much as I do.

At the end of the day, despite not having won any awards, I went home happy. I was happy because 100% of the proceeds of the show went directly to a local orphanage. The kids from the orphanage spent the time during the show laughing and smiling from pure enjoyment of the cars. These kids were given the opportunity to select one car for a "Kids Choice" award, which turned out to be a heated debate among them as they debated whether my car or a monster truck would receive the award. This being Texas, the truck won, but it felt great to share my car with the kids and bring a smile to their faces.

As far as I'm concerned, when I can bring such happiness and share my love of my car with a large group of kids who have had a really tough life, who cares about awards, car club politics, or "fairness" of judging? It's about the love of the cars and what we can do with them to help others, not trophies or plaques.
GREAT post!!

A Vette is just a car...but not just ANY car. Owning one should be about enjoying it and letting others that may not have the opportunity to have one enjoy it as well.

Car shows and the associated things that come with them...how fast you can get it to go...how clean you can keep it...mileage debates (high vs. low)...they all take away from that basic ideal.

I can just about guarantee that people that desire one but can't for any particular reason don't give a rat's rear end about all of those things...they just would like to become a part of the "brotherhood" and be able to give the wave.

We should consider ourselves blessed to be able to do so. I know I do.

Last edited by jjaaam; 10-20-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:24 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Whatever it takes to justify that you're a LOSER!

Kidding, I never expect much attention at shows when there are exotics with options worth as much as my car. Glad you had a great time and supported a great cause!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

That sounds like a great event. I'm glad you went and enjoyed it.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:15 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree....I never go to win...I go to contribute to charity and enjoy good company. That's worth the price.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:48 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Nice to read a post about happiness and sharing.

I know what you mean about the c5, I don't see them at shows much, they are still just used cars in world of car shows. I think you might have gone away with more from the experience than you could ever fit in the trunk.

I like it that children's joy can be infectious, if you have the interest.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Good stuff Ed.

There's people who can't possibly over do their cars any more than what they are just to win an award. Less is always more, but some people take it way too far.

I think i even read about a guy here contacting the people hosting a show because he didn't win anything.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
Good stuff Ed.
Thanks Maxx and everyone.

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
I think i even read about a guy here contacting the people hosting a show because he didn't win anything.
That was one of the threads I had in mind when I started this one. People like that miss the point of the shows. It's not about winning; it's about sharing a common love for our cars, and for me, it's also about charity and what I can do to give a little back.

At the end of the day, I get to drive a Corvette every day. It's mine, and it's paid for. Any car show award pales in comparison to that.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:12 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Good perspective Ed - -

We've taken three different Corvettes to the Prescott show over the years - - had a beautiful clean, slightly modified Precision Red C6 that we took a couple of years - - -this was the second year we've brought up the immaculate "Blue Deuce" to the show and like the C6 - -a lot of nice comments and photos - - but no awards . . and frankly, there shouldn't have been any because they weren't 'special cars'.

Now, the torch red `73 that I restored over the course of a couple years - - that's another story and the car took 3rd place one year and second place the next behind an immaculate big block `70 roadster that took first - --as it should be- it was a wonderful car but I was honored to be the runner up.

It was a peoples choice event -- not an NCCC concourse event or NCRS. I felt proud of the fact that the restoration work I did was recognized on my 40 year old car.

But there are some really tricked out cars that have had a lot of time, effort and money spent - - -my perfectly clean, well waxed C5 coupe with the personal touches is really nice- but not an award winner and I'm absolutely cool with that too.

I like your perspective - -good comments.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:28 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
This is an excellent example of someone having the right set of priorities. Well done, Corvette_Ed.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by CQRT
We've taken three different Corvettes to the Prescott show over the years
If things go as planned I'll be joining you out there next year. I'm looking for an IT job in the Phoenix/Mesa area now as I just completed my Bachelor's degree.

I'm looking forward to even more sunshine than here in Texas, and best of all, no humidity!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:42 PM
sea5like
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed

for me, that's what it's all about. You're on the right road in this life. Keep it up.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:46 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Well said......sounds like you made some life lessons and memories for your daughter.......very cool
Old 10-20-2014, 05:01 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey Ed, I read your valve covers and grommets thread last night. picked up the parts last night and tackled it this morning.

In true assbackward fashion I did the plugs and wires the week befor.

thanks for taking the time to post the pics of the valve cover job.

Don

Get notified of new replies

To Putting Things In Perspective

Old 10-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
Hey Ed, I read your valve covers and grommets thread last night. picked up the parts last night and tackled it this morning.

In true assbackward fashion I did the plugs and wires the week befor.

thanks for taking the time to post the pics of the valve cover job.

Don
I'm glad it helped Don.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 PM
wardamncorvette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Your a good man

Tips look damn good my friend

Thanks again
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2014, 06:06 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Good post. Just a reminder where are our priorities.

Quick Reply: Putting Things In Perspective