Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dip Stick Question - Where's the "FULL" Mark"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I let mine drain for a long time, with the back end higher than front, etc.

I initially add ~6.5 quarts, start it up, let it idle for a few mins, then shut it back off and get it back on level ground. After it's back on the ground, over the next 5-10 minutes or so I slowly add a bit of oil until it reaches full. This last change it took right around 7 quarts. It does read a bit over if it sits overnight.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:21 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
If you'd have read on instead of posting this before reading the entire thread, you'd have noticed that I agreed that a half quart would not hurt anything.

Sometimes I can't read all the overanalyzation we do...

No harm meant, was feeling a little frisky last night
Old 10-23-2014, 11:56 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

Do a search and look for the explanation by Evil Twin. If you're putting in 7 quarts you're putting in a half quart too much.
I think I will take the advise from my son who is GM trained and has received the GM World Class Technician designation, which required a lot of extra training and testing outside of the normal work week to achieve the award and designation. He has worked on many Covettes and told me to put 7 quarts when doing an oil and filter change. The dip stick always reads right at the top of the cross hatch area when I do that.

I have done oil changes on all my cars, my wife's cars and kids cars all my life. Way too many cars to remember. Most of them had requirements like 3.8 quarts, 4.7 quarts, 5.7 quarts, etc. I always rounded up and put the final full quart in. Never in 40 years had any engine problems. My wife's current vehicle a 2013 2.0L EcoBoost Ford Escape, the manual says to add 5.7 quarts. I add 6 quarts and it fills it to the top of the cross hatch on that vehicle. Even the Ford techs at the car dealer we bought it from said to add 6 quarts.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:50 AM
Voodoo13
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never change my oil . . . I bought a lifetime oil change from the dealer for $250.00. That was the best deal I ever got from a dealer. They have no idea that I plan to live a long time
I bring it home and it is at the top of the crosshatch area. I have no idea how much oil they put in and I check it every Saturday and it never loses a drop. I check it when it is hot. This is the best car I have ever owned!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick369
I think I will take the advise from my son who is GM trained and has received the GM World Class Technician designation, which required a lot of extra training and testing outside of the normal work week to achieve the award and designation.
Did that extra training include an automotive engineering degree and a spot on the original C5 design team?

As I said, Evil Twin is the man who knows the C5 design better than anyone else here or elsewhere who was not also on the design team.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

Did that extra training include an automotive engineering degree and a spot on the original C5 design team?

As I said, Evil Twin is the man who knows the C5 design better than anyone else here or elsewhere who was not also on the design team.
I worked in Procurement for a large manufacturing company for 33 years. During that time I was on many development teams for new product design with design engineers. I won't go into what I think of engineers. Yes I will trust my World Class GM trained technician son. Works on GM products every day and is intimately knowledgeable about the Corvette. I am sure Evil Twin is very knowledgable about the C5 Corvette but he is not the only one.

Quick Reply: Dip Stick Question - Where's the "FULL" Mark"