Dip Stick Question - Where's the "FULL" Mark"

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:04 PM
DWMJr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dip Stick Question - Where's the "FULL" Mark"

Hi Guys & Gals,
After reading the owners manual regarding checking your oil level in a stock LS1 engine all it says is if the oil level is below the cross hatched area on the dip stick you'll need to add one or more quarts of oil. It doesn't say or show where the full mark is. Anyone know for sure where the "FULL" point is on the dip stick?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:13 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DWMJr
Hi Guys & Gals,
After reading the owners manual regarding checking your oil level in a stock LS1 engine all it says is if the oil level is below the cross hatched area on the dip stick you'll need to add one or more quarts of oil. It doesn't say or show where the full mark is. Anyone know for sure where the "FULL" point is on the dip stick?
Nope.

I just aim for in between the two holes...

Wow...now THAT could be taken the wrong way, couldn't it?!?!

I meant the two holes on the dipstick...
Old 10-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by DWMJr
Hi Guys & Gals,
The top of the cross-hatch section is the full mark.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:44 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed

And is that 6 1/2 quarts or 7 quarts in the pan when it is at the top of the cross-hatch mark?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by phoneman91
And is that 6 1/2 quarts or 7 quarts in the pan when it is at the top of the cross-hatch mark?
The stock LS1 takes 6-1/2 quarts to fill. The space between the bottom and top of the of the cross-hatch section equals one quart.

Remember to check the oil a couple of minutes after the engine has been run. You will get an inaccurate reading if checking when the engine is cold, per the owner's manual instructions.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The stock LS1 takes 6-1/2 quarts to fill. The space between the bottom and top of the of the cross-hatch section equals one quart.

Remember to check the oil a couple of minutes after the engine has been run. You will get an inaccurate reading if checking when the engine is cold, per the owner's manual instructions.
I agree. The top of the cross hatch area, is Full. You want it totally full.
If you track your car, or experience 'G' force on curves, oil will slosh over to one side. This is true in any vehicle. But, in Corvette, due to it's capabilities in cornering, it is even more so, important. Since Corvette was built to race, having oil 'full' is essential, in this regard. There were other features built into the LS1, for this as well. This car was built to race, and nearly full, is not good enough.

Don
Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I also read that the cold and the warm levels will be different. But I see no difference between the two temperature readings . And my 01 LS1 is at the top of the cross hatch at 7 quarts.

And I can't visualize how a cold reading on a dipstick could ever give a false high reading -on any vehicle- batwing oil pan or not. Not arguing though-because I realize that the owners manual says that a cold level reading can be false. It must be that the dipstick on these C5s are calibrated for warm oil and not cold oil like most vehicles.

I measure how much oil is drained during an oil change-and replace the old oil with the same amount of new oil. And always get a low reading in the mid hatch marks --if I add just 6 and one half quarts. Strange!

Last edited by phoneman91; 10-20-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneman91
I also read that the cold and the warm levels will be different. But I see no difference between the two temperature readings . And my 01 LS1 is at the top of the cross hatch at 7 quarts.

And I can't visualize how a cold reading on a dipstick could ever give a false high reading -on any vehicle- batwing oil pan or not. Not arguing though-because I realize that the owners manual says that a cold level reading can be false. It must be that the dipstick on these C5s are calibrated for warm oil and not cold oil like most vehicles.

I measure how much oil is drained during an oil change-and replace the old oil with the same amount of new oil. And always get a low reading in the mid hatch marks --if I add just 6 and one half quarts. Strange!
I have a 2001 vert. I agree with you 100%. When I change my oil and filter I put in 7 quarts. The oil on the dip stick then measures to the top of the cross hatch. I check my oil level in the morning when the car has been sitting over night. I have always done this with any car that I have owned and never had any problems. Don't understand why you would have to run the engine for 5 minutes, turn the car off and then wait 5 minutes to check the level of the oil.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,222 Likes on 13,930 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That is where the oil registers on mine when I put in 6.5 quarts.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM
DWMJr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE Corvette_Ed; The stock LS1 takes 6-1/2 quarts to fill. The space between the bottom and top of the of the cross-hatch section equals one quart.

Remember to check the oil a couple of minutes after the engine has been run. You will get an inaccurate reading if checking when the engine is cold, per the owner's manual instructions.[/QUOTE]

I kind of figured the top of the cross hatched area would be the full mark. As I changed the oil in my 04 for the first time I paid particular attention to the oil level on the dip stick as I added the 5th quart and beyond. I noticed after adding the 6th quart it was still in the cross hatched area so began to add the 7th quart in three stages until the container was empty and this coincided with the oil level being right at the top of the cross hatched area. I should also say that I made sure the new oil filter was totally full before I began adding oil to the crankcase. Now, (and this is were I believe the cold/warm reading stuff comes into play) after running the engine oil up to normal operating temp, and allowing the engine to sit for a few minutes, the oil level reads slightly above the cross hatched area on the dip stick. I'm at a loss to explain why cold vs warm can make a difference in the reading but then again I'm not a design engineer so I'll just go along with the best advise given here and in the manual and put this unanswered question to rest. Thanks to all of you who contributed to my question and rest assured I'll have more questions in the very near future.

PS ~ I don't know why I waited so long to buy my first Corvette, it is far and away the greatest personal/sports car I've ever owned.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rick369
I have a 2001 vert. I agree with you 100%. When I change my oil and filter I put in 7 quarts. The oil on the dip stick then measures to the top of the cross hatch. I check my oil level in the morning when the car has been sitting over night. I have always done this with any car that I have owned and never had any problems. Don't understand why you would have to run the engine for 5 minutes, turn the car off and then wait 5 minutes to check the level of the oil.
Do a search and look for the explanation by Evil Twin. If you're putting in 7 quarts you're putting in a half quart too much.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Do a search and look for the explanation by Evil Twin. If you're putting in 7 quarts you're putting in a half quart too much.
That may be true, but putting in a little too much isn't going to hurt anything. I put "a little too much" (usually about 1/4 of a quart) in all of the vehicles in which I change the oil myself (mine and my kids', a total of five vehicles), simply for the reason that over time, every engine tends to burn at least a little oil between oil changes. I don't go overboard; for example, I put about 6.75 quarts total in the Vette. This way, I generally never have to add any oil before the next oil change (although I do check the levels periodically just to make sure they don't get too low, which I define as being close to or below the low level mark).
Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
I put "a little too much" (usually about 1/4 of a quart) in all of the vehicles in which I change the oil myself (mine and my kids', a total of five vehicles), simply for the reason that over time, every engine tends to burn at least a little oil between oil changes.
I'd have to argue that point, although I do agree that it really won't hurt anything. My car doesn't lose a drop between changes and I check it every time I have the oil changed just to make sure I'm not losing any. My car just rocks that way.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:28 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

I'd have to argue that point, although I do agree that it really won't hurt anything. My car doesn't lose a drop between changes and I check it every time I have the oil changed just to make sure I'm not losing any. My car just rocks that way.
You may think you don't lose any, but the loss occurs, it may just be too imperceptible for you to notice. No combustion engine exists that doesn't burn at least the smallest amount of oil over a given period of time.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
You may think you don't lose any, but the loss occurs, it may just be too imperceptible for you to notice. No combustion engine exists that doesn't burn at least the smallest amount of oil over a given period of time.
Considering it's a 15 year-old engine with 100k miles on it, I can live with that.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

oh my 1/2 qt too much- park that thing!!!!
Owners manual also say if tracking add another qt to compensate for the G slosh effect- I doubt a 1/2 qt will.hurt you- I always put in 7 - no issues-
Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 PM
CalF
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Boss Hogg says this dipstick is always a quart low.

Get notified of new replies

To Dip Stick Question - Where's the "FULL" Mark"

Old 10-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by oh1vette
oh my 1/2 qt too much- park that thing!!!!
Owners manual also say if tracking add another qt to compensate for the G slosh effect- I doubt a 1/2 qt will.hurt you- I always put in 7 - no issues-
If you'd have read on instead of posting this before reading the entire thread, you'd have noticed that I agreed that a half quart would not hurt anything.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To get the most accurate reading= check when engine is cold-oil drips back into the pan for afew hours after hot
Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by bobby777
To get the most accurate reading= check when engine is cold-oil drips back into the pan for afew hours after hot
Wrong. Read your owner's manual.

Quick Reply: Dip Stick Question - Where's the "FULL" Mark"