Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And sometimes you need to use Sandpaper. (CCW Wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:29 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RSbeast

I hate keeping up on mine. Guarantees an extra 30-40 min of futzing every time I wash the car. Gotta get the spots out etc. doesn't matter if they're sealed.

Then being 3 piece; as soon as it rolls it throws water everywhere it got trapped. Don't get me started on the rivets.

Good if you like car shows and hate driving. They've sucked a ton of enjoyment out of my car. Looks good at least.
Originally Posted by Black 02
Blow them out with compresses air after a wash. Leaf blower (electric) would work too. To clean them, use a boars hair brush.

Now you can enjoy your car again
I love my 505As, but I would not want these wheels on my daily driver! Maybe if they were black or hypersilver and not polished.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast

I hate keeping up on mine. Guarantees an extra 30-40 min of futzing every time I wash the car. Gotta get the spots out etc. doesn't matter if they're sealed.

Then being 3 piece; as soon as it rolls it throws water everywhere it got trapped. Don't get me started on the rivets.

Good if you like car shows and hate driving. They've sucked a ton of enjoyment out of my car. Looks good at least.
They don't look good..... they look GREAT !
I can see your argument with the water in the small crevices though.

Toque
Old 10-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Touque, any idea what caused that rash inside the wheel? Listen if it comes down to bribes then I am willing to go 5 guys with fires and a drink. Free peanuts as well. I am all in for a job well done.

Nice work.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Touque, any idea what caused that rash inside the wheel? Listen if it comes down to bribes then I am willing to go 5 guys with fires and a drink. Free peanuts as well. I am all in for a job well done.

Nice work.
Thanks !
I do like 5 Guys....

I think a rock or something got thrown inside the wheel and spun around a few times.
No big deal. Easily fixed as you can see...
Gives me more experience with wet sanding.
I'm not complaining about that.

Toque
Old 10-22-2014, 02:24 PM
ronsrods222362
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD Events Coordinator

Sometimes sand paper is your friend...
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1b003780.jpg

Last edited by ronsrods222362; 10-22-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 10-22-2014, 02:25 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Lol thanks!

I thought about trying compressed air. Need to fix my compessor that exploded the last time I was doing some porting :/

Good call though!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

With our nasty water here in my area of SoCal, I installed one of these and the spotting is essentially non-existant. The deionized water dries leaving minimal, if any, visible residue. A leisurely wipe is usually all it takes to get a beautiful finish.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:58 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Patches
With our nasty water here in my area of SoCal, I installed one of these and the spotting is essentially non-existant. The deionized water dries leaving minimal, if any, visible residue. A leisurely wipe is usually all it takes to get a beautiful finish.

Patches, I love your engineering OCD! Don't think the Gladiator wall channel went unnoticed!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Al, it's not like I can help it . . .

Have you seen my latest project in FI? Think I've exceeded my own previous OCD record on that one.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I've got to join in on this thread. i've used sandpaper on my Classics, too. I've even gone as coarse as medium grade emery cloth to fix a bead edge. Some elbow grease and some Wenol polish and good as new. Toque, your wheels are insane. As much as I like to keep my wheels as clean as possible, I don't have the time or deisre to be that OCD. Your inners look incredible. The last time I had my wheels off, the wheels were too gone on the inners. Since with the Classics the inner barrels aren't as visible as yours, and they don't come polished in the first place, I cleaned them up as good as practical and painted them bright silver. No pictures but they came out very good doing that. As far as washing them, I always fire up my compressor and have to blow out all the bolt holes to stop the drips. Love my CCW's.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:36 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I just put new wheels on my car after adding the rear flairs..
IN this photo on the left is a shot of my 12 year old CCW with original Michelin Pilots sports.. next to it is a brand New CCW with the new Nitto Evo.

12 years old and 80,000 miles on the left.. Brand new on the right

about 8 hours total time a year to keep them looking nice... about an hour each twice a year
Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 AM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '16

I'm seeing road trip to Toques in the future, with burgers at 5 guys and beers and sightseeing at Twin Peaks. Hey Steve,why didn't you get mine looking this good after you waxed the car. L8R ZFLASH
Old 10-23-2014, 01:57 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Those look awesome Mark! Man you got way more patience than me. I got tired of polishing my old aluminum wheels so i just powdercoated them black lol.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Toque and Evil-Twin your polished wheels look awesome and shine like chrome, so here's my question. Why don't you switch to chrome and avoid all of the work? Just curious. Not being critical.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Toque and Evil-Twin your polished wheels look awesome and shine like chrome, so here's my question. Why don't you switch to chrome and avoid all of the work? Just curious. Not being critical.
I'm just not a chrome fan. Its too bright for me.

Toque
Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thats a cool setup !

Have you seen my latest project in FI? Think I've exceeded my own previous OCD record on that one.
.... True !

Originally Posted by striper
I've got to join in on this thread. i've used sandpaper on my Classics, too. I've even gone as coarse as medium grade emery cloth to fix a bead edge. Some elbow grease and some Wenol polish and good as new. Toque, your wheels are insane. As much as I like to keep my wheels as clean as possible, I don't have the time or deisre to be that OCD. Your inners look incredible. The last time I had my wheels off, the wheels were too gone on the inners. Since with the Classics the inner barrels aren't as visible as yours, and they don't come polished in the first place, I cleaned them up as good as practical and painted them bright silver. No pictures but they came out very good doing that. As far as washing them, I always fire up my compressor and have to blow out all the bolt holes to stop the drips. Love my CCW's.
Thanks Striper !

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I just put new wheels on my car after adding the rear flairs..
IN this photo on the left is a shot of my 12 year old CCW with original Michelin Pilots sports.. next to it is a brand New CCW with the new Nitto Evo.

12 years old and 80,000 miles on the left.. Brand new on the right

about 8 hours total time a year to keep them looking nice... about an hour each twice a year
Hopefully mine look as good as yours in 12 years !
Mine are 6.5 yrs old right now.

Originally Posted by ZFLASH
I'm seeing road trip to Toques in the future, with burgers at 5 guys and beers and sightseeing at Twin Peaks. Hey Steve,why didn't you get mine looking this good after you waxed the car. L8R ZFLASH
Bring it on !
You will like Bone Daddy's , or Red Neck Heaven better.

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Those look awesome Mark! Man you got way more patience than me. I got tired of polishing my old aluminum wheels so i just powdercoated them black lol.
Thanks Natie !
I enjoy giving them a good polish twice a year.
Its amazing how it brightens them up.

Toque
Old 10-23-2014, 08:39 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Another benefit of maintaining the polished aluminum finish is that if you do suffer a curb bite or rim rash, you can wet sand repair it yourself. If chromed, it's an expensive repair.

Plus, I like the look of well-maintained polished CCWs. Just like ET, Toque, and Patches, I pull mine off twice a year for a good cleaning and polish. I'm set to do mine in the next few weeks as I'm pulling my wheels to install my new Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors, braided brake lines and new pads.

Now that the summer Florida humidity has blown out, I'm looking forward to some quality Vette time in the garage.

Get notified of new replies

To And sometimes you need to use Sandpaper. (CCW Wheels)

Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Another benefit of maintaining the polished aluminum finish is that if you do suffer a curb bite or rim rash, you can wet sand repair it yourself. If chromed, it's an expensive repair.
Exactly !

Toque
Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I heard somewhere that if you get some minor curb rash on a machine faced wheel, you can indeed sand down that area with progressively finer grit then polish that part of the wheel...
Old 10-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Let me see if I can give you the reason... I had chrome wheels on many cars over the years. you can buy chrome wheels at Pep Boys or Walmart.. Chrome wheels can be very expensive because of the wheel design but chrome is found on very cheap wheels. too.. after many years of high end chrome wheels, they are still chrome.. the Look of a forged Billet wheel
can not be duplicated in chrome.. an analogy might be rhinestones next to diamonds. The billet wheel just looks so much nicer, richer, and more professional ( if you could understand that ) next to a chrome wheel.. of course your thinking is very logical... but all of us who have CCWs and take care of them, know the difference... most people that look at my wheels and are not car people think they are chrome...But chrome also never looks as good as it did yesterday.. chrome wheels will never last as long as a Billet wheel for many reasons.. stones, and sand and road debris all take a toll on chrome.. once chrome is nicked. it starts to deteriorate from underneath. salt, road rash can not be recovered unless you redo the whole wheel might as well buy a New wheel.. obviously our wheels can be brought back to almost brand new condition with a little work.. I sold my 12 year old wheels , which I was going to keep...( didn't want people to beat me down or negotiate, I didn't want the issue that if something went wrong, there will be more grief. I was already very sick...anyway I sold my 12 year old wheels, 4/32 tires and 6 year old sensors for 2200 dollars...And sold them to the first guy on here that saw that I was getting new wheels.. I never put them up for sale, or mentioned I wanted to sell them and was talked into selling them.. they Guy who bought them was the kind of guy I would want to have my wheels.. Just a Nice guy.. brought me Nut bread when he drove up from Virginia... Anyway, after having billet wheels, I could never go back chrome wheels...There is nothing wrong with chrome, but for me I've had enough sets of chrome wheels.. Its more of a personal thing... because most people think these wheels are chrome and cost about 200 dollars each.. they just don't know..people ask the prices of things and some get offended when you tell them.. Most of us who have these wheel are selective when we drive.. I tell people all the time that if you have a daily driver.. these are not the wheels for you.. I probably gave TMI in this response.. sorry. One other thing... after 12 years and 2200 dollars in my pocket, I could have bought anything.. but I just love the look of CCW 505A. so I bought a second set. IM sure these wheels and tires will take me to the promise land..
Bill aka ET

Quick Reply: And sometimes you need to use Sandpaper. (CCW Wheels)