Sponsored by:

C5z for 9 second fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:53 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5z for 9 second fbody?

Ok guys I know I might catch some heat for this, but just wanted to post this here and see if I could get some opinions. I have the opportunity to do a straight trade with my 01 c5z for a fully built 9 second 01 camaro. It's a z28 with 33k original miles. Gentleman has over 25k in receipts and all documents for the build. Should I do it? I know the decision is mine. Just figured id listen to some other people's input
Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Nah.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:58 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

bad idea
Old 10-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I wouldn't.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:08 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm in the unique position of having firsthand knowledge of that said Z28.

I'm assuming its the red turbo car in NE Ohio.

The $ tied up in the car is ridiculous. It's all top shelf and done by Speed Inc. Very clean car and ultra sleeper. The owner also has a blown h/c/i C6z and that Camaro will kill it.

It was a one owner car prior to his purchase and that $25k is on ONE freaking invoice. Like 'here's my new camaro and my 2nd mortage' have fun!

Honeslty, if you havent gotten to far into your mods and want to side step into a car that you absolutely not replicate for mods/mileage/etc. it's a great move. I've been back and forth offing my c5 to grab it. The car is just that cool; and I don't even like Camaros. If it was a WS6 you wouldn't have to ask this question because I'd already own it.

If you keep the miles off of it; it will retain a lot of value. Not knowing what your vette has; once they hit @ 70k they tend to fall off pretty hard.

Just my $.02
Old 10-22-2014, 01:10 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSbeast
I'm in the unique position of having firsthand knowledge of that said Z28.

I'm assuming its the red turbo car in NE Ohio.

The $ tied up in the car is ridiculous. It's all top shelf and done by Speed Inc. Very clean car and ultra sleeper. The owner also has a blown h/c/i C6z and that Camaro will kill it.

It was a one owner car prior to his purchase and that $25k is on ONE freaking invoice. Like 'here's my new camaro and my 2nd mortage' have fun!

Honeslty, if you havent gotten to far into your mods and want to side step into a car that you absolutely not replicate for mods/mileage/etc. it's a great move. I've been back and forth offing my c5 to grab it. The car is just that cool; and I don't even like Camaros. If it was a WS6 you wouldn't have to ask this question because I'd already own it.

If you keep the miles off of it; it will retain a lot of value. Not knowing what your vette has; once they hit @ 70k they tend to fall off pretty hard.

Just my $.02
Yes sir that's the one! And nothing major done to my car. It's full exhaust/boltons with 61k miles. I hate to see it go but the car seems legit and is built right. The owner seems like a great guy as well
Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Personally I would say no, but it's all about what you want and what you would truly be happy with. Have you driven it yet? I imagine the car wouldn't handle nearly as "tight" as your z does. Again, it's all personal preference though. Dollar for dollar though, F-bodys aren't worth much these days. Z's hold their value fairly well
Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

And i also agree on the WS6 part! :thumbsup:
Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

If you keep the miles off of it; it will retain a lot of value.
No, it won't. Aftermarket mods do not add much, if any, value to a car.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
No, it won't. Aftermarket mods do not add much, if any, value to a car.
Well, I will have to politely disagree after building/selling modded cars for years.

The only place it can be wary IS the corvette crowd where it seems old guys are scared of everything but grated tail lamp covers and what wax got used.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:20 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

I'm going to look/drive the car tomorrow evening. I know it won't handle nearly as well as the vette but there aren't many twisty roads here in Illinois to push it to its limit in the curves unfortunately. .
Old 10-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Well, I will have to politely disagree after building/selling modded cars for years.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. My experience has shown differently.

The only place it can be wary IS the corvette crowd where it seems old guys are scared of everything but grated tail lamp covers and what wax got used.
No, it's pretty much the entire hot rod buyer crowd with the exception of the 70's muscle cars and older. Most buyers are looking for a clean car that has not potentially been beat on by a younger driver who had no clue how to drive the car to begin with. This provides a solid platform to build a car, which is more desirable than something someone else built. Young buyers might go in for it, but experience has shown that most buyers don't. Again, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:25 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slow01z06
Yes sir that's the one! And nothing major done to my car. It's full exhaust/boltons with 61k miles. I hate to see it go but the car seems legit and is built right. The owner seems like a great guy as well
He's probably the most straightforward guy I know. Not unfamiliar with high end builds or cars and will NOT put up with junk.

Aside from sounding like a cheerleader here though; if you want a badass Fbody this is a car that hasn't been hacked and beat to death by 5 different inbreds on Craigslist. Even the miles on the build are very low, but not like 'oh God it's done - hurry up and move it before I get 500 miles on it' low.

With like a sunoco hood and a drag setup it'd look menacing and just dominate on stuff. Right now it's very understated.

Make your own choices though

I'm not going to bitch if I get to ride in it more
Old 10-22-2014, 01:28 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

He's probably the most straightforward guy I know. Not unfamiliar with high end builds or cars and will NOT put up with junk.

Aside from sounding like a cheerleader here though; if you want a badass Fbody this is a car that hasn't been hacked and beat to death by 5 different inbreds on Craigslist. Even the miles on the build are very low, but not like 'oh God it's done - hurry up and move it before I get 500 miles on it' low.

With like a sunoco hood and a drag setup it'd look menacing and just dominate on stuff. Right now it's very understated.

Make your own choices though

I'm not going to bitch if I get to ride in it more
I appreciate the honest insight and not the vette bias opinions
Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Hell no not even close.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

You asked for opinions on a Corvette forum and expected not to have some bias in the responses?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:33 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

We'll have to agree to disagree then. My experience has shown differently.

No, it's pretty much the entire hot rod buyer crowd with the exception of the 70's muscle cars and older. Most buyers are looking for a clean car that has not potentially been beat on by a younger driver who had no clue how to drive the car to begin with. This provides a solid platform to build a car, which is more desirable than something someone else built. Young buyers might go in for it, but experience has shown that most buyers don't. Again, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Yeah, and the same junk factory parts still break. It costs 2-3x more to build from scratch than to buy one done right.

I've done both. Perhaps these 'younger buyers' have already built a car or two. Just because this place is full of old men and middle age crisis 'my first racecar' people doesn't mean it reflects on everyone. Stock = good for collectors. It all depends on the buyer.

Now, let me agree with you that you will lose your *** modding a car; but it will retain some value. If you sunk 30k into your C5 I'll bet my life you won't be on here asking some level of premium upon a sale.

Get notified of new replies

To C5z for 9 second fbody?

Old 10-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

No bias here. I used to own a fourth gen and the interior alone would turn me away no matter how fast it is in a straight line.

Not to mention any "9 second car" is going to require constant attention and maintenance to keep it running correctly.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:35 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

You asked for opinions on a Corvette forum and expected not to have some bias in the responses?
I'm as big a vette fan as anyone in here, and pretty much knew the response I'd get before asking the question..
Old 10-22-2014, 01:47 PM
slow01z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black 02
No bias here. I used to own a fourth gen and the interior alone would turn me away no matter how fast it is in a straight line.

Not to mention any "9 second car" is going to require constant attention and maintenance to keep it running correctly.
I will agree about the interior

Quick Reply: C5z for 9 second fbody?