Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long did the battery last in your OEM Fob?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Brit dex
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Default How long did the battery last in your OEM Fob?

and have you got a spare? can you have more then one?

as we all know the GM fobs aren't the best, I got a new one from Stu's remotes, really helpful guy, and worked great.. until today..ordered new batteries, hoping thats what it is, although I'm not a heavy user of the car... so hoping its not something more terminal..

how often have you changed your battery?

I was thinking about having a spare, but not sure if you can pair more than one with your car?

I have one of theose window valets, so need mine working as it makes getting in and out of the car in the garage much much easier!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

The fob looks exactly like the one for my Buick. When I broke one for that car, I found replacements on-line -- EBay, if I recall correctly. I don't recall how I programmed the new fob, but it was probably like this:

Yes, you can have two that work.

Love that window valet.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by Koufax
The fob looks exactly like the one for my Buick. When I broke one for that car, I found replacements on-line -- EBay, if I recall correctly. I don't recall how I programmed the new fob, but it was probably like this:

How To Program A GM Remote, GM Remote Initialization Procedure - YouTube

Yes, you can have two that work.

Love that window valet.
thanks, think I will get one from Stu as he was great, if you can have more then one, worth having... I'm hoping current issue is just a battery replacement.... I htink the current one is just over a year in use, and not every day, thought that wasn't long for a battery... but maybe I'm wrong!

I agree, the window valet is one of the best items I've bought!
getting in and out in a tight garage is a breeze!!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

As far as I know, my Fob still has the original battery in it and that would be nearly 12 years. I know I have not changed it and I've owned the car for 5+ years.

And yes, I have a second Fob for the car.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

The clip that holds the battery in place and doubles as the negative contact has a rather flimsy solder joint to the circuit board, and depends somewhat on the case holding everything in alignment. I've seen at least two fobs where the joint had failed and made the fob intermittent. If your battery only lasted a year, it may not be the battery's fault: 5-6 year lifespan is pretty normal on a daily driver, longer for the weekend/summer crowd.
(That's for the 2001+ system...I've never seen one of the older ones.)
Old 10-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Re the multiple fob question, the system can be programmed to recognize up to three fobs. I'm pretty sure the cars all originally came with two, that's how it works with every other GM car I've ever owned.
I'm a firm believer in having three keys: one for daily use, a spare in the kitchen drawer, and one without a fob to give to valets/mechanics/whoever so I don't have to try to pry the car key off the chain if I have to leave the car somewhere.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:39 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

I've got a 2000 GM vehicle (not the Vette) that still has the original batteries in both key fobs (and both still function as they should). Close to 15 years now, so yes, the batteries can last a loooooong time.

Now I've just jinxed myself. They'll both probably quit on me any day now.

Edit: I should add that the two key fobs for my 2004 Vette also still have their original batteries in them. That's 10.5 years and still going strong.

Last edited by thisMSGgood4me; 10-23-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Brit dex
Pro

thanks Guys
thats doesn't sound good! if some of yours are lasting 6 yrs +
it may be its broken..
Old 10-23-2014, 07:40 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Original owner with two original fobs, both with original batteries. Weekend driver however.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Z06, delivered Aug 2000, 100,000 miles, 2 FOBS, original batteries.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Then this may be the video you want to watch:

Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 AM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had to replace my battery yet, but I know one thing... these fobs are the most touchy fobs I have ever dealt with in my life!!!!!

I have the problem of somehow hitting the trunk button or alarm button as I'm putting my keys in my pocket it seems at least 2 to 3 times a month. The alarm when it goes off seems to be very tough to turn off after several presses on the fob. By the time I get it turned off and look up everybody and their brother is staring at me. Drives me damn crazy.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:21 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Original owner of a 2001. Both key fobs still on original batteries, but car isn't a daily driver and never has been.

Phil
Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by phil hunter
Original owner of a 2001. Both key fobs still on original batteries, but car isn't a daily driver and never has been.

Phil
mine isnt either Phil, dry weekends only!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:17 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit dex
and have you got a spare? can you have more then one?

as we all know the GM fobs aren't the best, I got a new one from Stu's remotes, really helpful guy, and worked great.. until today..ordered new batteries, hoping thats what it is, although I'm not a heavy user of the car... so hoping its not something more terminal..

how often have you changed your battery?

I was thinking about having a spare, but not sure if you can pair more than one with your car?

I have one of theose window valets, so need mine working as it makes getting in and out of the car in the garage much much easier!
It would be helpful if you posted the year of your car in the question. There are two different C5 fobs, one for 01-04 and one for 00 and older. The older fobs are known to be intermittent and can sometimes be fixed with soldering the connections. (go to Google and type in "legendary problem solved, corvette forum") You'll see the thread with how-to. The newer fobs (as well as the older ones) can just get out of sync with the rolling code. All you have to do to resync the fob to the car is hold down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until the horn honks. Of course, this only works with fobs that are previously programmed through the DIC to your car. Before you buy batteries or fobs, try holding down the two buttons at the same time and see if you get a honk. If this doesn't work, you can try the batteries and resoldering. You can program up to three fobs for a car, but all programming must be done at the same time. If you program a new fob, the old one will be erased, so get all the fobs together and do them at the same sitting so they will all work. Doesn't matter what order you program them in, the first one will become fob 1 for the memory settings and the second one fob 2, etc.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
It would be helpful if you posted the year of your car in the question. There are two different C5 fobs, one for 01-04 and one for 00 and older. The older fobs are known to be intermittent and can sometimes be fixed with soldering the connections. (go to Google and type in "legendary problem solved, corvette forum") You'll see the thread with how-to. The newer fobs (as well as the older ones) can just get out of sync with the rolling code. All you have to do to resync the fob to the car is hold down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until the horn honks. Of course, this only works with fobs that are previously programmed through the DIC to your car. Before you buy batteries or fobs, try holding down the two buttons at the same time and see if you get a honk. If this doesn't work, you can try the batteries and resoldering. You can program up to three fobs for a car, but all programming must be done at the same time. If you program a new fob, the old one will be erased, so get all the fobs together and do them at the same sitting so they will all work. Doesn't matter what order you program them in, the first one will become fob 1 for the memory settings and the second one fob 2, etc.
Hi THere, its a 99 vert I've got...
ah OK is holding down the two buttons a check that at least the fob has life in it and maybe needs resetting?
that would at least rule out one thing.. I will try tomorrow
Old 10-24-2014, 06:23 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit dex
Hi THere, its a 99 vert I've got...
ah OK is holding down the two buttons a check that at least the fob has life in it and maybe needs resetting?
that would at least rule out one thing.. I will try tomorrow
No! Reread my post above. I explained how it syncs the rolling code, it's not a test. IF the fob and car are out of sync, this will re-sync them. It is not a test OR a reprogram.

Get notified of new replies

To How long did the battery last in your OEM Fob?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Brit dex
Pro

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
No! Reread my post above. I explained how it syncs the rolling code, it's not a test. IF the fob and car are out of sync, this will re-sync them. It is not a test OR a reprogram.
OK got you... thanks

Actually bit of a result.. I have found my old fob as well in my oddments box.. one I thought was bust before getting my new one last year... never come across any of these threads before, so I think I will also try soldering up this one.. and might end up fingers crossed having two working ones...

Last edited by Brit dex; 10-24-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:33 AM
Brit dex
Pro

OK, just for info for any of you guys that are interested..

found a link to a guy on you tube who bought a fob on Ebay for £8, $12 he said and it works... worth a look? cheaper than a soldering iron!

links below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Keyless-...-/121329641861
Old 10-25-2014, 05:40 AM
Brit dex
Pro

Little update...
some guys saying it hasn't worked for them, some say it does!
but for $12 with shipping and battery maybe worth a punt?

Quick Reply: How long did the battery last in your OEM Fob?