Sponsored by:

Questions about the tires on my C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 PM
polymer1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about the tires on my C5

my 2004 has the original tires . the car only has 11k miles on it. It has been garage kept with a cover on it for most of it's life. there are not any visible cracks on them but I am concerned due to their age

Should I be concerned???
Old 10-23-2014, 10:57 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

I would think that they would need to be replaced...
Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same question after I purchased my 2004 C5 in June. It only had about 6100 miles on it & still had the OE Goodyear runflats that looked perfect. I asked everyone I could think of: tire dealers, friends with vettes, strangers with vettes, guys on here... and rec'd mixed opinions. Many said not to trust tires over 5 years old, that even though they are runflats they could still come apart & do major body damage, while just as many others said as long as there are no visible cracks to keep driving them. To err on the side of safety, plus to get rid of the rough riding, very noisy runflats I decided to go ahead & replace them. The decision was also made easier after hearing many guys on here rave about the Hankook evo v12 tires which they all claimed performed well & were relatively inexpensive. I ordered four from tirerack, had them installed & have never regretted the decision. My vette handles & rides so much better, and best of all I can actually hear the engine now instead of just tire noise. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,279 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If it were my car, I would go ahead and replace the tires. 10 years is a long time for a set of tires.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:32 PM
polymer1
Advanced

Originally Posted by BamaJ
I had the same question after I purchased my 2004 C5 in June. It only had about 6100 miles on it & still had the OE Goodyear runflats that looked perfect. I asked everyone I could think of: tire dealers, friends with vettes, strangers with vettes, guys on here... and rec'd mixed opinions. Many said not to trust tires over 5 years old, that even though they are runflats they could still come apart & do major body damage, while just as many others said as long as there are no visible cracks to keep driving them. To err on the side of safety, plus to get rid of the rough riding, very noisy runflats I decided to go ahead & replace them. The decision was also made easier after hearing many guys on here rave about the Hankook evo v12 tires which they all claimed performed well & were relatively inexpensive. I ordered four from tirerack, had them installed & have never regretted the decision. My vette handles & rides so much better, and best of all I can actually hear the engine now instead of just tire noise. Good luck with your decision.
what is the cost of the Hankook tires? are they also run flat tires?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

My 10 year old runflats are being replace by Hankooks on Monday. They still have plenty of tread, but the are loud and feel like rocks. I hope for some improvement next week.

I recall reading a detailed debate on this forum on the subject of whether age alone should cause you to replace your tires and I came away convinced that a 10 year old tire with tread and no cracks is perfectly safe to drive. So if they don't bother you, keep em. Mine bother me.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:48 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by polymer1
what is the cost of the Hankook tires? are they also run flat tires?
If I recall correctly I believe I paid around $670, which included shipping. Plus there was a $80 mfg rebate.

go here & search for Hankook:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ype=bestseller

No, they are not run-flats. Like many vette owners I keep a AAA DC air pump ($12.99 on Amazon) & a can of fix-a-flat in the car, plus a membership to AAA.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:21 PM
polymer1
Advanced

Originally Posted by BamaJ
If I recall correctly I believe I paid around $670, which included shipping. Plus there was a $80 mfg rebate.

go here & search for Hankook:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ype=bestseller

No, they are not run-flats. Like many vette owners I keep a AAA DC air pump ($12.99 on Amazon) & a can of fix-a-flat in the car, plus a membership to AAA.

are all run flat tires noisy and rough riding cause Id like to keep run flat tires on the car. is there a better brand than the OE tires that you would suggest
Old 10-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

It is my understanding that new run-flats will be quieter and smoother -- for awhile. Then they will gradually harden up and get noisier.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufax
I recall reading a detailed debate on this forum on the subject of whether age alone should cause you to replace your tires and I came away convinced that a 10 year old tire with tread and no cracks is perfectly safe to drive. So if they don't bother you, keep em. Mine bother me.
I'd have to disagree with this. When I bought my 2000 three years ago it had the original run flats on it, which still had plenty of tread on them and had no visible cracks.

That didn't stop them from literally shifting the car sideways whenever I hit a decent sized bump in the road. Going around freeway on- and off-ramps and hitting bumps nearly put me into the wall several times, and this was going 20-25 mph.

If the tires are 10 years-old or older, replace them, as they are unsafe. This is especially true with run flats that are already hard tires to begin with.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:55 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

You already know the answer to your own question.

If you take your child or grandchild, or any loved one, for a ride, do you want them on 10 year old tires?

Don
Old 10-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

are all run flat tires noisy and rough riding cause Id like to keep run flat tires on the car. is there a better brand than the OE tires that you would suggest
The Michelin PS II run flats are probably the quietest you'll find, but they are also one of the most expensive.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:01 PM
polymer1
Advanced

That was a good answer. what brand of tire would you recommend
Old 10-24-2014, 03:06 PM
polymer1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koufax
It is my understanding that new run-flats will be quieter and smoother -- for awhile. Then they will gradually harden up and get noisier.
Seems very confusing to find a good replacement tire for the OE Good Year tires.
Would like to have run flats but want them to be quieter than the OE tires
Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

That was a good answer. what brand of tire would you recommend
If you want run flats, the Michelins are the best to get.

I run non-run flat tires, Nitto 555's, and just keep an air pump in the car, plus I have towing through my insurance company. I've had several flats that a couple of minutes running the air pump re-inflated for me and got me to the tire store for repair.

Next time I buy tires I'll be looking at Michelin non-run flats depending on what size wheel I'll be running.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about the tires on my C5

Quick Reply: Questions about the tires on my C5