Sponsored by:

Old Targa Top converted to Carbon Vinyl Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Old Targa Top converted to Carbon Vinyl Wrap

I purchased a new Targa top and didn't know what to do with the old top. I saw the new trend to Carbon Vinyl Wrap vehicles and or parts of vehicles that I tried my hands. It was fun, check out the results.:
Old Top, (looked ok from outside, but it had micro cracks you could see from the inside.

New top after Carbon Vinyl Wrapping:

Finished and after all the bubbles removed:

Note, doing this yourself is pretty hard with the Vinyl Wrap being so sticky and only one set of hands. Get some help when doing this project. Also get the correct tools. I ordered the kit in Ebay and I used a heat gun to heat and stretch the vinyl. I had to use the WET approach, water, alcohol & dish soap in a spray bottle. The drawback was getting all the water and bubbles out, that took a hot day in the sun and a pin to pop them as they exposed themselves. Have fun with this project, the top looks really cool in sunlight at certain angles.. I now have a solid top for summers and I'm saving my new Targa top from exposure to the sun 24 hours when I'm out. Oh, I also installed carpet on the inside for that STOCK look, another project to tackle... Use a commercial glue... Enjoy.

Last edited by Jesse Asis; 10-24-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM
aasports
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the exact same thing to an extra glass top that I had. Turned out good. And you are right...it was a pain in the butt.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:00 PM
maccave
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that really looks good!
I need to replace my top and I've been debating whether or not to trade in my old top or keep it. After seeing yours, I may just keep the old one and try something like this.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I took the easy way out - I had a local sign shop put the CF vinyl wrap on a second top I had. Turned out good IMO.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Always wanted a hard top, now I got one and in Carbon Vinyl Wrap. Note, stick to the 3D Carbon and not the 4D, I've seen that one on other vehicles at car shows and it just doesn't look like Carbon. The targa top is pretty much flat with just a little curve at the end, but it still produces lots of wrinkles, another set of hands and a heat gun works wonders. You guys that had it done, post pictures, I'd love to see how yours turned out.

Get notified of new replies

To Old Targa Top converted to Carbon Vinyl Wrap

Quick Reply: Old Targa Top converted to Carbon Vinyl Wrap