Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator expansion tank , hairline crack....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Outlawtorn
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Radiator expansion tank , hairline crack....

where the hose nipple joins the tank. Car doesnt overheat and the water level is fine.. Noticed a fine bead of coolant around the lip of the tank.

Is it ok to drive? I have a new tank on the way to replace it but my first thought is just to park the car up till I do replace the tank. Being in New Zealand I cant just whip down to the store and buy one. (Thanks Ecklers)

If I put a lil pressure on the hose nipple I can see the crack...otherwise you'd never notice.

Thanks for any comments
Old 10-25-2014, 05:20 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes. Just park it until you get the new tank. Mine cracked in the same place. I tried repairing it with JBWeld and re-positioning the brass nipple insert so I could drive it until my new one arrived. It was a masterful repair. It finished breaking off about 10 miles from home.

Nothing sticks to that plastic and the heat and pressure make short work of any repairs. Your car will feel like new when the tank arrives and you get to drive it again. Take this time to update the cooling system with new hoses, thermostat, belts and clean the radiator. You'll be back on the road in no time.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Outlawtorn
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
Yes. Just park it until you get the new tank. Mine cracked in the same place. I tried repairing it with JBWeld and re-positioning the brass nipple insert so I could drive it until my new one arrived. It was a masterful repair. It finished breaking off about 10 miles from home.

Nothing sticks to that plastic and the heat and pressure make short work of any repairs. Your car will feel like new when the tank arrives and you get to drive it again. Take this time to update the cooling system with new hoses, thermostat, belts and clean the radiator. You'll be back on the road in no time.

Good advice.... Thanks
Old 10-25-2014, 07:40 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

weird... my broke same spot. I tried every kind of epoxy i could fine, none worked.
I just replaced with a canton tank.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:47 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

...and if you like engine bling, now would be a good time to paint the (new) tank when it arrives.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:21 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing sticks to that plastic and the heat and pressure make short work of any repairs.
Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
weird... my broke same spot. I tried every kind of epoxy i could fine, none worked.

You can't fix those things... maybe melting the plastic with a torch or something but that's about it
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Barndog Buddha
Instructor

Location: Gurnee IL. so close to Wisc. I can smell it when they cut the cheese
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That plastic cannot be repaired. I would park it and not take the chance. It could let go and leave you stranded.
Now if you could spend a couple days with your avitar that part will be there before you know it.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Barndog Buddha
That plastic cannot be repaired. I would park it and not take the chance. It could let go and leave you stranded.
No use driving the car and possibly having the coolant go all over the place.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:28 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW I drove around with a hairline crack in the coolant expansion tank on one of my old cars for something like 3 months before I got around to replacing it with no issues. You might be fine.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:37 AM
Outlawtorn
Drifting

Thanks for your replies.... I decided to park it up and play with my 400hp 335...Different beast to the C5 but fun none the less
Old 10-26-2014, 04:40 AM
Outlawtorn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Barndog Buddha
Now if you could spend a couple days with your avitar that part will be there before you know it.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove around for a while with a crack in mine before i go around to replacing it. I also broke off one of the nipples on the radiator and repaired it with plastic weld epoxy which lasted a few months. I did that just so I could get the car tuned and dynoed two days later.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:52 AM
SCvette1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just replaced mine on 99 vert this past week for same problem. Couldn't be repaired. After noticing this, I had my mechanic perform a pressure test on the coolant system and found another small crack leaking coolant at the top of the radiator on the driver side ( where the main hose comes in). It wasn't big and was probably evaporating as it was slowly leaking out ( no drops in garage). It also could not be repaired and I had to replace the radiator. Just a thought that you might want to check that as well. If like mine, I had no idea but because of the tank leak it was found. May have saved a bad problem from happening later.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
FWIW I drove around with a hairline crack in the coolant expansion tank on one of my old cars for something like 3 months before I got around to replacing it with no issues. You might be fine.
The expansion tank on most other cars is not pressurized. With the one on the Corvette, it's more like having a crack in the radiator.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:44 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just replaced the tank on my wife's '03. She drove it for months before the change.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator expansion tank , hairline crack....

Quick Reply: Radiator expansion tank , hairline crack....