Sponsored by:

Crashed Corvette C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Farakz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
that is a major wreck. I have rebuilt several cars and I would not touch that one.
But if it is the only way you can get a corvette.

If you can save more money over the next 6 months and buy a complete car you will be better off.
Thanks for feedback. Very happy to see that so many feedback and help over here)) hope one day i would be the owner of the corvette))
Old 10-27-2014, 02:22 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

shipping might not be that bad if he had one place get them all and ship them via a cargo ship.
It is sometimes possible to share a shipping container or something.

Not my specialty.

its all about how rare the C5 is over there. If it was a 65 Shelby no one would think twice about fixing it.

if he could fix it for $10k it would be a great deal.
He can buy a wrecked car over here for $5k and ship the whole car.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Navybluevette
Labor cost maybe cheap but I'll bet to get replacement parts will be super high. I would bet that the control modules are full of sand and probably trash. Cost to repair would probably be way more that the car is worth.
Would be good for me if i find front halfcut. Friend of mine said that it is possible to find front half cuts in emirates for abt 5k. But im not sure abt it
Old 10-27-2014, 02:28 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

start emailing salvage yards or email the the company I mentioned earlier.
It is possible to buy half a car here. I think the front half would be well under $5k
You can buy a C5 here for $12k.

The money is in the engine and tranny. Without those the car would not be to expensive.
You just need someone to find it for you.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Farakz
Intermediate

shipping might not be that bad if he had one place get them all and ship them via a cargo ship.
It is sometimes possible to share a shipping container or something.

Not my specialty.

its all about how rare the C5 is over there. If it was a 65 Shelby no one would think twice about fixing it.

if he could fix it for $10k it would be a great deal.
He can buy a wrecked car over here for $5k and ship the whole car.
I was also thinking to find front half cut. Shouldnt be more than 5k. Am i right? It is very rare. You have to be enthusiast and fan of it to buy. I understand that if i buy i would keep the car for years. Because this car is hard to resell actually. So why im not buying ready to drive car becaus i will loose a lot if i want to resell it. And it might take years for me to sell it. I was considering to buy this one for 11k plus 6-7k for repair and total 17k good deal
Old 10-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Farakz
Intermediate

start emailing salvage yards or email the the company I mentioned earlier.
It is possible to buy half a car here. I think the front half would be well under $5k
You can buy a C5 here for $12k.

The money is in the engine and tranny. Without those the car would not be to expensive.
You just need someone to find it for you.
I will try to search in emirates first. Because they also have a lot of us cars imported. It is easier and cheaper to ship to my country because it is closer and a lot of shipping companies from there ship cars to my country. If i dont find anything there i have to look in US. I need to show this car to professional and see the frame alignment. If it is good then i will search for half cuts. I guess 2001 auto corvette has no major common issues, right? I have read the forum and it says nothing serious to consider about it. Because it is safe from steering lock problem.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:41 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

It might be possible to find a body shop with a GM parts program on a computer disk, one brand is Icar, it lists all the parts in any given area, without having to switch between engine and trim , or belts and suspension. It lists all the stuff, one screw, trim piece, bolt, fender, stripe, the entire ingredients needed in any section. Clips, screws hoses, spacers all the stuff is listed in one place, so you can just click on the area and get the details of assembly, with part numbers. THe guy with the program can also give advice, I would plan on replacing the front and probably the drivetrain is messed up.

I can certainly see a large amount of passion is needed to consider this task, plus time and money to complete the goal. Best wishes in any event.

I know a lot is possible. I used to pass a small dirt lot in Bangladesh, where a mechanic and his young helper took a truck completely down to two I beams sitting across two 55gallon oil drums, the kid working a small forge to work metal parts, the adult doing the assembly for the rest. I guess the I beams were the new truck frame, and they got the job done. I don't know how safe are the results, I am no judge of hand made truck parts done blacksmith style, but I would expect they made budget on the repair.

If you build it , make it safe. I wouldn't , I don't care enough about what I drive to invest the time.

In America there is an obscure saying about buying a pig in a poke, a poke is a bag. People would expect they were buying a pig, and get a cat , leading to another saying, letting the cat out of the bag, which means revealing the secret. In this case you are only buying a mystery, hopefully without many secrets.

once you get it done, it's a beautiful car , with a great thirst for gas.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:43 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

No matter how you look at it, it will likely cost you more than $6k to repair.

Finding the complete front 1/2 would be your best bet. That would also let you see how it all goes together.

IF the frame is straight or can be pulled straight then sectioning the dented parts with pieces cut from a good frame is possible. You just need to find someone who can carefully cut and fit and is a good welder.

The 2001 is a better year because you get away from the EBTCM & SWPS that are no longer available for the earlier cars.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 10-27-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Don't know the laws in your area, but could you import an entire older car in good shape as "parts only" to rebuild this car?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by strand rider
It might be possible to find a body shop with a GM parts program on a computer disk, one brand is Icar, it lists all the parts in any given area, without having to switch between engine and trim , or belts and suspension. It lists all the stuff, one screw, trim piece, bolt, fender, stripe, the entire ingredients needed in any section. Clips, screws hoses, spacers all the stuff is listed in one place, so you can just click on the area and get the details of assembly, with part numbers. THe guy with the program can also give advice, I would plan on replacing the front and probably the drivetrain is messed up.

I can certainly see a large amount of passion is needed to consider this task, plus time and money to complete the goal. Best wishes in any event.

I know a lot is possible. I used to pass a small dirt lot in Bangladesh, where a mechanic and his young helper took a truck completely down to two I beams sitting across two 55gallon oil drums, the kid working a small forge to work metal parts, the adult doing the assembly for the rest. I guess the I beams were the new truck frame, and they got the job done. I don't know how safe are the results, I am no judge of hand made truck parts done blacksmith style, but I would expect they made budget on the repair.

If you build it , make it safe. I wouldn't , I don't care enough about what I drive to invest the time.

In America there is an obscure saying about buying a pig in a poke, a poke is a bag. People would expect they were buying a pig, and get a cat , leading to another saying, letting the cat out of the bag, which means revealing the secret. In this case you are only buying a mystery, hopefully without many secrets.

once you get it done, it's a beautiful car , with a great thirst for gas.

True true)) everything actually is possible. The time is not an issue for me. The budget this what i think about. If it costs me more than 10k i wouldnt even think to work on it.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:59 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

your gonna be around 10k.
Just the hood will be $1,000.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
No matter how you look at it, it will likely cost you more than $6k to repair.

Finding the complete front 1/2 would be your best bet. That would also let you see how it all goes together.

IF the frame is straight or can be pulled straight then sectioning the dented parts with pieces cut from a good frame is possible. You just need to find someone who can carefully cut and fit and is a good welder.

The 2001 is a better year because you get away from the EBTCM & SWPS that are no longer available for the earlier cars.
The half cut i think is the best solution. But in my point if the frame is damaged then it is not worth to repair it. Because cutting and welding the frame is huge risk because the safety is the most important, because this car has a power.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Black 02
Don't know the laws in your area, but could you import an entire older car in good shape as "parts only" to rebuild this car?
Yes it can be imported as a parts. But the car need to be divided into parts in order to import. Need to dismantle everything
Old 10-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Farakz
Intermediate

I think now i have a clear picture how much effort it will cost me. Thank you for everyone for sharing. Really nice to see warm replies from u guys. Happy to see that there are so many kind people.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Farakz
Yes it can be imported as a parts. But the car need to be divided into parts in order to import. Need to dismantle everything
That might be your best bet. Have someone in the US dismantle one and ship it to you in parts.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

You might want to find a complete frame assembly and use your engine, interior and good body panels. The complete (undamaged) frame assemblies are easy to find over here.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:05 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Is that hood made of steel?
Or did someone throw and old hood on the protect the engine?

Get notified of new replies

To Crashed Corvette C5

Old 10-27-2014, 05:18 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Farakz
The car originally brought from Dubai in 2007. The mileage is 50K km. which is very low. After the accident the car was left for almost two three years that is why the paint looks so bad. The engine after accident is not damaged. The only suspension and bodywork. The price for it 13k $ which is very cheap in my point. But im not sure the condition of the engine and gearbox because the car was left on the open surface for quite long period of time. by budget to fix the car with the new paint and brand new rims plus bodyparts and suspension is 6000$. but in order to find out how much it will cost me to fix i need to know what parts should be ordered and part numbers, especially for suspension. so that is why i posted the pics for you guys to identify what need to be changed. of course it is obvious that i need bonnet, front bumper, driver side fender, the driver door, headlamp. what else?
$13K for this wrecked C5 coupe is nuts. But I understand. Too bad it's not a FRC.

Go to page 2 or 3 and find the post with 3 parts sources listed at the bottom of a post. Click each and see their catalog for parts illustration & parts #'s. Very good discounted prices but shipping is going to hurt, big time.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1249213
Old 10-27-2014, 05:28 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Sorry you're able to get so close.....and not realize your dream.....hope that someday your able to own a corvette.....we (americans) take a lot of things for granted like, owning a or sometimes multiple corvettes........ We use it and throw it away or replace it..... I have worked in one of the poorest cities in the world and replacing anything wasn't an option....if you lost it or broke it you were just out of luck............so, I get it. best wishes.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 10-27-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:31 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I would RUN away from this car if I were you.

Extent of the real damage cannot be determined from your pictures. But there is obvious frame damage in at least two places where the frame is the strongest. That alone is going to be very expensive to set right again if it is even possible. Your $6000 estimate is way under estimated in my opinion from what I can see and the $13000 sale price is far too high, again in my estimation.

You mentioned there are very few Corvettes in your country. That being the case most if not all parts are going to need to be acquired from outside your country. Shipping and perhaps import duties just add to the final cost and will certainly delay any repair attempts.

Add to that the unknowns of the drive train.

I would keep looking if I were you. JMHO
OP: Whenever you see his posts, follow his advice on your questions

Quick Reply: Crashed Corvette C5