Crashed Corvette C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:23 AM
Farakz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed Corvette C5

Dear Corvette owners

I need ur advise on the corvette that i am willing to buy. It is a corvette 2001 which has been involved in the accident. Why i would buy damaged corvette? Because in my country you cannot import cars older than 2008. So that is why comes this solution to buy the one of the few corvettes in my country in damaged condition. So i post here to get the advise should i buy the corvette in such condition. This will be my first corvette if i buy. And owners of corvette will know better what parts need to be replaced. I dont know nothing what should be there. could you help me to find out the list of parts that need to be replaced? Please see attached pictures. Looking for ur help.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:41 AM
fedekz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That looks like a ton of work to be honest. The interior looks to be in great condition, which might speak for what kind of overall care the car got before the crash... It all depends on what kind of money your willing to dump into it.

What's your budget for fixing it? That would help us determine if it's possible.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:58 AM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fedekz
That looks like a ton of work to be honest. The interior looks to be in great condition, which might speak for what kind of overall care the car got before the crash... It all depends on what kind of money your willing to dump into it.

What's your budget for fixing it? That would help us determine if it's possible.
The car originally brought from Dubai in 2007. The mileage is 50K km. which is very low. After the accident the car was left for almost two three years that is why the paint looks so bad. The engine after accident is not damaged. The only suspension and bodywork. The price for it 13k $ which is very cheap in my point. But im not sure the condition of the engine and gearbox because the car was left on the open surface for quite long period of time. by budget to fix the car with the new paint and brand new rims plus bodyparts and suspension is 6000$. but in order to find out how much it will cost me to fix i need to know what parts should be ordered and part numbers, especially for suspension. so that is why i posted the pics for you guys to identify what need to be changed. of course it is obvious that i need bonnet, front bumper, driver side fender, the driver door, headlamp. what else?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:17 AM
Mallett Z
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Farakz
The car originally brought from Dubai in 2007. The mileage is 50K km. which is very low. After the accident the car was left for almost two three years that is why the paint looks so bad. The engine after accident is not damaged. The only suspension and bodywork. The price for it 13k $ which is very cheap in my point. But im not sure the condition of the engine and gearbox because the car was left on the open surface for quite long period of time. by budget to fix the car with the new paint and brand new rims plus bodyparts and suspension is 6000$. but in order to find out how much it will cost me to fix i need to know what parts should be ordered and part numbers, especially for suspension. so that is why i posted the pics for you guys to identify what need to be changed. of course it is obvious that i need bonnet, front bumper, driver side fender, the driver door, headlamp. what else?
What country are you in? is your budget in USD?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:21 AM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mallett Z
What country are you in? is your budget in USD?
im in Kazakhstan. We have very high import tax in my country for cars with 4000cc and more.. Higer the cc of the car higher the tax... now it is almost 130% tax. the budget in USD
Old 10-27-2014, 04:03 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

STAY AWAY.....FAR, FAR, AWAY. You will probably spend more on repairs
then what the asking price is. It has some very nasty frame damage.

What puzzles me is, with a front end collision like that, why didn't both air bags go off ?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 AM
Leo23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car can't be fixed on your $6000 budget.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,236 Likes on 13,935 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Looks like a lot of damage would need to be repaired, not only to the frame, but lots of body panels too. I would guess that your $6K budget will be eaten up in very quick order and the car will still require a lot more repairs.

It's nice to want a Corvette, but that one is priced too high to begin with and I would bet the cost of repairs will exceed the purchase price.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:04 AM
HOGSONTHEROAD
Advanced

I agree with most. Walk Away!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 AM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
This is my opinion as well. I have spent close to $9000 on repairing and upgrading my 99 C5 and it was running with very few issues when I bought it. I found out that many service items hadn't been maintained properly and those resulted in $5000 worth of repairs (air conditioning, brakes, wiper motor, other issues), plus the $4000 I spent on wheels, tires, and trip pieces to make it nice.

That car is a wreck, sorry to be so blunt. I would estimate you will spend around $15-20K USD on parts w/import fees, PLUS LABOR to fix it.

Run away from this car as it's got too many issues to feel good about fixing.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:30 AM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I would RUN away from this car if I were you.

Extent of the real damage cannot be determined from your pictures. But there is obvious frame damage in at least two places where the frame is the strongest. That alone is going to be very expensive to set right again if it is even possible. Your $6000 estimate is way under estimated in my opinion from what I can see and the $13000 sale price is far too high, again in my estimation.

You mentioned there are very few Corvettes in your country. That being the case most if not all parts are going to need to be acquired from outside your country. Shipping and perhaps import duties just add to the final cost and will certainly delay any repair attempts.

Add to that the unknowns of the drive train.

I would keep looking if I were you. JMHO
thank you for ur recommendation. I think ur saying true words. I dont know anything what should be under side fender. that is why i was requesting for parts list so i can come out with estimation costs. Yes the parts should be imported from outside, most probably from UAE, because the shipping cost is very cheap rather than from US. The price for US is high i agree in such condition, but in my country again due to high taxes it is acceptable price. maybe i can negotiate till 11k USD.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:33 AM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SG Lou
STAY AWAY.....FAR, FAR, AWAY. You will probably spend more on repairs
then what the asking price is. It has some very nasty frame damage.

What puzzles me is, with a front end collision like that, why didn't both air bags go off ?
Actually it looks really bad.. but the collision was from the side to the divider due to loss of the control. That is why airbags didnt go off. it wasnt straight impact
Old 10-27-2014, 06:35 AM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Looks like a lot of damage would need to be repaired, not only to the frame, but lots of body panels too. I would guess that your $6K budget will be eaten up in very quick order and the car will still require a lot more repairs.

It's nice to want a Corvette, but that one is priced too high to begin with and I would bet the cost of repairs will exceed the purchase price.
do you think frame is damaged a lot? because the frame actually in corvettes very strong. i have no estimation on what it will cost me. but to fully repaint the car will cost approx 1300USD to the premium color plus body panels and suspension replacement costs. i have no idea what parts should be replaced under the driver fender. that is why i cannot estimate the costs.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 AM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScumOne
This is my opinion as well. I have spent close to $9000 on repairing and upgrading my 99 C5 and it was running with very few issues when I bought it. I found out that many service items hadn't been maintained properly and those resulted in $5000 worth of repairs (air conditioning, brakes, wiper motor, other issues), plus the $4000 I spent on wheels, tires, and trip pieces to make it nice.

That car is a wreck, sorry to be so blunt. I would estimate you will spend around $15-20K USD on parts w/import fees, PLUS LABOR to fix it.

Run away from this car as it's got too many issues to feel good about fixing.

thank you for ur feedback.. it is very appreciated. but could you tell me what should be under the driver side fender? what i have to look for. Fender itself, brakes, suspenion?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:08 AM
black match box
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Walk away. Unless you owen an oil well.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:20 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Leo23
I'm guessing the cost of labor there is much lower than here. It's the parts that are going to be hard to find.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:28 AM
gmsuv
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to spare part pricing. You can look up items like hood, radiator, front bumper, light assy, suspension, wheels, fender, and battery. I'm sure others will add items to this list.
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Crashed Corvette C5

Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

The frame is damaged.
the suspension on the right side is gone too.
Unless you know a really good frame shop, and then can do the rest yourself, stay away.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 AM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I'm guessing the cost of labor there is much lower than here. It's the parts that are going to be hard to find.
exactly the labor cost much lower than in US
Old 10-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Farakz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gmsuv
Here is a link to spare part pricing. You can look up items like hood, radiator, front bumper, light assy, suspension, wheels, fender, and battery. I'm sure others will add items to this list.
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/
thank you for the link and info..

Quick Reply: Crashed Corvette C5