Sponsored by:

Need help pinning new superdamper

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 04:43 AM
Mr.Zee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help pinning new superdamper

Hi out there,Ive installed anew ATI damper on my 04 zo6.Got the new hub on and seated OK.Got a Procharger pinning kit,and went thru all the procedures correctly,double checked the drill hole depth,all OK.Upon driving in the supplied pin,Igot it started,but try as I have can't make any progress driving it in.Started with brass drift and hammer,wont drive in.Getting ready to move radiator and tweak air condenser to get more swing,ormaybe I need to use a short sledge.Could use any suggestions.Thanks
Old 10-29-2014, 04:56 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Perhaps a hard freeze on the pin, and what ever heat you can apply to the wheel, even if you can only get hot towels on it. I would even consider those little torches about as big as a pocket lighter, that would get you a lot of compact heat, provided you don't destroy the part with heat distortion.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Mr.Zee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by strand rider
Perhaps a hard freeze on the pin, and what ever heat you can apply to the wheel, even if you can only get hot towels on it. I would even consider those little torches about as big as a pocket lighter, that would get you a lot of compact heat, provided you don't destroy the part with heat distortion.
Thanks for the help,I thought about that,but figured it(pin) would warm up before I could get it seated completely.Here's my progress so far;pulled back hub enough to remove pin,reseated hub,put back drill guide,ran bit in and out several times,removed guide,ran bit freely enough to hopefully enlarge a few thousands(pin is .75,bit is 13/64).Then harbor freight for 4lb.short sledge&drift set.Pounded for an hour using different tecniques,wore myself out,got pin down to almost flush with hub.Still have 3/8" to go to flush with crank snout.Maybe I'll find a 200lb friend to help(I'm only 150)Thanks,Worn Out
Old 10-30-2014, 04:12 PM
45acolta45
4th Gear

I just recently installed the same thing - ATI Harmonic Balancer (ATI-917266) - on a 2000 FRC. However, I installed mine with the engine pulled and hanging from a lift. I had a friend hold the flywheel (pressure plate & disk removed) with a wrench while I tightened the balancer down with an ARP bolt. It took a lot of ratcheting to seat the balancer - forewarning: the balancer will seat in a series of clicks or pops. Once that starts happening, you know she is getting right.

Never drilled anything?

Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Mr.Zee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 45acolta45
I just recently installed the same thing - ATI Harmonic Balancer (ATI-917266) - on a 2000 FRC. However, I installed mine with the engine pulled and hanging from a lift. I had a friend hold the flywheel (pressure plate & disk removed) with a wrench while I tightened the balancer down with an ARP bolt. It took a lot of ratcheting to seat the balancer - forewarning: the balancer will seat in a series of clicks or pops. Once that starts happening, you know she is getting right.

Never drilled anything?

Had a real tough time removing original bolt and stock bal.The reason Im drilling is to drive in a pin so when supercharged,bal won't spin.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wish I could help but can't remember. I installed the same balancer and pinned it. Had no problem at all installing the pin with the engine in the car. Tapped right in.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:31 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Pleased to hear it is coming along. It is alway a little discouraging when you have to resort to hard labor over thought, but sounds like you are almost there.

The term hard freeze is a term I learned from the cooks inspecting the loading of stores on a ship. It is sometimes a long process and well frozen stuff is needed, like mastodon trapped in ice frozen.

Had I considered it at the time, dry ice is now available at local grocery stores around my town, and that might be something to keep in mind for next time. I used to have to go to fire extinguisher service places to get the stuff. I think that is about as cold as you can get without a lab.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Mr.Zee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by strand rider
Pleased to hear it is coming along. It is alway a little discouraging when you have to resort to hard labor over thought, but sounds like you are almost there.

The term hard freeze is a term I learned from the cooks inspecting the loading of stores on a ship. It is sometimes a long process and well frozen stuff is needed, like mastodon trapped in ice frozen.

Had I considered it at the time, dry ice is now available at local grocery stores around my town, and that might be something to keep in mind for next time. I used to have to go to fire extinguisher service places to get the stuff. I think that is about as cold as you can get without a lab.
You know,if I was gonna start again,I'd have used your hard freeze method.Sounds like you get it soo cold you have some time to work it.I've taken a break for a short while(it's really a bear,not sure why.)I'll be back with renewed drive!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Mr.Zee
Intermediate

Well,I found the problem.Procharger packaged the wrong bit in a sealed pinning package.If this was not my first time at this,I'm sure I would have caught it earler.Going back over instruct.,I notice it says ,'drill guide hole with the 1/4" bit provided',they put in a 15/64'bit.I feel like a stooge,the bogus package had to go to the rookie.Not too happy with PC at this point(removed new hub 3 times trying to figure this out).Oh Well,tough titty.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help pinning new superdamper

Quick Reply: Need help pinning new superdamper