Sponsored by:

Flat spotting tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Catman58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat spotting tires

Well it's about time to do the winter storage here in the Nebraska. I am looking for ideas on what needs to be done to keep from getting flat spots on my tires during storage. Or is this something I don't need to worry about? Looking like storage will be November to April at least that is what I am renting the space for. Any thoughts? Thanks for your opinions.

Last edited by Catman58; 11-02-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

First I'm no expert on tires . But this is what I do in regards to tires and winter storage. I but some extra air in tires and on garage floor I put down small carpet square on floor under each tire. Then I but down plastic sheet under entire car thinking it might work as a vapor barrier. I haven't noticed any flat spots in spring. If there was any it must of been very little and worked it way out after a short drive in spring . I store my car from mid November til the mid April. Hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I bought these 1.5 inch thick high density foam cushions for 2 for 5 bucks at Menards to help prevent flat spots. I also add about 5 pounds of pressure.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=42

Many heavy-duty, high-performance, high-speed-rated and racing tires have memory. They continue to remember the position in which they were last parked after they are driven on again. Unfortunately their memory can become a problem when the tires experience big swings in ambient temperature, have been parked overnight in cold temperatures, or are parked for an extended period of time. Because it’s lack of use that can cause tires to flat-spot.

As they roll, tires go from a relaxed state to a loaded state about 800 times every mile. This constant deflection generates heat that makes the tires more flexible. But once they are parked, the spot in contact with the ground (the tire’s footprint) flattens as it is pressed against the road’s flat surface as the tires cool. This is what generates flat spots. And until the tires warm up again, the flat spot on each tire can cause a ride disturbance that will be felt for the first few miles the next time the vehicle is driven.

Flat-spotting can be temporary (the tire will round out as driving warms it up) or in the most severe cases, permanent (in which the tire’s ride quality is effectively destroyed). A flat-spot’s severity is often a function of the tire size, internal structure, load, ambient temperature and time spent stationary.

Low aspect ratio tires have less sidewall flex due to their short sidewalls and much of their load carrying capacity is absorbed by the deflection of their wide footprints.

The tread compounds and firm, nylon reinforced internal constructions used on high performance and high speed-rated tires are more susceptible to flatspotting.

Heavy loads and too little air pressure in the tires (underinflation) will allow them to deflect more where they come into contact with the ground. This allows even more deflection, increasing the severity of the flatspotting.

Cold ambient temperatures make rubber compounds stiffer, increasing their tendency to flatspot.

The longer tires remain stationary, the better they remember the position in which they were last parked. Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for many months can be permanently flat-spotted.

Last edited by JR-01; 11-02-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:41 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Borntorun04
First I'm no expert on tires . But this is what I do in regards to tires and winter storage. I but some extra air in tires and on garage floor I put down small carpet square on floor under each tire. Then I but down plastic sheet under entire car thinking it might work as a vapor barrier. I haven't noticed any flat spots in spring. If there was any it must of been very little and worked it way out after a short drive in spring . I store my car from mid November til the mid April. Hope this helps.
It's amazing how much condensation occurs with heat and cold transferred thru a concrete floor.......I've seen the case on a Harley dripping wet ...... I'm sure the same thing happens to the inside of an aluminum tranny, engine....or whatever......Soooo I think the plastic under the car is WAY more of a concern than flat spots on the tires
Old 11-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

So plastic under car good or bad thing ?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I but some extra air in tires and on garage floor I put down small carpet square on floor under each tire.
Modern tires are not really prone to flat spotting. However, I do the same as what was said above when I put my car away for the winter (December - March).
Old 11-02-2014, 05:58 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

So plastic under car good or bad thing ?
A vapor barrier under the car is a good thing.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
A vapor barrier under the car is a good thing.
Absolutely
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Catman58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. Never thought of the vapor barrier. Great idea.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:37 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Should not have any issues with runflats if you are running them, I never had any issues with my stock Goodyears. My Nitto Invos are quite different I run 255/35 & 285/35/19 and I notice they flat spot when car sits for a week or 2.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 AM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
Should not have any issues with runflats if you are running them, I never had any issues with my stock Goodyears. My Nitto Invos are quite different I run 255/35 & 285/35/19 and I notice they flat spot when car sits for a week or 2.
Never heard of flat spots on tires of cars that sit a week or 2. Now if that was the case, then wouldn't car dealers everywhere be having lots of trouble with the tires on the vehicles they're trying to sell?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:56 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

put the car on jackstands if it's going to be sitting for months
Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Never heard of flat spots on tires of cars that sit a week or 2. Now if that was the case, then wouldn't car dealers everywhere be having lots of trouble with the tires on the vehicles they're trying to sell?
Tires do get flat spots from sitting for weeks but they smooth out in a mile or so. I have road tested new cars that had flat spots I could feel for the first mile. Barely noticeable but I could feel them. Most people would not notice. Temporary flat spots are no big deal. Permanent are rare but can ruin the tire. Many years ago I stored my Mustang for 9 months and the tires developed permanent flat spots that ruined the tires.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had cars in cold garage for 30+ years here outside Chicago. I do NOTHING but park it and put it on the battery tender, never had a problem with "flatspots". Another urban legend.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:16 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

I have never had this problem until I purchased the Nittos I have on my car now, and the problem does go away after a few miles, but it is very noticeable, and I intend to put my stockers back on for storage.

5 Myths about Tires Flat Spots: Caring for your High Performance Car Tires

The Problem

Don slipped into the driverʼs seat of his prized ʼ96 Corvette, fresh out of storage. He shifted into gear and was just picking up speed when he felt strange vibrations – an up-and-down bumping that rattled his fillings. The wheels were balanced and the tires had less than 1,000 miles on them, so what could be causing Donʼs problem? Tire flat spotting.

Flatspotting happens when a tire is compressed against a hard surface while the car is parked. A section of the rubber becomes softer or stiffer than the rest of the tire. The tire flat spots cause a noticeable disturbance when the car is in motion. Flat spotted tires can cause vibrations as soon as you pull out of the garage, but sometimes are only noticeable at higher speeds when you get out on the highway.

Flat spots on tires can develop overnight, but typically occur when a car is parked for 30 days or more. Extreme temperatures, vehicle weight, tire size and tire composition all play a role in the physics of tire flat spotting.

Over the years, myths have built up around flat spotted tires, how theyʼre created, and how to fix them. For the truth about how to prevent tire flat spots, read on.

Myth #1: Good quality tires donʼt get flat spots.

Though flat spots on tires are a normal occurrence for many brands and types of tires, high-performance, high speed rated (H or higher) tires are especially prone to have this problem. High performance tires are engineered to maximize contact with the road surface in order to improve handling at high speeds. Such tires are typically softer and stiffer, with a low profile and larger tread elements.

The very qualities that make tires capable of high performance leave them vulnerable to tire flat spotting. The larger, softer surface of the tire is more likely to absorb heat, cold, moisture, and chemicals from the ground itʼs parked on, especially concrete floors.

Factors that increase the likelihood of a tire flat spot include:

• Low profile tires with short side-walls and a wide footprint

• Nylon-reinforced internal constructions

• Heavy loads

• Under-inflated tires

• Fluctuations in temperature

• Long periods of storage/lack of use

Myth #2: You can always “drive off” tire flat spots after a few miles.

Almost all short term flat spots can be driven out in a short distance if you grit your teeth until the tires warm up and regain their original shape. However, driving on flat spotted tires after long term storage can be far from pleasant. And though a tire flat spot often disappears after a 25+ mile drive, many times it doesnʼt. Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for several months, especially in extreme temperatures, can become permanently flat spotted.

Myth #3: Tire flat spots wonʼt affect the performance of your car.

In some severe cases tire flat spotting becomes permanent, effectively ruining the ride quality of a vehicle. Also, if tires are not stored properly, their appearance, performance, and compound integrity will deteriorate when not in use. Parking a car flat on the ground – especially on bare asphalt, concrete, or other heat-absorbent surfaces – can cause the tires to age and crack over time in addition to developing a flat spot on the tires.

Tires on a car in storage should be protected from sunlight, ozone, extreme temperatures, moisture, oil and grease. The longer the storage period for your vehicle, the greater exposure there is to damage and the more precautions you should take.

Myth #4: You can prevent tire flat spotting with homemade inventions.

Parking your car on carpet squares, sand bags, plywood, and other do-it-yourself contraptions is simply not effective to prevent tire flat spots. In order for tires to maintain their shape in long-term storage the weight of the vehicle must be lifted entirely off the tires or evenly distributed over the tiresʼ surface.

Myth #5: There is no good solution for flat spots on tires.

Drivers like Don can take precautions that will effectively stop tire flat spotting. When storing a vehicle for any length of time, putting it up on blocks or jack stands will take the weight off the tires and prevent tire flat spots. However, jacking your car up can be inconvenient and potentially dangerous.

In the UK, Don can check his Corvette into Storacar, the high end storage facility billed as a “Hotel for Fine Automobiles.” (See http://www.storacar.co.uk/car-storage.html) Storacar will rotate your tires on a special machine every 30 days to “prevent tyre flat spotting which can lead to them needing changing.” Unfortunately, Don lives in Ohio. Besides, his significant other would rather he save the fancy hotels for her.

Don could also drive the car more often, but this just isnʼt always feasible, especially in the winter months.

Even if Don drives his car regularly, high speed rated tires are susceptible to flatspotting when a hot, malleable tire is parked on a cool concrete floor. Getting the car up off the garage floor with proper tire support after driving is essential for preventing both temporary and permanent instances of flat spotted tires.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:39 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Had cars in cold garage for 30+ years here outside Chicago. I do NOTHING but park it and put it on the battery tender, never had a problem with "flatspots". Another urban legend.
LOL........just because it hasn't happened to you?............LOL
Amazing.

Is Ebola an urban legend because you never got it? LOL. I love it when people discount something because it never happened to them. LOL

BTW, two years ago a house down the street burned down because of a battery charger/tender on a stored car.

Last edited by JR-01; 11-03-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:45 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

LOL........just because it hasn't happened to you?............LOL
Amazing.

Is Ebola an urban legend because you never got it? LOL. I love it when people discount something because it never happened to them. LOL
30 years, 3 Vettes, a couple bikes and never a problem, Chicago winters in unheated garage, again, an urban legend.

Get notified of new replies

To Flat spotting tires

Old 11-03-2014, 09:56 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
30 years, 3 Vettes, a couple bikes and never a problem, Chicago winters in unheated garage, again, an urban legend.
God, it must be if it never happened to you. LOL.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:04 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

God, it must be if it never happened to you. LOL.
Waste all the time and money you want on this, I really don't care one way or the other. Don't you think cars sit outside most of the winter all over, including dealer lots?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:12 AM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I once (10 years ago) had tread separation from a vehicle being parked for several months without any preps for long term parking. The two front tires developed bulges in the tread area that didn't become noticeable until I got up to speed. That caused a high speed wobble that nearly killed me. If I'm going to store a vehicle for long term, I put it on jack stands. That takes all the weight off the tires. Otherwise, I try to drive it every month or so to keep the tires pliable. It's a lot like exercise. No exercise, you get stiff and after a while you really have to work at it to get your agility back. Keep working your joints and muscles and you feel better. You'll live longer too.

Quick Reply: Flat spotting tires