Sponsored by:

DIC lights and cluster removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:27 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Default DIC lights and cluster removal

Months ago the upper light bulb in my DIC fell out - I actually found it on the floor by the gas pedal and it took a while to figure out what it was (by the upper 2 gauges being unlit at night). Now the second bulb is out, at least most of the time - it lights up intermittently. What a PIA to take the whole interior of the car apart to replace the bulbs, but if I do that, maybe I'll change them out to LEDs.
I saw a video on YouTube of a guy who was able to remove the instrument panel from under the dash by removing the screw on the left side under the pillar and pushing the dash up, without removing the entire glove box and dash, and wiggling the cluster out and was able to get it back in the same way. Has anyone done that? Here's a link to the video:
That looks like a great shortcut to do this real PIA job for a light bulb. Maybe I'll just leave the lights out even though it bothers me not being right.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I have never taken the dash pad loose. I take the knee bolster off and then remove the couple nuts that hold the steering column. The video way would work as well it looks like though. Not sure which way would be eaiser.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:19 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

So if you take off the knee bolster and drop the steering column you don't have to remove the center console and bezel and the dash? Just unbolt the cluster and remove? That sounds way easier than all that other work..
Old 11-09-2014, 09:06 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Regardless of method the radio surround has to be removed. One of the screws for the knee bolster is hidden by part of this. It is not a difficult job, I have R/R the cluster replacing a couple of lamps within 45min.

Gary
Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by mstromquist
I have never taken the dash pad loose. I take the knee bolster off and then remove the couple nuts that hold the steering column. The video way would work as well it looks like though. Not sure which way would be eaiser.
Same here.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:42 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I had to replace my DIC....after I took it apart the first time and replaced one of the bulbs....I found it easier to remove the dash panel. I have had the dash panel off at least 3 times for various things so for me it's a piece of cake.

Get notified of new replies

To DIC lights and cluster removal

Quick Reply: DIC lights and cluster removal