Sponsored by:

c5 alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:35 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 alignment

I know this subject has probably been beat to death on here but I'm still a little confused. I have a base C5 with Z06 wheel with new Conti EC tires in stock Z06 sizes, and new Bilstein HD shocks. I need to get the alignment checked later this week but I'm unsure about what specs to use for the alignment. I don't track the car at all and I'm not an real aggressive driver. I do sometimes get a little crazy with it on the street but not that much. I could use the factory specs for the base vette, or the Z06 specs, or the Pfadt specs, although the Pfadt specs seems to be very much like the factory Z06 specs. I have read that the Z06 specs will cause excessive wear on the inside edges of the front tires, and considering the price of tires these days I want to get as many miles out of a set as I can. At the same time I don't want to degrade the performance of the car. I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas from anyone who has had a similar issue as mine. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:25 PM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cs-needed.html

I autocross my C5 and I used the C5 Z06 specs. I have stock C5 wheels and tire sizes, C6 Z06 sway bars and shocks
Old 11-12-2014, 11:40 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Originally Posted by GeneT
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cs-needed.html

I autocross my C5 and I used the C5 Z06 specs. I have stock C5 wheels and tire sizes, C6 Z06 sway bars and shocks
Thanks for the info but I have no plans to autocross my c5 and I'm a little concerned about using the z06 specs and wearing out the inside edges of the front tires. Some people on the forums complain about that very issue, and yet other people say they don't have a problem. That's why I'm a little confused.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:56 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by theoldmusicman
I know this subject has probably been beat to death on here but I'm still a little confused. I have a base C5 with Z06 wheel with new Conti EC tires in stock Z06 sizes, and new Bilstein HD shocks. I need to get the alignment checked later this week but I'm unsure about what specs to use for the alignment. I don't track the car at all and I'm not an real aggressive driver. I do sometimes get a little crazy with it on the street but not that much. I could use the factory specs for the base vette, or the Z06 specs, or the Pfadt specs, although the Pfadt specs seems to be very much like the factory Z06 specs. I have read that the Z06 specs will cause excessive wear on the inside edges of the front tires, and considering the price of tires these days I want to get as many miles out of a set as I can. At the same time I don't want to degrade the performance of the car. I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas from anyone who has had a similar issue as mine. Thanks!
This link might be of help:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html
Old 11-13-2014, 06:26 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I pretty much have the same set up as you....Base C5, Z06 size wheel and tires, Z06 springs, shocks and sway bars. Mine is set up to factory specs ( Base, not Z06 )and have no issues with tire wear.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:09 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Just use the factory specs.

Signed - the alignment guy
Old 11-13-2014, 01:28 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by mrr23

HOWEVER, you need to make sure the alignment person sets ALL the adjustments on the NOMINAL value for each. This "it's in the green" s**t (on the newer alignment racks), won't cut it!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:27 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

The "it's in green" has nothing to do with the rack. It has to do with the laziness of the technicians. The manufacturer give these tolerances that say "you shouldn't get excessive tire wear" as long as you stay in this range. Unfortunately it doesn't hold true most of the time. So it's up to the technicians to do the right thing and get it to the spec called for.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:49 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

The factory base specs, or the factory Z06 specs?
Old 11-13-2014, 02:55 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

The "it's in green" has nothing to do with the rack. It has to do with the laziness of the technicians. The manufacturer give these tolerances that say "you shouldn't get excessive tire wear" as long as you stay in this range. Unfortunately it doesn't hold true most of the time. So it's up to the technicians to do the right thing and get it to the spec called for.
I saw on another thread on the forum where you posted a picture of an alignment you did that was slightly more camber than the base specs but more caster and less toe on the right side front. Was there a reason for that? I think it might have been on your vette. I printed out the picture just for reference.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:32 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

I saw on another thread on the forum where you posted a picture of an alignment you did that was slightly more camber than the base specs but more caster and less toe on the right side front. Was there a reason for that? I think it might have been on your vette. I printed out the picture just for reference.

This was from my car that you are referring to. Stock camber is -0.25. You'll notice the camber is slightly lower on the left when compared to the right. When someone sits in a vehicle, the camber goes higher on the left and lower on the right. Reason for higher caster on the right is to offset the road crown. If caster was equal, the car would drift right.toe being less on the right is because steering wheel was .01 to the right. So turning the wheel left .01 would make toe .03 on both sides.

Side note: I have c6 z06 wheels and tires on my car.

Last edited by mrr23; 11-13-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:02 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

The factory base specs, or the factory Z06 specs?
Base.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:51 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

It also gives them a broad window of "acceptability", to avoid warranty work....
Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
It also gives them a broad window of "acceptability", to avoid warranty work....
Yep.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:21 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

This was from my car that you are referring to. Stock camber is -0.25. You'll notice the camber is slightly lower on the left when compared to the right. When someone sits in a vehicle, the camber goes higher on the left and lower on the right. Reason for higher caster on the right is to offset the road crown. If caster was equal, the car would drift right.toe being less on the right is because steering wheel was .01 to the right. So turning the wheel left .01 would make toe .03 on both sides.

Side note: I have c6 z06 wheels and tires on my car.

Any reason I couldn't use these specs?

You're the expert and if that's what you use on your car then it's good enough for me......
Old 11-13-2014, 10:07 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Yes you can use the specs I did on my car.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:18 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Yes you can use the specs I did on my car.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Get notified of new replies

To c5 alignment

Old 11-14-2014, 07:19 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Originally Posted by strand rider
MY alignment guy had me sit in the car and asked me about the typical ride weight as he set the wheels with non electric measuring tools, the same calipers he uses on the track.

It would seem that worrying about a percentage of a degree or so won't make much difference if a couple of fat asses go for a ride, or even just one.

I think that going to all the trouble to get computer readouts and then not consider typical load or just putting the driver in the car for the adjustment is missing the big picture. Unless the picture is about image and money over quality of work.

I have seen a guy hang the laser alignment tools while the SUV was sitting on a slanted lumpy driveway and get a computer alignment readout. HE had to punch the buttons a couple of extra times to get to get an acceptable result, but I bet they won't accept close enough or almost perfect on the money they collected. I sure they expect payment without any error every time.

I am fortunate to live in an area with a good shop, I don't have to question the work, and the ride is set for my needs , one of which is go tire life .
I was suppose to have the alignment done this afternoon but they got busy so I rescheduled for Monday morning. I did talk to the tech and he either gets the driver to sit in the car while he does the alignment or he dials it in to compensate for the drivers weight. He will also dial in for the road crown if you want him to. The extra time will give me a little longer to decide exactly which way I want to go with the alignment. Right now it's between the alignment that mrr23 posted or the Pfadt Street alignment. mrr23's alignment looks good based on his years of experience. But the Pfadt alignment sure seems to be real popular among members of the forum. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:45 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

I was suppose to have the alignment done this afternoon but they got busy so I rescheduled for Monday morning. I did talk to the tech and he either gets the driver to sit in the car while he does the alignment or he dials it in to compensate for the drivers weight. He will also dial in for the road crown if you want him to. The extra time will give me a little longer to decide exactly which way I want to go with the alignment. Right now it's between the alignment that mrr23 posted or the Pfadt Street alignment. mrr23's alignment looks good based on his years of experience. But the Pfadt alignment sure seems to be real popular among members of the forum. Decisions, decisions.
Do you want better handling with a little more inner tire wear over time? Then pfadt is the specs for you.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:45 PM
theoldmusicman
Advanced

Do you want better handling with a little more inner tire wear over time? Then pfadt is the specs for you.
I know. I guess I'm trying to find the best of both worlds. Better tire wear and good handling and performance. There probably isn't a happy medium.

Quick Reply: c5 alignment