2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JR-01
Tip: One car length for every ten mph. 2-3 ain't enough for me at 70 mph.
Originally Posted by WetteVette

If only drivers would observe this simple rule of the road that we (supposedly) all learned in high school drivers' education, the highways would be a safer place.
Too bad this space is often used for other cars to pull in or try to pass.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:47 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Same in MD. I live near I95 and get all those crazy drivers from CT, NY, NJ and DE riding on your bumper and not letting you have any space up front. Soooo, because I am retired and do not have to commute, when I can advoid it, I do not to drive the expressways when I take the 04 vette out for a drive.
The best part of our trip to Connecticut last summer was getting off the highways and cruising the back roads. Driving through the big cities was a nightmare.
I will never drive out east again. From now on our road trips are out west. Yellowstone next summer.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Surfer G
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the tips! [/QUOTE]

Living at the lake your always behind boat trailers, the roads are narrow here and the rednecks with their dual-wheel pickups are always throwing gravel. Lot of construction as well so dump trucks hauling gravel are always a treat. Had no chips when I bought my vette, but now after 10k I have a-good half dozen. Don't really care as long as I can drive the vette.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:06 PM
CWHPARTS
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Most likely you have a car that has been repainted. The reason it wasn't on the carfax report is simple, if it wasn't an insurance job or a reputable repair facility its likely that it wasn't reported. I personally have painted hundreds of cars in the past that were not reported. It just depends on the shop. I would recommend having the bumper resprayed again and adding the clear bra. That should give you the protection you need. The durability of the paint all depends on the prep and the quality of the materials used to refinish the panel. Take your car to a reputable shop and make sure they are using a quality product. I can tell you that when it comes to automotive paint, you get what you are willing to pay for. Good Luck with your car and we hope you get the product you are looking for.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:21 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

touch them up, then add a clear bra or clear plastic dip.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:35 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt.S
Torch Red - I live in suburbs above Atlanta, we don't really just have gravel laying around on the roads I travel.
I also have torch red and live in cumming ga and have not
had a similar problem. One chip on the hood in 4 years
Old 11-19-2014, 04:37 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CWHPARTS
Most likely you have a car that has been repainted. The reason it wasn't on the carfax report is simple, if it wasn't an insurance job or a reputable repair facility its likely that it wasn't reported. I personally have painted hundreds of cars in the past that were not reported. It just depends on the shop. I would recommend having the bumper resprayed again and adding the clear bra. That should give you the protection you need. The durability of the paint all depends on the prep and the quality of the materials used to refinish the panel. Take your car to a reputable shop and make sure they are using a quality product. I can tell you that when it comes to automotive paint, you get what you are willing to pay for. Good Luck with your car and we hope you get the product you are looking for.
What should a good quality re spray cost?
Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CWHPARTS
It's not really the bumper, it's the hood! Just look like specs of ash but they don't come off haha.

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
touch them up, then add a clear bra or clear plastic dip.
Any idea as to the cost of a touch up + clear bra up the hood?
Originally Posted by cessna10
I also have torch red and live in cumming ga and have not
had a similar problem. One chip on the hood in 4 years
You don't even have specs? What I have aren't big at all, like I mentioned above it looks like specs of ash. I'm surprised...
Old 11-19-2014, 05:01 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

It's not really the bumper, it's the hood! Just look like specs of ash but they don't come off haha.

Any idea as to the cost of a touch up + clear bra up the hood?

You don't even have specs? What I have aren't big at all, like I mentioned above it looks like specs of ash. I'm surprised...
You should inspect them a little closer and make sure they are chips where the paint is missing and not something else on top of the paint.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

You should inspect them a little closer and make sure they are chips where the paint is missing and not something else on top of the paint.
What would tell me the difference?
Old 11-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

A chip that goes all the way through the clearcoat and the color coat (so the primer shows through) should be pretty obvious to the touch. There are any number of things (e.g. tree sap) that can get on top of the paint and not come off with a casual wipe-down or even a wash. Try a little polish on a rag.
But bottom line, if you have 'rock chips' on the hood and not on the bumper, they're probably not chips.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:38 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Use a magnifying glass and see if the paint is gone in those specks and feel with your finger. Your description of uniform specks could be some paint or something you picked up off the road. If they aren't chips you could probably remove them with rubbing compound. Find out exactly what they are first.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You can put on Xpel or 3M clear bra and that will certainly help with the rock chips but be prepared for quite an expense. I have the 3M stuff on my C5 (with the exception of the front fascia) and it works very well.

Another product, and one that I use, is the GM bra. For about $85-90, you get a heavy vinyl front cover that fits right, does not flap and has not put a scratch on my car in over five years of use. Some don't like the look of a bra in the car, but it sure as heck beats getting chips all the time and costs a lot less than the other alternatives.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:08 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Certainly one of the downsides of owning C5's is the huge fascia area susceptible to the all too common road debris and bugs, no matter how good a driver you are, and taking the necessary precautions, chips are inevitable, more so if you daily drive it. I've already had my fascia repainted twice over the 11 years I've owned mine. I bought a stretch-front mask with mirror covers and the protection it affords is well worth the investment. That's been 3 years ago and I've yet to see a new blemish when I have the masks on. Just my .02 worth. Happy motoring!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

Originally Posted by C5R USA
Certainly one of the downsides of owning C5's is the huge fascia area susceptible to the all too common road debris and bugs, no matter how good a driver you are, and taking the necessary precautions, chips are inevitable, more so if you daily drive it. I've already had my fascia repainted twice over the 11 years I've owned mine. I bought a stretch-front mask with mirror covers and the protection it affords is well worth the investment. That's been 3 years ago and I've yet to see a new blemish when I have the masks on. Just my .02 worth. Happy motoring!
What do you mean by mask?
---
What's the expected cost for a clear cover? Like 3m or other options.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:02 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

What do you mean by mask?
---
What's the expected cost for a clear cover? Like 3m or other options.
http://www.corvettemods.com/Masks_c_573.html
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
A chip that goes all the way through the clearcoat and the color coat (so the primer shows through) should be pretty obvious to the touch. There are any number of things (e.g. tree sap) that can get on top of the paint and not come off with a casual wipe-down or even a wash. Try a little polish on a rag.
But bottom line, if you have 'rock chips' on the hood and not on the bumper, they're probably not chips.
Interesting. Just out of curiosity why do you rule out chips on the hood?
Use a magnifying glass and see if the paint is gone in those specks and feel with your finger. Your description of uniform specks could be some paint or something you picked up off the road. If they aren't chips you could probably remove them with rubbing compound. Find out exactly what they are first.
It's dark so I can't do much with a magnifying glass but to the touch it feels no different than the clean paint next to it - both are actually smooth to the touch.
Originally Posted by C5R USA
Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To Rock Chips... Holy Cow!

Old 11-19-2014, 11:09 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
That's part of an inside joke that you'll catch on to as you spend more time here. That said, my car is never washed. Cleaned waterlessly before the cover goes on, yes, but never washed.
No to Zaino!!! LOL
Old 11-20-2014, 12:55 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting. Just out of curiosity why do you rule out chips on the hood?
Unless someone is dropping rocks on you from an overpass, it's pretty hard for them to hit the hood and miss the bumper and the windshield.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:57 AM
Matt.S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Unless someone is dropping rocks on you from an overpass, it's pretty hard for them to hit the hood and miss the bumper and the windshield.
What else could these little flakes be?? How do I get them off lmao.

Side note what wax do vette users like?

Quick Reply: Rock Chips... Holy Cow!