Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:57 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Unless someone is dropping rocks on you from an overpass, it's pretty hard for them to hit the hood and miss the bumper and the windshield.
as a sidenote, probably not your issue (OP):

a few weeks ago, I parked 'in the shade' of a big tree at the golf course.
After playing, on the way home, I noted little tree droppings/seeds all over the hood. Kind of like pea size.
I noticed that they did not blow off, from the wind effect of driving.

At home, I started cleaning them off. Wow! They were stuck, with what I believe to be like a tree sap. All came off with calif duster, but each leaving behind a tiny little red dot, again, of what I believe to be tree sap, or pollen. Not sure???

But I had to work hard to clean all this off. It did not come off, easily. That's it for me, parking under or near trees (this time of year) anyway...
Never encountered anything quite like that, which would not come off, with gentle coaxing.....

Don
Old 11-20-2014, 11:53 AM
2vettes2go
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have a Toyota truck that has the same problem. the truck had a lot of rock chips and the dealer had it retouched..AND as time went by the worthless paint washed/wore off..allowing all the chips to appear. you got screwed when you bought your vette, they should have told you that they repaired the front . too bad for them, and I;m sorry for you. you will have to have the facia repainted to get rid of the chips.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:56 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vettes2go
we have a Toyota truck that has the same problem. the truck had a lot of rock chips and the dealer had it retouched..AND as time went by the worthless paint washed/wore off..allowing all the chips to appear. you got screwed when you bought your vette, they should have told you that they repaired the front . too bad for them, and I;m sorry for you. you will have to have the facia repainted to get rid of the chips.
His problem is on the hood.

It's not really the bumper, it's the hood! Just look like specs of ash but they don't come off haha.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for clarifying JR.

Don I had that happen to my BMW, I no longer park under trees haha.

Oh and 2vettes2go: I appreciate you commenting to "try" and help but telling someone on a purchase as large as buying a "new (to them)" Corvette that they got "screwed" is a tad impolite to be frank. I'm happy with my purchase and I enjoy the car. I paid dealer cost when I purchased the car so I believe from others I had compared I got a good deal, I paid lower for an 01 with 77k mi before tax tag and title than I've seen some people comment on the "worth" of cars people are interested in buying. So while having specs on my hood may bother my OCD, my car is beautiful in photos and I get a lot of compliments, plus it came with goodies that will save me upwards of $1500+ to have installed.

Next time try helping a person find solutions to their problem...

Last edited by Matt.S; 11-20-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by donald4972
as a sidenote, probably not your issue (OP):

a few weeks ago, I parked 'in the shade' of a big tree at the golf course.
After playing, on the way home, I noted little tree droppings/seeds all over the hood. Kind of like pea size.
I noticed that they did not blow off, from the wind effect of driving.

At home, I started cleaning them off. Wow! They were stuck, with what I believe to be like a tree sap. All came off with calif duster, but each leaving behind a tiny little red dot, again, of what I believe to be tree sap, or pollen. Not sure???

But I had to work hard to clean all this off. It did not come off, easily. That's it for me, parking under or near trees (this time of year) anyway...
Never encountered anything quite like that, which would not come off, with gentle coaxing.....

Don
Goo Gone would have made short work of that.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt.S
What else could these little flakes be?? How do I get them off lmao.
You could try a clay bar or some Goo Gone.

Side note what wax do vette users like?
Zaino!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Goo Gone would have made short work of that.
And is probably worth a try on OP's "rock chips".
Old 11-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

You could try a clay bar or some Goo Gone.

Zaino!
And is probably worth a try on OP's "rock chips".
I can try goo gone, this stuff seems pretty aggressive though. Any procedures to using it? My car is really smooth, even over these areas. In my experience it is time to clay when the surface gets rough. Also it's starting to get pretty cold in GA so washing my car, clay, and wax was a 6-8hr process when I did my BMW and that's a long time to freeze haha. Maybe I can talk to a friend who has a warehouse and see about doing the detailing in there.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

I can try goo gone, this stuff seems pretty aggressive though.
Compared to what? It's a solvent, with zero abrasive.
Unless your car is painted with label glue, the worst it will do is leave a clean spot and you'll have to actually wash the car.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:08 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I can try goo gone, this stuff seems pretty aggressive though. Any procedures to using it? My car is really smooth, even over these areas. In my experience it is time to clay when the surface gets rough. Also it's starting to get pretty cold in GA so washing my car, clay, and wax was a 6-8hr process when I did my BMW and that's a long time to freeze haha. Maybe I can talk to a friend who has a warehouse and see about doing the detailing in there.
I have removed overspray with a good cleaner/wax or polishing compound before. It is not aggressive and will not harm the paint.
I guess the first thing you have to determine if it's something on the paint or the paint is chipped off. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

I guess my question towards goo gone is will it remove whatever wax I do have?

Anyone live OTP North of ATL that's good with this whole detailing bit?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I can try goo gone, this stuff seems pretty aggressive though. Any procedures to using it?
Wipe it on, rub in a circular motion, and wipe off. It's not aggressive in any way. I use it on my clear-coated wheels to remove stuck-on road tar and old glue from balancing weights with zero effects. I also use it for road tar on my fenders and rocker panels.

My car is really smooth, even over these areas. In my experience it is time to clay when the surface gets rough.
That's not necessarily true. A finish can feel smooth to the touch and still have contaminants in it.

Also it's starting to get pretty cold in GA so washing my car, clay, and wax was a 6-8hr process when I did my BMW and that's a long time to freeze haha. Maybe I can talk to a friend who has a warehouse and see about doing the detailing in there.
You're only doing the hood right? Not the whole car. It shouldn't take much time at all.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

Wipe it on, rub in a circular motion, and wipe off. It's not aggressive in any way. I use it on my clear-coated wheels to remove stuck-on road tar and old glue from balancing weights with zero effects. I also use it for road tar on my fenders and rocker panels.

That's not necessarily true. A finish can feel smooth to the touch and still have contaminants in it.

You're only doing the hood right? Not the whole car. It shouldn't take much time at all.
If I took time to clay it, I would figure why not clay the whole car and put on fresh wax?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

If I took time to clay it, I would figure why not clay the whole car and put on fresh wax?
Because it's cold as hell and all you need to do is the hood? That would be enough reason for me.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

Because it's cold as hell and all you need to do is the hood? That would be enough reason for me.
Haha touché! I'm not sure I'll be able to just do the front of the car when the back is like 1/4 of the size haha. I take it I should try goo gone before clay though? And if both options don't work?
Old 11-20-2014, 02:13 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I've never had a car that was so prone to chips in my life. I didn't notice the chips on my car either when I bought it because of the light/sun on the car the day I looked at it.

When these cars first came out there was an uproar over the paint quality and a problem with bubbling paint. While some people have never experienced this fault, others have had to have their car completely repainted. There are many threads in search if one wants to search for them.

Mine is terrible and if I didn't love the car so much it would be at a dealer being traded tomorrow. But I'm addicted to it and it is what it is.

I'm going to try Dr Chip this winter and see how that works. I would like to get my nose painted but I'm concerned of matching the paint. The worst part of mine is the nose, and the hood, the rest isn't all that bad except for the bubbling on the trunk lid.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Haha touché! I'm not sure I'll be able to just do the front of the car when the back is like 1/4 of the size haha. I take it I should try goo gone before clay though? And if both options don't work?
I would try the Goo Gone first. If both options don't work try some cleaner/wax, and if that fails, take it by a body shop and have them take a look at it.

Get notified of new replies

To Rock Chips... Holy Cow!

Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Unless someone is dropping rocks on you from an overpass, it's pretty hard for them to hit the hood and miss the bumper and the windshield.
Sorry to inform you if they can hit the windshield they can hit the hood
Old 11-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cessna10
Did you have a point to make or are you just bored?
Try reading what I actually said...
Old 11-20-2014, 04:59 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by cessna10
And they do. Rocks don't fly in straight lines all the time, they go up, they come down. And for whatever reason a Corvette seems to have a rock magnet built into them.

Quick Reply: Rock Chips... Holy Cow!