Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:48 PM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Default Double Din Install

First off let me say Dennis at Http://doubledmods.com is absolutely amazing, i first jumped into a clearance model package he was offering then upgraded to another special pricing unit with Navigation then added Premium Brackets and Reverse Camera.

Multiple E-Mails and a phone call to confirm the exact order because of my ever changing mind and he was happy to take the time to get me fixed up.

The install wasn't difficult by any means but very time consuming to get things right, having the right tool to cut out the bracket under the radio would of saved quite a bit of frustration.

He has an install guide on the website which is very helpful without using it i would of got lost multiple times, only issue i ran into is the passenger door speaker is making a bit of a rattle/popping noise with bass sound emailed him to see how he would follow up with it.

Fit and Finish are top notch, thanks again Dennis looking forward to doing future business with you.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Looks really good. Dennis does do good work in the double din mods and in putting together packages that work well in our cars.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

A double din mod is on my to do list. Dennis will be the one I seek.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Allieboy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

nice job looks great
Old 11-22-2014, 10:30 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

He says he can do it with a switch for back and forth, but did anyone ever install a front looking camera too, in addition to the rear looking camera? That would be great to see the curbs in front instead of listening to a beep from the ultrasonic device.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Looks really good. Dennis does do good work in the double din mods and in putting together packages that work well in our cars.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:57 PM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by mrlmd
He says he can do it with a switch for back and forth, but did anyone ever install a front looking camera too, in addition to the rear looking camera? That would be great to see the curbs in front instead of listening to a beep from the ultrasonic device.
He does offer a switching device package with 2 cameras for I think it's 99.00 I am not positive how the front camera gets activated.

My clarion unit has additional video inputs which leads me to believe adding a front camera would be fairly easy but would have to manually turn it on each time
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by OKZ06
....having the right tool to cut out the bracket under the radio would of saved quite a bit of frustration...
For sure, removing the bracket is one of the more frustrating parts of the conversion.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:10 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks great - congrats!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:47 AM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

After Dennis hooked me up with my pakage, I installed front and rear cameras. I used a traction control plate that had the three position ride select switch to keep it factory looking. My car did not have this option. Rewired the switch for front on demand camera, normal mode for reverse, and rear on demand camera. This is routed through a dual relay system I made to switch power to chosen camera. Power has to be switched to chosen camera or you get a mixed video signal. A video splitter is used between front and rear cameras. So I can switch from front to rear camera whenever I need even going down the road. Helps with front curb parking as well.

Last edited by Stealth02; 11-23-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Stealth - That /\ is great. You need to post a write-up of that installation, or at least a wiring diagram of how you did that. Whenever I get around to getting my double din, that's what I want to do.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome idea on the camera! I might have to just steal this idea from you.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Great ideas posted
Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought a extra bezel off Ebay and Dennis already has it but I still haven't pulled the trigger on the package yet. I didn't think that much about the camera's but your set up has me thinking
Old 11-25-2014, 10:25 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Thanks TY!!

On the cameras

we have been using Pyle cameras as they are very inexpensive and will do front and rear for correct image viewing.
If you connect the rear camera as normal and the front run to video in you can switch on screen to video for front camera.
Some of the KEnwood 6.95" screens have an AUD button on the bottom of them to press that will switch to the front camera as well.

we do have the unit to switch them from Crimestoppers in stock should you want to do that option.

Clarion NX404 is what is shown above the TY installed.

BLACK FRIDAY DEALS WILL BE AVIALABLE ON RADIO PACKAGES

MOST YOU WILL HAVE TO CALL US NOW TO END OF DAY ON MONDAY

DUE TO MAP PRICING WE CAN NOT POST PRICING BELOW WHAT WE ARE ALLOWED TO POST

I HAVE YEAR END DEALS ON ALL KENWOOD GOING NOW

CALL ME DIRECT!!!
608 854 2033

SORRY FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO SHARE PRICING ONLINE BUT RULES ARE RULES

DENNIS
Old 11-25-2014, 10:26 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by mrlmd
WE CAN DO IT

FYI
CURB ALERT PRO WILL BE 109.99 FOR BLACK FRIDAY WEEKEND
Old 11-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default I want to point out something...

When I contacted Dennis about doing a double din... I had already done my research and knew what I wanted.. ( I should say , what I " thought I wanted " ) As smart as I think I am, I knew going in, that I was not an expert in audio design... So I allowed Dennis to change my mind... I let him, because I put my self in his hands.. after all he was the expert... he could have just taken my order, and could have been supportive of my choice. But this is Dennis.. he asked me a few questions about my choice, and always with respect for my thoughts...
to make a long story short... he gave me logical reason to rethink my choice...
Im going to point out a very critical issue that I had no clue it was so critical... I was going for the "clean look " ... Dennis said clean is one thing but function is another..... he talked me into getting a head unt with a large volume ****...as oppose to and up and down push button, in a row of many exact push buttons, with no way of telling one from the other without looking.....

Let me tell you ... the volume button is used more then any other control on my head unit...IM constantly adjusting it for sound when stopped at a light with windows down, then back up to those pumping tones when cruising...
Dennis talked me into that large volume button because you never have to take your eyes off the road.. it is instantly recognizable by its feel.. where as, a row of small square button with different functions make them hard to ditinguish one from the other.... My point here is Dennis was genuine, and respectful of my original ideas.. but talked me into a better choice, and I let him because " He " " IS" the EXPERT.

With Dennis, you get great prices ... his expertise, and his customer service. Its fairly easy to recognize his personality as being a great guy when you talk with him, an expert in this stuff, and someone you could allow with confidence to follow his recommendations...If you have a budget.. he will give you the best bang for the buck.. and also something that might be a little out of the budget, but an increase in your overall experience for very little money... BTW a rear camera and a front camera is a nice option for little extra money...something you may not have considered. You can be assured that Dennis is in your corner.. I don't endorse too many Vendors, But Double D mods is a great place to spend some money with confidence.. and great tech support..
Thanks Dennis... you are a good guy.. and a credit to your parents LOL
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 11-25-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Double Din Install

Old 11-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

That's got to be the best endorsement I have read.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:13 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stealth02
After Dennis hooked me up with my pakage, I installed front and rear cameras. I used a traction control plate that had the three position ride select switch to keep it factory looking. My car did not have this option. Rewired the switch for front on demand camera, normal mode for reverse, and rear on demand camera. This is routed through a dual relay system I made to switch power to chosen camera. Power has to be switched to chosen camera or you get a mixed video signal. A video splitter is used between front and rear cameras. So I can switch from front to rear camera whenever I need even going down the road. Helps with front curb parking as well.

That is a fantastic idea!

I already have a Kenwood DD system from Dennis and I'm thinking about upgrading my headunit next year. If I do, I might try this mod as well. Again, great idea!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
When I contacted Dennis about doing a double din... I had already done my research and knew what I wanted.. ( I should say , what I " thought I wanted " ) As smart as I think I am, I knew going in, that I was not an expert in audio design... So I allowed Dennis to change my mind... I let him, because I put my self in his hands.. after all he was the expert... he could have just taken my order, and could have been supportive of my choice. But this is Dennis.. he asked me a few questions about my choice, and always with respect for my thoughts...
to make a long story short... he gave me logical reason to rethink my choice...
Im going to point out a very critical issue that I had no clue it was so critical... I was going for the "clean look " ... Dennis said clean is one thing but function is another..... he talked me into getting a head unt with a large volume ****...as oppose to and up and down push button, in a row of many exact push buttons, with no way of telling one from the other without looking.....

Let me tell you ... the volume button is used more then any other control on my head unit...IM constantly adjusting it for sound when stopped at a light with windows down, then back up to those pumping tones when cruising...
Dennis talked me into that large volume button because you never have to take your eyes off the road.. it is instantly recognizable by its feel.. where as, a row of small square button with different functions make them hard to ditinguish one from the other.... My point here is Dennis was genuine, and respectful of my original ideas.. but talked me into a better choice, and I let him because " He " " IS" the EXPERT.

With Dennis, you get great prices ... his expertise, and his customer service. Its fairly easy to recognize his personality as being a great guy when you talk with him, an expert in this stuff, and someone you could allow with confidence to follow his recommendations...If you have a budget.. he will give you the best bang for the buck.. and also something that might be a little out of the budget, but an increase in your overall experience for very little money... BTW a rear camera and a front camera is a nice option for little extra money...something you may not have considered. You can be assured that Dennis is in your corner.. I don't endorse too many Vendors, But Double D mods is a great place to spend some money with confidence.. and great tech support..
Thanks Dennis... you are a good guy.. and a credit to your parents LOL
Bill aka ET

Originally Posted by Crosis
That's got to be the best endorsement I have read.
I have a similar Kenwood head unit with the volume ****. I wish they also offered some kind of scroll wheel on the side so that I could toggle through my playlist a little easier. The touch screen toggle funtion is a bit "touchy" at times and does not match up well with Corvette HP.

Quick Reply: Double Din Install