Sponsored by:

It's Always Something...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Ron Shull
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Same thing happened to me on way home from NCM 20th on I-65, in Indiana, State Farm is no deductible for full replacement by professional glass shop. Rock kicked up...was right in my sight lines...
Old 11-25-2014, 07:38 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Choreo
Had mine replaced on my 2001 three times so far over the years from flying rocks. Do insist on the OEM HUD glass (from a Dealership) or you may have to start all over again like I did my first time when they tried to pass off a non-OEM HUD glass on me. When they installed non-OEM the first time, I was seeing double for about a mile before I turned around and had them reorder one from the dealership. Some people report that their non-HUD glass replacements work fine - maybe so, but not for me. My insurance had $150 deductible but in every case the glass installer absorbed the deductible. You will be surprised how good it feels to get new glass installed - you don't realize how pitted these windshields get after just a few weeks until you get a new one installed!
Thanks. From what I've read on other threads and on-line research, most dealerships outsource windshield repairs anyway, so will a company like Safelite use OEM Hud windshields? Even if I specifically request a GM OEM windshield, how do I know they don't try to sell me an OEM-like replacement?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I just spoke with my adjuster and he told me I can work with whoever I want on the windshield repair/replacement and that I'm completely covered as my Florida policy also covers my $500 deductable.

Next question...Any recommendations? If I replace the windshield, I definitely want an OEM GM HUD windshield. Since most dealerships outsource this type of work anyway, should I work through a dealer or go direct? If direct, any vendor recommendations or warnings based on forum member experience? I performed a quick Google search under windshield repair and came up with Safelite, Glass Doctor, and some local/regional automotive glass repair shops.

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 PM
MLC_LS1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice interior OP! Where'd you get that package, I want the exact same thing!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Stomp'N'Go
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, how much stuff has to be replaced with a windshield? Looking at mine and it looks pretty complicated on the vert

Last edited by Stomp'N'Go; 11-25-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosis
You'd have an impossible time making a case for fraud when he has damaged glass. Stop being so trollish
That's not being a troll. You suggested he hit his windshield with a hammer to make sure to get a new windshield instead of getting his fixed. If enough people share your attitude and actions, rates go up for everyone. Your suggestion to further damage the glass was disgraceful and shows your true character.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:17 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stomp'N'Go
So, how much stuff has to be replaced with a windshield? Looking at mine and it looks pretty complicated on the vert
That's what I'm trying to find out. Besides the actual windshield, I would think the seal and exterior trim. Not sure about how they re-attach the rear view mirror, etc.

I will start making the calls, however I would like to arm myself with as much information and C5-specific questions beforehand so I'm hoping more members who have had this work done can share their advice.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:34 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Man, you are lucky. I got a chip on the way to work and by the time I got to the office, it was split pillar to pillar. New glass was $225 installed with antenna.

<edit> I went to MS Glass here in town, I have used them for repairs and replacements for years. I would never take a glass issue to the dealer.

Last edited by 66dts-v; 11-25-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
Man, you are lucky. I got a chip on the way to work and by the time I got to the office, it was split pillar to pillar. New glass was $225 installed with antenna.

<edit> I went to MS Glass here in town, I have used them for repairs and replacements for years. I would never take a glass issue to the dealer.
Thanks. Did they replace yours with OEM GM windshield? Did they need to install new trim in addition to the new seal? Mine is already starting to spread. It started as a deep chip and now there are 3 big spider cracks about 10" long.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks. From what I've read on other threads and on-line research, most dealerships outsource windshield repairs anyway, so will a company like Safelite use OEM Hud windshields? Even if I specifically request a GM OEM windshield, how do I know they don't try to sell me an OEM-like replacement?
The first time I had to replace mine, I went online to find a local installer and found a windshield repair specialty service (not Safelite, but similar). Since they specialized in windshield repair (and it was my first time) I just assumed they would know what to use. Unfortunately, they used a replacement glass (from Mexico) which was an exact fit, but hundreds of dollars cheaper to them. Had I not had a HUD, I never would have noticed. As I drove off, I could see that the HUD was almost unreadable, so I looped back around to show them the problem. They agreed something was not right and reordered a HUD unit - unfortunately this was from the same Mexico glass source since it was half the price to them over the GM glass and that is where most of their profit was. Again, not knowing any better (or what they had reordered), I had them reinstall the replacement glass when it came in, but the HUD still was a double image (even though the glass did say HUD on it). After I threw a mild fit, they ordered a second replacement from the local Chevy Dealership down the street (I went down to the Dealership to confirm). When it came in they reinstalled again and everything looked sharp on the HUD again (all ready to become a suitable target for the next rock!)

A couple years later caught another rock, but this time I went to a local Body Shop and told them to use only GM ordered glass from the Dealership. They of course subcontracted the work out, but the complied with my request and worked first time.

A couple years later same sequence as stated in the previous paragraph and no issues.

I do not know if they replaced the trim as I was never there during the operations, but everything always looked 100%. Only thing I noticed once was when they had some trouble transferring the License and State Inspection stickers.

I don't know for sure, but I would "guess" that franchises like Safelite use their own glass sources, which may be just fine - as long as they guarantee the outcome.

Last edited by Choreo; 11-25-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:35 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Choreo
The first time I had to replace mine, I went online to find a local installer and found a windshield repair specialty service (not Safelite, but similar). Since they specialized in windshield repair (and it was my first time) I just assumed they would know what to use. Unfortunately, they used a replacement glass (from Mexico) which was an exact fit, but hundreds of dollars cheaper to them. Had I not had a HUD, I never would have noticed. As I drove off, I could see that the HUD was almost unreadable, so I looped back around to show them the problem. They agreed something was not right and reordered a HUD unit - unfortunately this was from the same Mexico glass source since it was half the price to them over the GM glass and that is where most of their profit was. Again, not knowing any better (or what they had reordered), I had them reinstall the replacement glass when it came in, but the HUD still was a double image (even though the glass did say HUD on it). After I threw a mild fit, they ordered a second replacement from the local Chevy Dealership down the street (I went down to the Dealership to confirm). When it came in they reinstalled again and everything looked sharp on the HUD again (all ready to become a suitable target for the next rock!) A couple years later caught another rock, but this time I went to a local Body Shop and told them to use only GM ordered glass from the Dealership. They of course subcontracted the work out, but the complied with my request and worked first time. A couple years later same sequence as stated in the previous paragraph and no issues. I do not know if they replaced the trim as I was never there during the operations, but everything always looked 100%. Only thing I noticed once was when they had some trouble transferring the License and State Inspection stickers. I don't know for sure, but I would "guess" that franchises like Safelite use their own glass sources, which may be just fine - as long as they guarantee the outcome.
Thanks for the information. Your first scenario is what I want to avoid. That's why I'm thinking of starting with a dealer who will probably outsource the work, but since it's on their paper should be able to guarantee the service and OEM GM HUD windshield and other parts. Any issues with leaks or seals after any of the installs? Also, do they reuse the rear view mirror mount or is that part of the new windshield?

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-26-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MLC_LS1
Nice interior OP! Where'd you get that package, I want the exact same thing!
The seat covers and other leather trim pieces were provided by Vette Essentials. Good stuff!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Any issues with leaks or seals after any of the installs? Also, do they reuse the rear view mirror mount or is that part of the new windshield?
I have never experienced any leaks or problems with seals. The rear view mirror mounts always came attached to the new windshields (except the 3rd-party ones from Mexico).

It is recommended that you wait for at least an hour after installation before driving the car (for the rear hatch glass on the coupe it needs to sit 2-3 days - been there, done that too!).

Quick Reply: It's Always Something...