2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default It's Always Something...

I just finished my annual full detail over last two weekends in prep for my Florida winter top-down driving season. The vert looks great, clean and mean.

I drove up to the Ultimate Corvette Show yesterday with a caravan of 12 club members from Sarasota to Plant City. On the way there, my windshield caught a rock which resulted in a nasty chip about the size of a dime smack dab in the middle of the windshield.

Calling Adam at NCM tomorrow to discuss repair options.

I guess I should consider myself lucky as once we got on I4 heading east to Plant City, we saw four wrecks in 10 miles. The FHP had a busy day!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I just finished my annual full detail over last two weekends in prep for my Florida winter top-down driving season. The vert looks great, clean and mean.

I drove up to the Ultimate Corvette Show yesterday with a caravan of 12 club members from Sarasota to Plant City. On the way there, my windshield caught a rock which resulted in a nasty chip about the size of a dime smack dab in the middle of the windshield.

I guess I should consider myself lucky as once we got on I4 heading east to Plant City, we saw four wrecks in 10 miles. The FHP had a busy day!
Rock chips should be covered with no deductible...
Good luck
Old 11-23-2014, 01:00 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

rolled down my drivers side window yesterday and I hear a cracking noise while its going down . Rolled it back up no noise , rolled it back down same noise. good luck with the window, I have NCM .

Last edited by oldC5; 11-23-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:39 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Flying rocks here in AZ are pretty common. Not enough rain to wash them off the roads. I have a few of those little chips in mine too but not really bad enough to replace yet. Good luck with your fix or replacement, which ever you decide to go with.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

There will always be that one thing.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck with the windshield fix. Let us know how it goes. I too have the NCM for insurance but have not filed any claim against the policy. Be interesting to see how it is handled.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:21 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Thanks guys. This is what I get for feeling so proud of myself after performing the full wheels off detail a few weeks ago.

Below are a couple of pics I just snapped inside the garage. The rock really took a chunk out of the windshield, however I was going about 70 MPH (I75 speed limit) at the time.

I had a smaller, fingernail size chip repaired about 6 years ago. Although small, it's right in my HUD line of site and the resin fix looks like a permanent bug splat. Do you think this is repairable or would this require a new windshield? I don't want a quarter-size clear bug splat on my windshield.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In FL windshield repair/replacement is no deductible. Get it fixed right!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:48 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
In FL windshield repair/replacement is no deductible. Get it fixed right!
Thanks. Is it my option to repair or replace? If I choose to replace, does that include the cost of the new seal/trim? Also, do they reuse the mirror mount or does that need to be replaced?

When I repaired a chip on my daily driver a few years ago, the install technician from Safelite told me it was my choice, however since the chip was so small, I just had it filled. This one is a lot bigger and being in the center of the windshield more noticable.

I know my insurance will have the answers, I just want to make sure I'm educated on my options going in.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

It wont cost you a dime either way. You can get it repaired and likely only notice it if you look for it or you can grab a BFH and make the chip a break and get a new windshield. Just remember its got to be OEM because of the HUD.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Is it my option to repair or replace? If I choose to replace, does that include the cost of the new seal/trim? Also, do they reuse the mirror mount or does that need to be replaced?

When I repaired a chip on my daily driver a few years ago, the install technician from Safelite told me it was my choice, however since the chip was so small, I just had it filled. This one is a lot bigger and being in the center of the windshield more noticable.

I know my insurance will have the answers, I just want to make sure I'm educated on my options going in.
I had my rear glass and front glass replaced, no deductibles. Front glass wasn't cracked but had tons of small chips from what seemed like sand blasting that turned into sparkles under the right lighting conditions. a phone call to the insurance company with this explanation and it was replaced. Nobody even came to inspect it. If it's replaced, they will cover all the seals, sealant etc needed to complete the job.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:14 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
I had my rear glass and front glass replaced, no deductibles. Front glass wasn't cracked but had tons of small chips from what seemed like sand blasting that turned into sparkles under the right lighting conditions. a phone call to the insurance company with this explanation and it was replaced. Nobody even came to inspect it. If it's replaced, they will cover all the seals, sealant etc needed to complete the job.
That's good to know. We all talk about paint care, polish, protection, etc. but the windshield and other automotive glass are subject to the same conditions as our paint finish.

Although my C5 doesn't have those windshield sparkles, my daily driver with over 200K miles had a similar chipped appearance. Florida has great weather, but what a lot of people don't realize is that driving at highway speed on a regular basis, you are literally sand-blasting your car due to the sand bed being kicked up and blowing over the peninsula. You can't see it, but over time it really wears down the paint on your front bumper, hood and side mirrors as well as your windshield.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:19 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Amen to that...and you're lucky if it's only one thing!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosis
It wont cost you a dime either way. You can get it repaired and likely only notice it if you look for it or you can grab a BFH and make the chip a break and get a new windshield. Just remember its got to be OEM because of the HUD.
Promoting insurance fraud?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Amen to that...and you're lucky if it's only one thing!
The thing is, I just finished a series of mods and upgrades and had followed up with an extensive detail in preparation for the nice top-down driving weather. I was looking forward to a nice period of just driving and enjoying the car instead of working on it. Now I need to coordinate a windshield repair/replacement right in the middle of the holidays.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:06 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

The thing is, I just finished a series of mods and upgrades and had followed up with an extensive detail in preparation for the nice top-down driving weather. I was looking forward to a nice period of just driving and enjoying the car instead of working on it. Now I need to coordinate a windshield repair/replacement right in the middle of the holidays.
Been there...

Three years ago I caught a piece of metal kicked up by a truck in the windshield of one of my collector Oldsmobiles on the way back from a show. Nasty chip in the windshield, driver's side naturally.

Spend almost a year looking for an OEM windshield with the right markings, date codes, etc. No go. Even worked with a place on the East coast that finds unobtanium glass for all kinds of rare, high dollar cars. Still no go.

So...my choice was aftermarket or live with the rock chip (and it's a beauty, let me tell ya - see pic). Decided to live with the chip, at least for now. Can't stand the thought of losing the originality (car is 100% factory except for battery and shocks).

There is the VERY slight chance I could find a used windshield, but that is a needle in a haystack. Also, the moldings around the windshield are unobtanium, so even if I find a correct windshield, I doubt I will ever find the correct moldings.

Friggin' pisses me off, let me tell ya...
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2014, 02:29 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Ouch. That sucks to have a chip like that on a classic car. If they replace my windshield, I will insist on an OEM C5 HUD windshield because although my car is 10 years old, it's still basically new from a miles perspective and the car is spotless.

Can you apply the same X-pel or clear bra material to a windshield that they apply to the bumpers, etc.? Not sure if that would work, however it would be nice to have something that prevents this type of random damage. We had over 12 cars in the convoy heading to the show and I was the lottery winner!

Get notified of new replies

To It's Always Something...

Old 11-24-2014, 02:37 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Flying rocks here in AZ are pretty common. Not enough rain to wash them off the roads. I have a few of those little chips in mine too but not really bad enough to replace yet. Good luck with your fix or replacement, which ever you decide to go with.
I replaced mine last month because of the pitting and a couple of chips - - -Safelight used Nelson Glass from Mesa--did a great job.

And of course last week, got a small chip from a rock off a landscaper's trailer on the Beeline . . . never fails.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Had mine replaced on my 2001 three times so far over the years from flying rocks. Do insist on the OEM HUD glass (from a Dealership) or you may have to start all over again like I did my first time when they tried to pass off a non-OEM HUD glass on me. When they installed non-OEM the first time, I was seeing double for about a mile before I turned around and had them reorder one from the dealership.

Some people report that their non-HUD glass replacements work fine - maybe so, but not for me.

My insurance had $150 deductible but in every case the glass installer absorbed the deductible.

You will be surprised how good it feels to get new glass installed - you don't realize how pitted these windshields get after just a few weeks until you get a new one installed!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
Promoting insurance fraud?
You'd have an impossible time making a case for fraud when he has damaged glass. Stop being so trollish

Quick Reply: It's Always Something...