Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How about a night on the town? Hopefully in the Vette. Dinner at a very nice place.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:41 PM
bad man Barry White
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Track day even in the future would be awesome.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Givemeaboost
...The engine has blown twice. Just had it rebuilt again recently. I wish I knew enough about what happened to know how to keep it from happening again...
Blowing an engine is just not common in cars not used frequently on the track. Its likely to happen again if its happened twice because its either poorly built, poorly maintained or its limits are poorly understood.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Crosis
Blowing an engine is just not common in cars not used frequently on the track. Its likely to happen again if its happened twice because its either poorly built, poorly maintained or its limits are poorly understood.
I know he maintains it well. I also know he pushes it to it's limits at times. Personally, I think the guy who rebuilt it last time did a shotty job and just didn't want to admit he messed up. Not good.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by bad man Barry White
Track day even in the future would be awesome.
Thanks. So I guess this is the popular choice. Lol. I just hate giving him something he'll have to wait a year to use. Sounds like it might be worth it though.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 AM
hoosiervette
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

A go pro camera for videoing when he is pushing it hard.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by hoosiervette
A go pro camera for videoing when he is pushing it hard.
Oooo... that's a great idea! He could use that on his motorcycles too.
Thanks.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Get him a cooling fan mod kit, it allows U to turn on radiator fan wireless with a remote key FOB. Good for cooling vette when idling at redlights or parades in hot summer heat. I just installed one 100.00 from SacCityCorvette. Also there are some real cool looking C5 Corvette hats on EBAY. I plan on getting one. Where in SC are U, I am from S.C. about 15 miles from Clemson S.C.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Get him a cooling fan mod kit, it allows U to turn on radiator fan wireless with a remote key FOB. Good for cooling vette when idling at redlights or parades in hot summer heat. I just installed one 100.00 from SacCityCorvette. Also there are some real cool looking C5 Corvette hats on EBAY. I plan on getting one. Where in SC are U, I am from S.C. about 15 miles from Clemson S.C.
Oh yeah? So, this might sound dumb but what benefits does that have? I'm interested, just wanted to make sure I have all the facts, you know? & he does love a good hat, I'll check them out. Thanks.
I'm from Greenville, so not far from Clemson at all.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:52 AM
VmaxFlyer
Instructor

Call a photographer and do a spread over the hood like Tawny Kitaen did in a Whitesnake video. We would be glad to look @ the proofs.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by VmaxFlyer
Call a photographer and do a spread over the hood like Tawny Kitaen did in a Whitesnake video. We would be glad to look @ the proofs.
Haha. Seriously considered a photo shoot with the car, but man it is so cold outside. Lol.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:06 AM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife says the same thing about me. All the stuff she can afford I just go out and buy.

I tend to not buy the little stuff as much any more and drop hints about what
I want but don't want to spend money on cause I am saving for something more expensive.

I actually give her a list each year.

------------------------------------------

6 qts of oil, an oil filter, bottle of techron, towels, wax, wash mitt, soap and a clay bar are great.

I love getting those from family cause I don't have to buy them.
It also shows you pay attention to what he is into.

Be careful with very custom pieces like that carbon fiber dash.
I really, really hate it when I get a part that I dont want that messes up other plans.
If he wants a double din, or wants those nitrous switches where they are he will be sad for
a long time and have to use the part he doesn't want to be nice.

I knew a guy who's girl got him these sick wheels for his Honda. They were the style he wanted.
But they were 15's. He wanted 18's. I felt so bad for the guy. He loved her, and had to keep those
wheels cause she spent so much on them. But he hated those wheels and hated the way they looked.

She did not know the difference.

-------------------------

I like summit racing. But every car guy likes a different place.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
My wife says the same thing about me. All the stuff she can afford I just go out and buy.

I tend to not buy the little stuff as much any more and drop hints about what
I want but don't want to spend money on cause I am saving for something more expensive.

I actually give her a list each year.

------------------------------------------

6 qts of oil, an oil filter, bottle of techron, towels, wax, wash mitt, soap and a clay bar are great.

I love getting those from family cause I don't have to buy them.
It also shows you pay attention to what he is into.

Be careful with very custom pieces like that carbon fiber dash.
I really, really hate it when I get a part that I dont want that messes up other plans.
If he wants a double din, or wants those nitrous switches where they are he will be sad for
a long time and have to use the part he doesn't want to be nice.

I knew a guy who's girl got him these sick wheels for his Honda. They were the style he wanted.
But they were 15's. He wanted 18's. I felt so bad for the guy. He loved her, and had to keep those
wheels cause she spent so much on them. But he hated those wheels and hated the way they looked.

She did not know the difference.

-------------------------

I like summit racing. But every car guy likes a different place.
Thank you! I know, I'm seriously trying to be sure I don't get him something he will feel "stuck" with. I pay attention to detail, but I feel like I am forgetful, possibly because it's hard for me to remember random car parts...maybe I should start taking notes. Lol. I really do want to learn though. That is a great idea about the oil and stuff, I actually may get those. I feel like he mentions rotella regularly, is that a good oil for a corvette?
I feel like he would really appreciate the little things, because that's the kind of guy he is.
Funny, relevant story... so I spend copious amounts of time trying to pick out a tshirt to give him as a just because gift. I finally decide on one that I think he will love. So the day after I order it, we are laying around and completely randomly get on the subject of people giving gifts. I never said anything about getting him anything. He says "I hate it when people buy me stuff like shirts that I will never ever wear, get me a gift card for food instead" So I get the shirt in the mail 3 days later & wind up keeping it for 2 months because I'm terrified to give it to him. When I finally did, he loved it and still tells me it's his favorite shirt, but needless to say I use extreme caution when buying anything now. Haha.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:31 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

I guess we need to know if he is performance driven or a show guy.
I figured since he has a super charger he is more about go.

I would have no interest in carbon fiber on the inside of my car.
but some guys are saving there money to dress up the inside.

If you are more into buying clothes and he is a racer, fire suite, racing shoes, driving gloves are
all very nice and actually on my Christmas lists. I have everything I mentioned in the first post.
Good point made on CF
Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Good point made on CF
This is what I know about his car. He has an F1R ProCharger Supercharger, Ram clutch, I think he's got a borla exhaust and I'm pretty sure he's already got a short shifter. Anything that makes it go.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:02 AM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Please do not use Rotella in an LS engine without knowing why your using it.

Mobile 1.

Look around the garage and see if you can find a qt of what he is using.
I run 15w-50, but this forum will hate that, its not good for most cars.

Don't go off focus guys... you can PM me and complain about my oil. I picked it for a reason.

5-30 to 10-40 is safer and what GM says to use.
I'm sure some will chime in with the exact factory oil.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 AM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Please do not use Rotella in an LS engine without knowing why your using it.

Mobile 1.

Look around the garage and see if you can find a qt of what he is using.
I run 15w-50, but this forum will hate that, its not good for most cars.

Don't go off focus guys... you can PM me and complain about my oil. I picked it for a reason.

5-30 to 10-40 is safer and what GM says to use.
I'm sure some will chime in with the exact factory oil.
Ahh. Thank you! Maybe he uses Rotella in another one of his cars. 10-40 sounds like what I've seen him get in the past. I will definitely do some looking. He's got a couple cars, trucks and motorcycles, so I have to determine what's what. It shouldn't be difficult though , he stays pretty organized.

Get notified of new replies

To What to buy??

Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Under $400 gift

The track day organizations are just now setting their 2015 schedules, so I can't imagine any of them would put you off until September. Go to hookedondriving.com and look for the Southeast region. The franchise owner is Dave Auer. His home track is Roebling road, near Savannah, so f you are a Charleston native, that would be a good place. The mid state would be CMP, look up TURNONE. They have one day programs at Carolina Motorsports PArk. Then if you are upstate, then Road Atlanta would be a good choice. Hooked on driving usually does a one day event there in Mid Feb.

A one day event should run you $250-300 Both HOD and Turnone have helmets to rent, and they will assign an instructor for first-timers.

THere are lots of good HPDE organizations, I just listed 2. TRACKDAZE is really great, Chin, and of Course the National Corvette Museum has an event every year at Virginia International Racetrack (VIR). The Museum just opened a new track and I drove the first four days of HPDE and it is going to be a great track. It is a long drive though.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Givemeaboost
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by k24556
The track day organizations are just now setting their 2015 schedules, so I can't imagine any of them would put you off until September. Go to hookedondriving.com and look for the Southeast region. The franchise owner is Dave Auer. His home track is Roebling road, near Savannah, so f you are a Charleston native, that would be a good place. The mid state would be CMP, look up TURNONE. They have one day programs at Carolina Motorsports PArk. Then if you are upstate, then Road Atlanta would be a good choice. Hooked on driving usually does a one day event there in Mid Feb.

A one day event should run you $250-300 Both HOD and Turnone have helmets to rent, and they will assign an instructor for first-timers.

THere are lots of good HPDE organizations, I just listed 2. TRACKDAZE is really great, Chin, and of Course the National Corvette Museum has an event every year at Virginia International Racetrack (VIR). The Museum just opened a new track and I drove the first four days of HPDE and it is going to be a great track. It is a long drive though.
Awesome! Thank you so much! I'm going to check those out right now.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:03 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Givemeaboost
Oh yeah? So, this might sound dumb but what benefits does that have? I'm interested, just wanted to make sure I have all the facts, you know? & he does love a good hat, I'll check them out. Thanks.
I'm from Greenville, so not far from Clemson at all.
Radiator cooling fan doesn't come on unless ac is on or temps reach 235 degrees. This item allows u to turn fan onwith a push of a button to keep engine cool while at long redlights, or extended iddling. Vets normally run at high temps anyway, this allows u to control temps.

Quick Reply: What to buy??