Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Low Oil Level" light came on = Oil Pressure fluctuations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Low Oil Level" light came on = Oil Pressure fluctuations?

So my low oil light came on the other day, I checked the oil, it looked fine - just under halfway on the 01+ dipstick. Checked it after a ride home and waited 15min before checking. It was just below max after sitting for at work for 8 hours.

This morning light came back on, oil pressure higher than normal. Checked after work after 15 min again after getting temp to about 170 showed around the bottom hashes of of the dip stick. Put in half a quart I then it looked to be half way. Drove home, noticed oil still fluctuating from 35psi at idle (low) and 61 around 5k rpm in 2nd. Parked it at home after the oil temp reached 190 waited 15 (more likely 16 this time) now it's showing higher than earlier but no longer half way.

This dipstick is new to me so it's a learning process. Liht hasnt been back on since I added and when it came on and I reset it it never repopulated for that ride. Just curious as to if I should add more or not and of the pressure flucautions are normal.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pressures are excellent, no worries. As for the check oil light, it's likely the wires leading to the oil level sensor are shorting somewhere. In my case, my longtubes melted them so I had to be sure to route the wires away from the headers during the repair.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

I thought about the shortage but I do think it is likely properly triggered, I just can't find out how to read the dipstick and for some reason I always get a residual line from pulling it out.

Is it supposed to be half way or at max? How many quarts does the total hashmark area represent?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your level is within the hash marks it definitely shouldn't be triggered. Not 100%sure on hash marks, but 7 quarts in mine reads right at the top of the hashes. My low oil level light will set when the level is about a quart below the hash marks if that makes sense
Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Matt.S
Instructor

So the hash line consists of 1 quart? Does Chevy want it half way or both dots to be filled (low and max)?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:49 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Matt.S
So the hash line consists of 1 quart? Does Chevy want it half way or both dots to be filled (low and max)?
Not sure, but I keep it maxed.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

It should be at the top dot, and yes, the hashed area represents one quart. It should take 6-1/2 quarts to fill. It's possible you're just seeing the results of oil sloshing within the pan. It happens to me every time I head out to the local lake, and always at the same place.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:30 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Could it be the oil pressure sending unit is going bad, like I hear about so much here on the forum?
Old 11-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by WetteVette
Could it be the oil pressure sending unit is going bad, like I hear about so much here on the forum?
The oil pressure sensor wouldn't trigger a low oil level reading on the oil level sensor. They are two separate parts.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Matt.S
Instructor

Okay well I guess I'm gonna pour the rest of the quart since half only got it half way. The oil light hasn't been on since but I started it this afternoon in 40 degree weather (just a note, it's been colder and the oil pressure has been lower) car sat at around 60psi until warm then fluctuated from 35psi (lowest at idle) though avg idle was 40-45psi; highest was 64 psi near redline. I'm assuming these are normal pressures?
Old 11-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Okay well I guess I'm gonna pour the rest of the quart since half only got it half way. The oil light hasn't been on since but I started it this afternoon in 40 degree weather (just a note, it's been colder and the oil pressure has been lower) car sat at around 60psi until warm then fluctuated from 35psi (lowest at idle) though avg idle was 40-45psi; highest was 64 psi near redline. I'm assuming these are normal pressures?
Those pressures seem normal to me. I'm seeing similar in my car.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I know it sounds crazy, but dodnt worry about a little bit extra oil in this engine. a half quart over the hash marks is fine, you re not hurting anything.

Get notified of new replies

To "Low Oil Level" light came on = Oil Pressure fluctuations?

Quick Reply: "Low Oil Level" light came on = Oil Pressure fluctuations?