02, Fuel Gauge just went to 0

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 04:21 AM
sparcnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02, Fuel Gauge just went to 0

Guys,
Just had an incident today while on a cruise in my 02.
Going for a weekend away with the wife, distance about 170kms, half way through the drive my dash came up with "check gage, a check check and found my fuel gauge had gone from just over half to zero, also the "low fuel" message was up.
When I got to the destination, turned the car off, turned the key back on, fuel gauge sweeped to full scale then back to zero, so guessing the gauge is okay.
So, before going too far into this, can someone who has hopefully had this problem please advise what I best do?
I am hoping it's an easy fix.
Regards Kevin.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:09 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Add a bottle of TECHRON to the gas tank.More will chime in with better info.This is a common problem with some of the C5s.GL
Fred
Old 11-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree - run the Techron through your next couple of tanks of gas and see if the gauge works again. Sulfur deposits tend to appear on the sending units and cause the gauge to malfunction. Techron can clean the deposits off in many cases.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:03 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

It might take more than a couple of tanks. Mine started working again after four months of Techron and a change to Shell V-power premium.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:21 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by memmer
Add a bottle of TECHRON to the gas tank.More will chime in with better info.This is a common problem with some of the C5s.GL
Fred
My 02 did this about once a year the past 3 years, usually in the spring after not driving it much over the winter. Usually will reset when I start the car. A couple bottles of Techron does the trick for me.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:39 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Old 11-28-2014, 11:06 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
^ This

See if you have any P0461 and P1431 codes. If so, clear them.

See if the guage starts working after clearing the codes. Note: This will only work temporarily. Still need to run the Techron through the tank a couple of times. Usually the fuel level sensor in the tank has sulpher deposits on it. Common problem (as others indicated) with these Corvettes and the cheap quality gas we get now a days.

Also may want to clean throttle body. Ethanol creates build up on the Throttle Body.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:28 AM
sparcnz
Instructor

Thanks for the replies guys.
Sorry but no codes came up on the dash.
However today the fuel gauge started working again while I was driving. I also filled the tank up and it went to full. I will look at the throttle body and give it a clean, won't hurt it.
As for Tectron, can't say I have seen it here in New Zealand, but will ask and if I can get it put it in a couple or so tanks of fuel.

Regards Kevin.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Just to make sure, you used the DIC buttons to look for codes correct? They don't just show up like the other display messages.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:10 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sparcnz
Thanks for the replies guys.
Sorry but no codes came up on the dash.
However today the fuel gauge started working again while I was driving. I also filled the tank up and it went to full. I will look at the throttle body and give it a clean, won't hurt it.
As for Tectron, can't say I have seen it here in New Zealand, but will ask and if I can get it put it in a couple or so tanks of fuel.

Regards Kevin.
If they don't have Techron, try to use the best fuel available.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:19 AM
BKH
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Just to make sure, you used the DIC buttons to look for codes correct? They don't just show up like the other display messages.
This ^. You have to manually pull the codes then clear to get the gauge working again. I throw a bottle of techron in mine every 3-4 tanks and it hasn't done it in a while.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:48 PM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

When my 99 did this it turned out to be a weak battery. Do a search on testing you battery.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:33 PM
sparcnz
Instructor

Again, thanks for all the information.
I did a search on Techron, and found that it is in the fuel I purchase from Caltex (down here).
I will still look and see if I can buy the additive for the tank, it won't hurt.
I don't believe it's my battery, as I only replaced this about 2 months ago, after the old original battery died.
I have not checked my codes yet, just found a YouTube video on how to find them.

Regards Kevin.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:08 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Again, thanks for all the information.
I did a search on Techron, and found that it is in the fuel I purchase from Caltex (down here).
I will still look and see if I can buy the additive for the tank, it won't hurt.
I don't believe it's my battery, as I only replaced this about 2 months ago, after the old original battery died.
I have not checked my codes yet, just found a YouTube video on how to find them.

Regards Kevin.
When my gauge started acting up, I pulled the codes and there weren't any. You may not have any codes either. If so, besides changing fuel sender, Techron and better gas may be the only solution. I drove 4000 miles before the gauge started working again.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:26 PM
JayTee72
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys,
Just had an incident today while on a cruise in my 02.
Going for a weekend away with the wife, distance about 170kms, half way through the drive my dash came up with "check gage, a check check and found my fuel gauge had gone from just over half to zero, also the "low fuel" message was up.
When I got to the destination, turned the car off, turned the key back on, fuel gauge sweeped to full scale then back to zero, so guessing the gauge is okay.
So, before going too far into this, can someone who has hopefully had this problem please advise what I best do?
I am hoping it's an easy fix.
Regards Kevin.

Hi, this is a common problem with c5s, including my 99....

Here is a link to another thread on the forum where this subject is extensively discussed. It seems there may be more than 1 solution to the same problem, and different things work for some, and DON'T work for others....... I have a few posts on it as well....

Good Luck...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-to-0-a.html

Get notified of new replies

To 02, Fuel Gauge just went to 0

Quick Reply: 02, Fuel Gauge just went to 0