Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning: Guys, check those brake lines

Old 12-18-2014, 02:36 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyo4
I was in the same position as you about 6-8 months ago. My rear passenger side line rusted and had a hair line crack on the bend. I went to a dozen shops and all wanted a ton of money to do the lines and some shops said no because of the tight spaces. NO ONE MAKES STOCK fitment replacements.

After talking to shops and doing some research I went to napa auto store and bought two lines that were bubble flares and two adapters for then I cut them down to fit correctly. To be honest, it wasn't a bad job. I'm not a mechanic either.

Take off the lines and take them to napa for the same gauge lines and couplings. The workers should be able to help you out.

The toughest part is bending them yourself to match the existing. Note: make sure you done over bend or have the lines resting on any metal or axles where it can rub and wear away the new lines.

Let me know if you have questions.
Tom, I scanned this picture from the parts catalog. I have the lines I need circled. The arrows are pointing to where the rusted out areas are. I dunno if NAPA has tubing that long ?
As for bending the tubes ? I got access to several different size tube benders at work so that's not an issue !

Last edited by SG Lou; 12-18-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:49 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Here's another thing I was pondering...bare with me on this.
I wonder how close a fit C6 tubing would be? I heard it said that the chassis and running gear on a C6 is almost identical to a C5....emphasize the word ALMOST

NEVER MIND...Just looked. Totally different !

Take notice...C6 lines look to be sleeved or coated.

Last edited by SG Lou; 12-18-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:14 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
And millions of cars with brake lines of the same material are constantly driven wet.
I'm wondering if the problem is more one of humid storage conditions on rarely-driven cars, especially in road-salt states.
Bingo! More than likely, there's your culprit.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:27 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Bingo! More than likely, there's your culprit.
Another reason to put a vapor barrier down under the car before putting it away. The car with the rusted lines was probably driven in winter sometime in it's past.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:48 PM
tommyo4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Tom, I scanned this picture from the parts catalog. I have the lines I need circled. The arrows are pointing to where the rusted out areas are. I dunno if NAPA has tubing that long ?
As for bending the tubes ? I got access to several different size tube benders at work so that's not an issue !
I may be mistaken, are your lines rusted from the front to back or from the two separate rear lines from ebm to each caliper? My repair was ebm to the calipers.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:41 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
This is a problem on GM trucks as well. They use cheap steel lines. There are companys that make SS replacement kits for the trucks. They cost less than the junk from GM. Maybe they make them for C5s. There may be a recall on the trucks as there have been many wrecks because of them. Most Vettes don't go out in the rain so not as big a problem.
Was under the C5 recently - no issues, thank goodness, but I have had two failures due to rust on my Chev K1500. Both times somewhere in the rear line let go - rusted clear through. Still had the front brakes so it would stop - although it was unnerving!

The last time I had all the lines replaced by my local guy. He has a roll of brake line material in his shop and all the fittings.

Also had the fuel lines rust out on that truck, found that when I had to have a new fuel pump and the line just disintegrated as the fittings were undone.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:44 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Was under the C5 recently - no issues, thank goodness, but I have had two failures due to rust on my Chev K1500. Both times somewhere in the rear line let go - rusted clear through. Still had the front brakes so it would stop - although it was unnerving!

The last time I had all the lines replaced by my local guy. He has a roll of brake line material in his shop and all the fittings.

Also had the fuel lines rust out on that truck, found that when I had to have a new fuel pump and the line just disintegrated as the fittings were undone.
Hopefully, someday stainless lines will be mandatory on all new cars.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by jackthelad

Lose enough brake fluid through those rusted lines and you wouldn't have had front brakes either. Then your e-brake would be the only thing that would stop you.

Last edited by thisMSGgood4me; 12-18-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Cutting and splicing brake lines together is illegal in some states and many mechanics and brake shops won't do it, for safety reasons. Better to replace the entire line.
But best of luck finding someone to fabricate the lines for you.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:04 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
And millions of cars with brake lines of the same material are constantly driven wet.
I'm wondering if the problem is more one of humid storage conditions on rarely-driven cars, especially in road-salt states.
That would not explain why its such a problem on trucks.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

My C5 is on the hoist now so I looked at it and there is no rust. I have the tools to make the lines if I need them. Another problem is brake fluid attracts moisture. So if you don't flush the system including the ABS they will rust from the inside out. Rust is what makes the fluid brown. I have Autoenginuity that will do the ABS flush procedure. I flush all our vehicles once a year. I have never had an ABS or caliper failure on any of them.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
That would not explain why its such a problem on trucks.
Just because the symptoms are the same doesn't mean the root cause is the same.
In the truck's case, maybe mud holding the moisture on the lines?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:48 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I wish I had a place like that close to where I live. I'm NOT going to a Stealership. I can see the Invoice now : $200-parts, $800-Labor
I sent off my c4 ABS unit and lines and it cost $700+ for the new stainless lines...then there was the labor charge at the Chevy place
Old 12-19-2014, 08:53 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tommyo4
I may be mistaken, are your lines rusted from the front to back or from the two separate rear lines from ebm to each caliper? My repair was ebm to the calipers.

Sorry for the confusion.
Both of them Tom...Or should I say all 4 of them. Both left and right lines from EBM to the Unions above the Differential and then from the Unions back to left and right caliper.
So yes, from from the EBM to the Calipers.

I shot off an email to Marc at VetteNuts and he told me he's got a nice, fairly rust free set. Looks like that's the route I'm going to take.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 AM
JayTee72
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

My heart fell into my stomach earlier this evening. I got called in for OT on Wed.Night, knew nothing was going on at work, so I purchased new bulbs for the front directional and marker lights. Right side bulb was burnt out. Put the car up on the lift, pulled the access panels and replaced the bulbs. Co-Worker comes out to the garage to see what i'm up to, turns on his flashlight and starts looking at the underside of the car. Next thing I hear is "Louie, come here" Directing the flashlight beam up over the differential he says, 'Look at those rusted lines" What Lines Jerry ?
"Brake line you moron" So i look at what he's talking about. Where the 2 lines, coming from the ABS unit to the rear, that are threaded together above the Differential are all rusted away. I mean, the right side line is less then 1/2 the diameter of the left one. Panic set in . At first I thought, ok, I can replace the lines from the connections , back. Then I look closer, the other side is just as rusted away. SO now I'm looking at replacing all of the lines, from the ABS unit right back to the calipers on both sides.
If it was just the 2 lines from the fittings back, it would be pretty easy.
But damn......those lines are really tucked up there along side the torque tube. Not to mention what a nightmare it will be to disconnect them from the ABS unit and remove them all the way back !

Has anyone ever had to do this before? I haven't even begun to look online and see if I can get new lines.

One thing I did think about was, being the accessibility is easy I can cut the lines back past the rust, get new fitting and re-flare the ends so I don't have to mess with trying to remove the lines all the way back to the ABS unit .
Good Idea or no ?

Added note : I AM NOT GOING TO SPLICE ANYTHING...It was just a thought !
Thanks for the heads-up big guy.... Just bought my '99 and not sure if previous owner drove a lot in rain (not that THAT 'necessarily' matters). and #2: I'm not a mechanic. I'll check it out next time she's up on a lift, which is coming up soon.

Just curious, what year was yours?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:24 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JayTee72
Thanks for the heads-up big guy.... Just bought my '99 and not sure if previous owner drove a lot in rain (not that THAT 'necessarily' matters). and #2: I'm not a mechanic. I'll check it out next time she's up on a lift, which is coming up soon.

Just curious, what year was yours?
04 Base Coupe
Old 12-20-2014, 01:38 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Guess I should check mine soon too. My car origianally came from Wyoming and then it went to Omaha. Then I bought it and brought it to Arizona. Been here for the last 7+ years now and haven't had any braking issues, knock on wood......Thanks for the heads up.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning: Guys, check those brake lines

Old 12-20-2014, 02:06 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

No brake line problems with my Vette, but I've had rusted brake lines on two Chevy trucks. As a matter of fact, I will be repairing rusted lines on my current S-10 in the near future. Right now I can enhance braking by dropping the plow blade. I'm only using it to plow my driveway so it isn't getting much use anymore which is probably contributing to its rusting. The Vette sits in a dry garage with painted floors which probably helps its not rusting.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:07 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Both of them Tom...Or should I say all 4 of them. Both left and right lines from EBM to the Unions above the Differential and then from the Unions back to left and right caliper.
So yes, from from the EBM to the Calipers.

I shot off an email to Marc at VetteNuts and he told me he's got a nice, fairly rust free set. Looks like that's the route I'm going to take.
FAIRLY rust free? I wouldn't buy used brake lines unless they were COMPLETELY rust free. But that's just me.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:46 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
FAIRLY rust free? I wouldn't buy used brake lines unless they were COMPLETELY rust free. But that's just me.
Oh believe me....i have no intentions of just purchasing them Blindly !

I'm going to ask Marc for pictures first of the rust prone areas.

This was Marc's email to me :

Marc (marc@vettenuts.net)
To: Lou Moritz
marc@vettenuts.net

Yes we have some rust free lines in stock for $185.

Thanks,
Marc

My mistake....he didn't say "Fairly Rust Free"

Last edited by SG Lou; 12-20-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warning: Guys, check those brake lines