Sponsored by:

Warning: Guys, check those brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:38 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
FAIRLY rust free? I wouldn't buy used brake lines unless they were COMPLETELY rust free. But that's just me.
Or buy them as a pattern for a new set os SS lines.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:52 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Anyone have photos of what they consider really bad rusted C5 brake lines?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:15 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
Or buy them as a pattern for a new set os SS lines.
Why buy a rusted set? Why not just use your own brake lines for the pattern?
Old 12-21-2014, 10:20 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I AM NOT BUYING A RUSTED SET...for the love of God...read the posts before jumping to conclusions !

Marc from Vettenuts said they were rust free....I mistakenly wrote "Fairly Rust Free"

As for using my own as a pattern ? The chances of getting them out intact will be tough ...
Old 12-21-2014, 11:59 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like his a so bad they wont survive removal. The patterns need to be good so we can all order from who ever he sends them to. Maybe Vette Nuts could start making them.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:24 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Cutting and splicing brake lines together is illegal in some states and many mechanics and brake shops won't do it, for safety reasons. Better to replace the entire line.

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

DO NOT splice the brake lines.
Been doing some more research and guess what, according to 2 different State Inspectors that I talked to, both say this " flare unions will pass, compression fittings will not When I explained to them what i was thinking of and both of them said it was perfectly safe.
When I replaced the lines on my 03 Silverado, the longest line was actually 2 pieces instead of one long run. Isn't that the same thing ?
If I was to cut back a few inches from the rusted area, re-bubble flare the ends and add a new section to it it shouldn't be a problem.

Reason I'm thinking this is , I'd have to remove the exhaust system, tunnel plate , which I will have to do anyway to cut and splice.If I was to replace the entire run of hard lines I may also have to remove the left header. If I run in to a problem such as a broken exhaust manifold stud or what ever I'd be screwed because I'd be doing all of this work at my place of employment using the lift in the garage, etc, etc. I'd have no means to run out to get parts etc, etc.

Dunno what the hell to do....big job if replacing it all with only less then a 12hr time frame to do it in, without Murphy's Law sticking his nose in !

Last edited by SG Lou; 12-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:33 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by SG Lou
I AM NOT BUYING A RUSTED SET...for the love of God...read the posts before jumping to conclusions !

Marc from Vettenuts said they were rust free....I mistakenly wrote "Fairly Rust Free"

As for using my own as a pattern ? The chances of getting them out intact will be tough ...
I was responding to a comment from duramaxsky, not you, so I wasn't jumping to any conclusions.

Last edited by thisMSGgood4me; 12-21-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:48 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Lose enough brake fluid through those rusted lines and you wouldn't have had front brakes either. Then your e-brake would be the only thing that would stop you.
Separate reservoirs within the master cylinder - the rear brake reservoir was totally dry, front one just fine.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:05 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

I was responding to a comment from duramaxsky, not you, so I wasn't jumping to any conclusions.
Then, I stand corrected and apologize
Old 12-21-2014, 03:09 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Just got done reading my Factory Service Manual for my 04.
Book 1, Brake Section 5, page 5-43. Replacing section of brake hard line acceptable as long as the proper size line and fittings are used.

For the hell of it I stopped into AutoZone by me to check on parts...Counter guy told me the same thing as I read and was told by the inspectors....compression fittings are a no-no and illegal, flare fittings are perfectly acceptable.

If it's good enough for the FSM to state it can be done then it's good enough for me !

Last edited by SG Lou; 12-21-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:16 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Separate reservoirs within the master cylinder - the rear brake reservoir was totally dry, front one just fine.
Good to know...thanks.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:19 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Just got done reading my Factory Service Manual for my 04.
Book 1, Brake Section 5, page 5-43. Replacing section of brake hard line acceptable as long as the proper size line and fittings are used.

For the hell of it I stopped into AutoZone by me to check on parts...Counter guy told me the same thing as I read and was told by the inspectors....compression fittings are a no-no and illegal, flare fittings are perfectly acceptable.

If it's good enough for the FSM to state it can be done then it's good enough for me !
After you've done the repair, let us know how it went.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

We have them rust free in stock for anyone needing them. Not fairly rust free lol. We throw those away.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:38 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Marc@Vettenuts.net
We have them rust free in stock for anyone needing them. Not fairly rust free lol. We throw those away.
I misquoted you Marc....My Bad
Old 12-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Black 00 Coup
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

never never splice lines
Old 12-23-2014, 09:58 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 00 Coup
never never splice lines
What do you think T fittings are that split the rear brake line at the differential into the two lines leading to each wheel? What do you think metering blocks are? What about proportioning valves? They are all the same as a union between the hard lines. Same flares, same flare nuts and they all pass brake fluid through them. They are just splices with a function other than straight through flow. The connection at a union is identical to one at the master cylinder. If a connection at a union can leak or fail so can the one at the master cylinder, proportioning valve, wheel cylinder, etc. Lastly would you consider the transition from hard line to rubber/flex line a splice?
Old 12-23-2014, 11:25 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by norcalace
What do you think T fittings are that split the rear brake line at the differential into the two lines leading to each wheel? What do you think metering blocks are? What about proportioning valves? They are all the same as a union between the hard lines. Same flares, same flare nuts and they all pass brake fluid through them. They are just splices with a function other than straight through flow. The connection at a union is identical to one at the master cylinder. If a connection at a union can leak or fail so can the one at the master cylinder, proportioning valve, wheel cylinder, etc. Lastly would you consider the transition from hard line to rubber/flex line a splice?

Originally Posted by Black 00 Coup
never never splice lines
So I guess the Factory Service Manual is totally wrong.
If that's the case then we shouldn't refer to ANYTHING in the FSM because it's all wrong.

Last edited by SG Lou; 12-23-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning: Guys, check those brake lines

Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

So I got an update for you guys on my car. This past weekend I had to work. Being it was a "Holiday Weekend" I knew no one was going be anywhere near the place, management wise, except us peons. Purchased the stuff I needed from AutoZone and on Saturday morning I had the car on the lift and all 4 wheels and the mufflers removed by 7am. Ready to jump in and start cutting the lines I grab one of them and a crap load of clumped of dirt and grime come off onto my hands.....90% of what I originally thought was rust was actually crap build up on the lines ! So I took a piece of ScotchBrite pad and began to clean up all of the lines. Very Minimal amount of rust was on it. So much so that pitting of the lines was just about non-existent. Man was I relieved. After I blew off everything with compressed air I wiped a generous amount of WD-40 onto them. There is some rust but nothing near what I originally thought. I think I'm safe to drive to the car the way it is until I can get the replacement lines and change them out in the spring or summer. Thanks for all of your help and input !

HAPPY NEW YEAR !
Lou
Old 12-29-2014, 12:12 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

So I got an update for you guys on my car. This past weekend I had to work. Being it was a "Holiday Weekend" I knew no one was going be anywhere near the place, management wise, except us peons. Purchased the stuff I needed from AutoZone and on Saturday morning I had the car on the lift and all 4 wheels and the mufflers removed by 7am. Ready to jump in and start cutting the lines I grab one of them and a crap load of clumped of dirt and grime come off onto my hands.....90% of what I originally thought was rust was actually crap build up on the lines ! So I took a piece of ScotchBrite pad and began to clean up all of the lines. Very Minimal amount of rust was on it. So much so that pitting of the lines was just about non-existent. Man was I relieved. After I blew off everything with compressed air I wiped a generous amount of WD-40 onto them. There is some rust but nothing near what I originally thought. I think I'm safe to drive to the car the way it is until I can get the replacement lines and change them out in the spring or summer. Thanks for all of your help and input !

HAPPY NEW YEAR !
Lou
If it was just surface rust, those lines should last the life of the car.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:03 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Anyone ?in the southwest have a problem?

I grew up in New Jersey and always hated it when it snowed and the salt trucks sprayed their evil corrosive on the roads. I always waited for at least three spring rains before I took my Vette out of the garage. My wife's Honda rusted out from the bottom up! If you replace your brake lines with steel (if SS is not available), coat them with a spray of Zinc Chromate then hose off the underside of your Vette any time it is exposed to road salt. Or move to a better climate!

Quick Reply: Warning: Guys, check those brake lines