Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got put on a GM "export" or "shippers" blacklist - NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:51 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The OP does need to get information from GM as to why his name is on a "blacklist". Given the number of cars he has bought and sold, it's entirely possible that a buy may have exported or tried to export a car without going through some sort of transfer of legal ownership.

If GM chooses to blacklist somebody because they believe (or have proof) that a car was exported against some GM policy, then that is their prerogative. But it's equally correct to find out why the OP was blacklisted in the first place.

This may turn out to be a lawyers v. lawyers deal but in the end, it sounds more like bad information has been picked up by GM. And I'll bet that both Ford and Chrysler have blacklists too.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:02 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Absolutely, they have a legal leg to stand on. It's their product, and they can sell it to whomever they want, or not. As I mentioned before, there's no law requiring them to sell anything to anyone they choose not to. You may not like this (their policy), but that's the way it is, so accept it and don't even think of trying to take them to court, because you would have no legal leg to stand on in the matter. It's just a fact.
Unless the OP is part of a protected group (race, religion, etc.), the company can refuse to sell. I would still formally demand a reason why, and/or get the press involved. Although GM does not seem to care too much about bad publicity these days, otherwise they would not be turning out vehicles that have to be recalled.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:30 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Unless the OP is part of a protected group (race, religion, etc.), the company can refuse to sell. I would still formally demand a reason why, and/or get the press involved. Although GM does not seem to care too much about bad publicity these days, otherwise they would not be turning out vehicles that have to be recalled.
One can always claim such (if such is the case), but it's a different matter proving it was a factor in the decision by GM not to sell. Again, good luck with that.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
One can always claim such (if such is the case), but it's a different matter proving it was a factor in the decision by GM not to sell. Again, good luck with that.
Especially given that, according to the OP, all they had was his name and address.
He's bought 20 new Corvettes in 15 years, hardly a normal car buyer. They may well have a computer algorithm looking for "suspicious" buying patterns that indicate unauthorized reselling.

Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 12-21-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:00 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

It seems that right now no one knows the reason for the blacklist and we are all speculating. There has to be someone from GM who reads these posts. Can we get an answer such as specific reason for the blacklist, how long it has been in effect and where we can read the legalese about this blacklist.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
It seems that right now no one knows the reason for the blacklist and we are all speculating. There has to be someone from GM who reads these posts. Can we get an answer such as specific reason for the blacklist, how long it has been in effect and where we can read the legalese about this blacklist.
Thanks in advance.
GM sells cars in other countries, including the Corvette. They're protecting their profit-margins in those countries; a sound business practice. The last thing any international company would want is some person buying their product in one country and then turning around and underselling them in another market with that same product.

To the person who said to sue GM, have you ever heard the phrase, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone?" That applies in the free market we have here in the US. GM doesn't have to sell anything to anyone they don't want to, and no court in the country would say otherwise.

Even if one did Obama would just write another imperial decree and get the case kicked out of court anyway.

Quick Reply: I got put on a GM "export" or "shippers" blacklist - NEED HELP PLEASE!!!