Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got put on a GM "export" or "shippers" blacklist - NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Vettin Man
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default I got put on a GM "export" or "shippers" blacklist - NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Hello folks. I went to order a 2015 Stingray and was informed by my dealer that my name (with address) shows up on some blacklist that GM has and says that I have (I guess illegally) exported a Corvette out of the country. He says that until I get off that list I cannot be sold a car.

What I can't figure out is how I got on the list and what to do about it. I have bought somewhere around 20 new Corvettes since 1999 and have always sold them to someone in the US, never overseas.

To get to the point, has anyone here had experience with this and have a point of contact to get it worked out? I have called a contact at GM that's in the Corvette chain of command so to speak but he hasn't called me back. With the holidays here he may be out of the country for all I know. I'm sure I'm not going to get it fixed until after the first of the year but I'd like to at least try. My dealer had an allocation for me today but I'm going to miss it because of this issue.

Thanks for any help, names, phone numbers, etc you can give me to chase this rabbit down the trail!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:41 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettin Man
Hello folks. I went to order a 2015 Stingray and was informed by my dealer that my name (with address) shows up on some blacklist that GM has and says that I have (I guess illegally) exported a Corvette out of the country. He says that until I get off that list I cannot be sold a car.

What I can't figure out is how I got on the list and what to do about it. I have bought somewhere around 20 new Corvettes since 1999 and have always sold them to someone in the US, never overseas.

To get to the point, has anyone here had experience with this and have a point of contact to get it worked out? I have called a contact at GM that's in the Corvette chain of command so to speak but he hasn't called me back. With the holidays here he may be out of the country for all I know. I'm sure I'm not going to get it fixed until after the first of the year but I'd like to at least try. My dealer had an allocation for me today but I'm going to miss it because of this issue.

Thanks for any help, names, phone numbers, etc you can give me to chase this rabbit down the trail!
have wife or friend buy it and transfer the title to your name afterward
Old 12-19-2014, 02:47 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default gm blacklist

Originally Posted by Vettin Man

I remembered this thread from early in 2014 here is the link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ying-a-c7.html
Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

First find out what law GM is applying in refusing to sell you a car. Get a copy then you can decide if it's worth hiring an attorney. There might be a loophole somewhere.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:17 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I see the name Bill Miller in your post, which is a very common name. You also purchased a 2013 Corvette, which means that your name was added to the GM "blacklist" fairly recently. If that's your name, I would think that GM has additional identifiers to differentiate the person on their blacklist from the thousands upon thousands of other Bill or William Millers that live in this country. Do they also have your DOB, Social Security number, etc.? If I was going to do something illegal, I'd use a common name such as Miller, Smith, Jones, Johnson, etc., etc. I suppose it's possible that someone may have used your identity to export a vehicle out of the country.

It's pretty easy for you to prove who you are with legitimate documentation. (i.e birth certificate, Social Security card) I'd throw it back on GM and have them show proof that you are who they "think" you are. Just a shot in the dark. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:09 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

If you have bought a car from a GM dealer, why can't you do with it what you will? I don't think they have any legal right to stop anyone exporting their car, as long as it is paid for. Otherwise, they are saying that a GM car owner cannot take his/her car with them if they get sent overseas. Sounds very spurious to me.

If it's not sorted pronto, get a lawyer to write to their corporate counsel alleging defamation and threatening to sue. That should wake them up.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:17 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
If you have bought a car from a GM dealer, why can't you do with it what you will? I don't think they have any legal right to stop anyone exporting their car, as long as it is paid for. Otherwise, they are saying that a GM car owner cannot take his/her car with them if they get sent overseas. Sounds very spurious to me.

If it's not sorted pronto, get a lawyer to write to their corporate counsel alleging defamation and threatening to sue. That should wake them up.
No one (company or individual) can be forced to sell something to someone else (another company or individual). If GM has a policy regarding exporting their vehicles (which they apparently do) and chooses not to sell a vehicle to a particular individual (the OP in this case) because GM thinks that individual may export the vehicle, that's their prerogative. No law can force GM to sell a vehicle to said individual.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i still don't see why the op can't either

1. use someone else for the 1st title

or

2. start a corporation and purchase the car under a corporation
Old 12-20-2014, 09:22 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
No one (company or individual) can be forced to sell something to someone else (another company or individual). If GM has a policy regarding exporting their vehicles (which they apparently do) and chooses not to sell a vehicle to a particular individual (the OP in this case) because GM thinks that individual may export the vehicle, that's their prerogative. No law can force GM to sell a vehicle to said individual.
While I agree that you can't force GM to sell someone a vehicle if it violates corporate policy, it seems to me that there would some recourse if the individual is not in fact the person blacklisted. If I attempted to purchase a new Corvette and was denied based simply on the fact that GM "thought" I was going to violate their export policy, I would at the very least demand proof for the basis of that decision. Secondly, if they refused to provide that proof, I would never purchase another Chevrolet during my lifetime.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:41 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
While I agree that you can't force GM to sell someone a vehicle if it violates corporate policy, it seems to me that there would some recourse if the individual is not in fact the person blacklisted. If I attempted to purchase a new Corvette and was denied based simply on the fact that GM "thought" I was going to violate their export policy, I would at the very least demand proof for the basis of that decision. Secondly, if they refused to provide that proof, I would never purchase another Chevrolet during my lifetime.
I agree, it would suck if you were blacklisted by GM but you weren't the individual GM thought you were. In that case, the only thing you could do is try to convince GM of such, and get yourself removed from their blacklist. Having said that though, there's still nothing you could do should GM continue to choose to refuse to sell to you. What harm have they done to you? Not sold you a vehicle? There's no monetary harm in that action. You can't win any damages if there are no damages to begin with. It sucks, but that's life, and you move on.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:41 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

This is absolutely stupid, stupid, stupid.
Why should GM, or for that matter, anyone, care where a vehicle winds up after the sale?
This just doesn't make sense.

I have sold a few cars in the past, and of late, the last two were on their way to Australia.
Once the money is in my bank, I couldn't care less where the vehicles wind up.

When all the greenbacks are accounted for, I couldn't care if the car is shipped to outer space.
This GM policy is crazy.

Bob.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:25 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

I agree, it would suck if you were blacklisted by GM but you weren't the individual GM thought you were. In that case, the only thing you could do is try to convince GM of such, and get yourself removed from their blacklist. Having said that though, there's still nothing you could do should GM continue to choose to refuse to sell to you. What harm have they done to you? Not sold you a vehicle? There's no monetary harm in that action. You can't win any damages if there are no damages to begin with. It sucks, but that's life, and you move on.
I agree, but as the long time buyer of Chevrolet vehicles they wouldn't see my old butt in a Chevrolet dealership again. I'd wager an educated guess that GM would be hesitant to give the OP any information so that he can disprove it. If the OP has a common name as I suspect, that's probably where the confusion arises. GM placing someone on a blacklist because they "think" he's exported a vehicle seems to be a great way to alienate prospective customers to me. This type of foolishness is only exceeded by the number of recalls on their new vehicles.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:46 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

I agree, but as the long time buyer of Chevrolet vehicles they wouldn't see my old butt in a Chevrolet dealership again. I'd wager an educated guess that GM would be hesitant to give the OP any information so that he can disprove it. If the OP has a common name as I suspect, that's probably where the confusion arises. GM placing someone on a blacklist because they "think" he's exported a vehicle seems to be a great way to alienate prospective customers to me. This type of foolishness is only exceeded by the number of recalls on their new vehicles.
I'm sure GM's attitude, especially when it comes to the C7, is that they don't care if you don't buy it, someone else will (or said another way, if they don't sell it to you, they'll sell it to someone else).
Old 12-21-2014, 03:03 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

GM is on my blacklist. The car is a pleasure to drive but I will never buy another GM car. Never imagined all the aggravations I would have when I bought the car.
You can bet your bottom dollar that the C7 will have more recalls in future years and other problems GM will conveniently forget to repair. There has been already 2 recalls and a stop sale order this year. GM never changes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...idn-t-fix.html
Old 12-21-2014, 04:47 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

There is no law that prohibits exporting a legally purchased car so GM is doing this out of greed. They consider it scalping. Do they have a legal leg to stand on? That depends on the jury. Sue the crap out of GM and see if their policy holds up in court.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:01 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

I'm sure GM's attitude, especially when it comes to the C7, is that they don't care if you don't buy it, someone else will (or said another way, if they don't sell it to you, they'll sell it to someone else).
The proverbial little fish in a big pond attitude.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:09 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
GM is on my blacklist. The car is a pleasure to drive but I will never buy another GM car. Never imagined all the aggravations I would have when I bought the car.
You can bet your bottom dollar that the C7 will have more recalls in future years and other problems GM will conveniently forget to repair. There has been already 2 recalls and a stop sale order this year. GM never changes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...idn-t-fix.html
There have been several recalls on my 2013 Chevrolet Cruze RS. In addition, they've had to replace the oil pan gasket, torque converter gasket, and both front axle seals on my car. All of this with under 10,000 miles on it. I like the car and it gets great gas mileage, but I seriously doubt if I'll buy another Chevrolet again.

Last edited by DevilDog II; 12-21-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To I got put on a GM "export" or "shippers" blacklist - NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Vettin Man
Drifting

Cruise-In I Veteran

I see the name Bill Miller in your post, which is a very common name. You also purchased a 2013 Corvette, which means that your name was added to the GM "blacklist" fairly recently. If that's your name, I would think that GM has additional identifiers to differentiate the person on their blacklist from the thousands upon thousands of other Bill or William Millers that live in this country. Do they also have your DOB, Social Security number, etc.? If I was going to do something illegal, I'd use a common name such as Miller, Smith, Jones, Johnson, etc., etc. I suppose it's possible that someone may have used your identity to export a vehicle out of the country.

It's pretty easy for you to prove who you are with legitimate documentation. (i.e birth certificate, Social Security card) I'd throw it back on GM and have them show proof that you are who they "think" you are. Just a shot in the dark. Good luck!
Thanks. Once I figure out who to talk to that's what I'm going to do. According to my dealer they pit my name with my address on there.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Vettin Man
Drifting

Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by racebum
i still don't see why the op can't either

1. use someone else for the 1st title

or

2. start a corporation and purchase the car under a corporation
Thinking about both. Still want to fix the problem.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:01 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crosis
There is no law that prohibits exporting a legally purchased car so GM is doing this out of greed. They consider it scalping. Do they have a legal leg to stand on? That depends on the jury.
Absolutely, they have a legal leg to stand on. It's their product, and they can sell it to whomever they want, or not. As I mentioned before, there's no law requiring them to sell anything to anyone they choose not to. You may not like this (their policy), but that's the way it is, so accept it and don't even think of trying to take them to court, because you would have no legal leg to stand on in the matter. It's just a fact.

Originally Posted by Crosis
Sue the crap out of GM and see if their policy holds up in court.
So you think you can outlitigate GM? Dream on. They've got an army of attorneys, against your one or two. Good luck with that!

Quick Reply: I got put on a GM "export" or "shippers" blacklist - NEED HELP PLEASE!!!