Sponsored by:

Fixed my wheel hop issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 03:53 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Fixed my wheel hop issue

EDIT: The Wheel Hop issue was not fixed after all. Please ignore this post..

Last edited by craig04c5; 02-10-2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by craig04c5
I have heard of some people putting teflon tape on the sway bar under the bushing but that would make the bar larger and increase the clamping pressure which may also cause the bar to bind.
The teflon tape is so thin it does not make any noticeable difference in pressure. I put it on with the C6 Z51 bars and never had a problem.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:57 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

what kind of tires do you have?... a lot of times that can be the cause... my old set of ccw's came with bfgoodrich kdw2's and those hopped so bad and were noisy as hell, no doubt the worst set of tires I've ever personally owned... besides tires I added pfadt motor mounts and the diff brace, my car doesn't hop at all anymore

Last edited by neutron82; 12-19-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the tip. Hope eventually you can eliminate even more of the wheel hop.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:22 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No disrespect, but I don't buy this story at all (I wish I did because that would be a pretty easy wheel-hop fix, lol).
Old 12-20-2014, 10:50 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neutron82
what kind of tires do you have?... a lot of times that can be the cause... my old set of ccw's came with bfgoodrich kdw2's and those hopped so bad and were noisy as hell, no doubt the worst set of tires I've ever personally owned... besides tires I added pfadt motor mounts and the diff brace, my car doesn't hop at all anymore
They are GoodYear GSD3's which were very popular a couple years ago and were not known to cause the issue. Since they are no longer available when I replace them I am thinking Michelin Run Flats and I hope then I will have no wheel hop. It is a lot better now though.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

My wheel hop disappeared when I shifted from the OEM run-flats to the Hankooks.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:15 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

These also help:

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...ategory_id=152

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/c5-c6...dle-brace.html

A lot of times it is the drivetrain that is hopping under hard acceleration and the brace will eliminate this drivetrain issue!

Thanks,Matt
Old 12-20-2014, 11:17 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Koufax
Ventus V12's? OEM sizes?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufax
Mine went away when I switched from the OEM run-flats to Nitto 555's. Never "hopped" again after that.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:09 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by luke87gt
No disrespect, but I don't buy this story at all (I wish I did because that would be a pretty easy wheel-hop fix, lol).
I understand your skepticism but I have 4:10 gears and was not able to even take off aggressively without severe wheel hop when the tires would break loose. Even half throttle would shake the car and I was afraid the rear/trans was going to break. I have done several full throttle take offs since cleaning the goo off of my sway bar and bracket and putting the rubber bushings on. So buy it or not, it worked for me.
There are a lot of suggestions on what kind of lube to use on the bushings and all I can say is be careful and check the bushings after applying any lube. I am not going to put lube on since the factory does not with the rubber bushings. If you have Polyurethane they usually come with grease like mine did. That grease was the issue.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got hop in 1st and 2nd gear. I've never bothered finding out if it does it in other gears, since I don't want to beat on the car. The odd thing with my car is that it doesn't happen all the time. I think tire condition and road condition play a big part. It seems to happen more often on warmer roads and overall conditions. Cold tires on cold roads are less of an issue.

I'm going get my car up in the air for a look soon, just to see what's under there.

S.C.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Your wheel hop has nothing to do with sway bar bushings.. wheel hop is caused by too much uneven coefficient of friction.. too much engine torque and the tires are grabbing unevenly. Hop is caused buy pull under load with different areas of the foot print responding differently.. usually hard spot within the foot print.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by craig04c5
Ventus V12's? OEM sizes?
Yes to both questions
Old 12-23-2014, 12:25 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Your wheel hop has nothing to do with sway bar bushings.. wheel hop is caused by too much uneven coefficient of friction.. too much engine torque and the tires are grabbing unevenly. Hop is caused buy pull under load with different areas of the foot print responding differently.. usually hard spot within the foot print.
This is all fine, but why is there too much uneven coefficient of friction, too much engine torque (can there really ever be too much? ), etc.

You give potential reasons, but no clue as to how to chase these reasons back to the root cause.

Sorry if I'm sounding bitchy, that's not my intent. I just always ask why.

S.C.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Nothing wrong with asking why, that's how engineers are born..
Consider the tires are what transfers power from the engine through the tires to push the car down the road.. when weight transfer is applied properly thought the rear suspension, and increase in down force is achieved to keep the tires on the road.
The down force applied can be sucked up buy a bad shock, ( think about those water barrels at the end of an off ramp to absorb the force of an impact. Sway bars are designed for stability... if the rubber in a tire gets what is know as " work hard " the revolution of the tire will Hop when the tires loses traction momentarily, wheel hop occurs during the most aggressive load, this is where the footprint is at its most demanding task. as it slip though the threshold of traction it wants to hop to the next grab point. IM trying to paint a picture that you can understand, Once the load demand diminishes the tire seems fine and acts normally.. .
Tires are generally made up od Carbon and rubber. the more carbon, the longer they last, carbon makes them black, rubber is what makes them sticky..
typically touring tires have 60 % carbon for longevity. and 40 % rubber, touring tires are not designed for performance other than long mileage performance.
Performance tires are 60 % rubber and 40 % carbon. the more rubber the stickier they are.. but they wear out faster because of the low carbon content.
Run flats are notoriously hard, because they run hotter than a conventional tire, this heat helps to cook the rubber and make it harder. the harder , the noisier.. if you can see how this all makes sense. Why everything is a trade off..
Bill aka ET
Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Consider the tires are what transfers power from the engine through the tires to push the car down the road.. when weight transfer is applied properly thought the rear suspension, and increase in down force is achieved to keep the tires on the road.
The down force applied can be sucked up buy a bad shock, ( think about those water barrels at the end of an off ramp to absorb the force of an impact. Sway bars are designed for stability... if the rubber in a tire gets what is know as " work hard " the revolution of the tire will Hop when the tires loses traction momentarily, wheel hop occurs during the most aggressive load, this is where the footprint is at its most demanding task. as it slip though the threshold of traction it wants to hop to the next grab point. IM trying to paint a picture that you can understand, Once the load demand diminishes the tire seems fine and acts normally.. .
Tires are generally made up od Carbon and rubber. the more carbon, the longer they last, carbon makes them black, rubber is what makes them sticky..
typically touring tires have 60 % carbon for longevity. and 40 % rubber, touring tires are not designed for performance other than long mileage performance.
Performance tires are 60 % rubber and 40 % carbon. the more rubber the stickier they are.. but they wear out faster because of the low carbon content.
Run flats are notoriously hard, because they run hotter than a conventional tire, this heat helps to cook the rubber and make it harder. the harder , the noisier.. if you can see how this all makes sense. Why everything is a trade off..
Bill aka ET
But in my case the tires are performance tires (GoodYear GSD3 in OEM sizes) but I guess they can still have "hard spots". While we are asking questions doesn't a sway bar twist when torque is applied? If the bar can't twist what is the result? I did notice when I loosened the sway bar mount the lower control arm shifted slightly on one side when I loosened the lower sway bar bolts (car raised on ramps and level). Maybe this was the main cause of my wheel hop instead of the binding caused by the sticky goo on the bushing? I do know the wheel hop has been greatly reduced and I am happy about that but I would like to know why.

Last edited by craig04c5; 12-23-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:23 PM
p1bz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill aka ET
Full of Irrelevant information. All good theories But completely wrong in this event. Post something helpful please.

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed my wheel hop issue

Quick Reply: Fixed my wheel hop issue