Sponsored by:

Boost gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:30 AM
99supercharged
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost gauge question

Hello, I am currently swapping in a zo6 cluster w/ hud into my 99 frc. I have a supercharger on the car, and am wondering if it is possible to take apart the cluster, carefully trim and remove the voltmeter, and glue in an aftermarket boost gauge in its place. In doing this, I would remove the face from the aftermarket gauge so it would look stock when installed.

Thanks,

Ty
Old 12-21-2014, 01:57 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

post pictures!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

and post in the FI section
Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You might, but if you want it to be usefull I would keep it in your line of sight or on a pod. Trust me, you will be trying to pay attention to the road if you are running much boost.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:14 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
You might, but if you want it to be usefull I would keep it in your line of sight or on a pod. Trust me, you will be trying to pay attention to the road if you are running much boost.

When the go pedal is mashed you don't have time to look at a boost gauge, at least that is what I've learned. I have my gauge on the ash tray door and might not even need it afterall.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 99supercharged
Hello, I am currently swapping in a zo6 cluster w/ hud into my 99 frc. I have a supercharger on the car, and am wondering if it is possible to take apart the cluster, carefully trim and remove the voltmeter, and glue in an aftermarket boost gauge in its place. In doing this, I would remove the face from the aftermarket gauge so it would look stock when installed.
Heh. Shouldn't be any harder than adding a USB port to an iPad...
Old 12-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Pillar Mount.
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick

When the go pedal is mashed you don't have time to look at a boost gauge, at least that is what I've learned. I have my gauge on the ash tray door and might not even need it afterall.
With everything going on now that I think about it I really didn't need a boost gauge. Glad I have my fuel pressure gauge but even that is hard to tell. Wish I would of gone with the alarm ones because when all hell breaks loose...Boost gauge...ain't nobody got time for that..
Old 12-24-2014, 02:22 AM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yeah I like your idea, but when the gas pedals pegged it's not gonna be easy to keep your eye on it, I installed a shift light for keeping me informed when things are happening quick
Attached Images  

Last edited by skydiven4fun; 12-24-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:56 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've had my gauges for several years and to be honest, I don't think I've ever looked at them when I'm accelerating. I'm usually too busy focusing on my driving and trying to keep the car straight. My shift light is also mounted on the pillar at eye level. It's angled in such a way that I catch the light out of the corner of my eyes when I'm driving.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I've had my gauges for several years and to be honest, I don't think I've ever looked at them when I'm accelerating. I'm usually too busy focusing on my driving and trying to keep the car straight. My shift light is also mounted on the pillar at eye level. It's angled in such a way that I catch the light out of the corner of my eyes when I'm driving.

I look at mine..never enough trouble keeping car in line and not running over slower vehicles

mine is mounted on pillar at eye level
Old 12-24-2014, 11:38 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep I agree. Mine is on my pillar and when the boost gets high enough, you won't even be thinking about trying to read the gauge. I just swapped to a smaller pulley and while I would love to know how much boost it's showing, I can't even take a glimpse of it while getting up in boost.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:23 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by NVTHIS
Yep I agree. Mine is on my pillar and when the boost gets high enough, you won't even be thinking about trying to read the gauge. I just swapped to a smaller pulley and while I would love to know how much boost it's showing, I can't even take a glimpse of it while getting up in boost.
Beautiful car!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:08 PM
PMPNSEZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree when WOT trying to look at the boost gauge and the road can be quite a challenge. It took some time before I could glance at it reliably to check my A/F gauge and Mechanical boost gauge. It was always easier to check the A/F as it was digital than the Autometer Cobalt boost gauge I have. I bought a Eboost 2 to keep all gauges digital. Much easier to look at than trying to watch the needle.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:53 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't typically look at the boost guage while at WOT, but I do like looking at the vacuum level under normal acceleration.

At WOT I just like to check the MAX PSI (digital gauge) to make sure my wastegate is working.

There was a thread where a guy re-wired the voltmeter to display boost, but it was pretty technical and not something most people should try to do. Pretty slick if you pull it off though.

I personally like the gauges on the A pillar, and its by far the easiest/cheapest way to set it up.

Another thought: This guy put his wideband O2 sensor mounted on the steering column in front of the speedometer so that it kind of lays inside the speedo. He says in daytime it doensn't look very slick, but it sure looks good from this angle:

Old 12-27-2014, 07:23 AM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a boost gauge (14 lbs. max) with a 5 lbs. boost light that indicates meth spray with a fuel pressure gauge on my A pod (Double D A pod) I orientate my gauges so that the needles point to 9 o'clock for quick reference with the go pedal is pressed..
Old 01-02-2015, 12:55 AM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Beautiful car!!!!!!
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:48 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree with this ..I have my fuel pressure gauge and boost gauge mount on my a-pillar as well and when I am WOT I can see them out of the corner of my eye, but my main focus is on the road, i will glance at them from time to time to make sure everything is in check....as far as mounting a gauge in the cluster i am pretty sure it can be done, just get a drimmel and some bits and start shaving some plastic away but the issue would be getting a boost gauge that small, 52mm is the smallest i have seen in gauges

Get notified of new replies

To Boost gauge question

Quick Reply: Boost gauge question