Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I absolutely need the X Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:48 AM
dece1416
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I absolutely need the X Pipe?

Hey Guys,
My xmas gift to my self this year is an exhaust. I decided on the Corsa indy/Sport with tigershark tips. My question is do I absolutely need the XO pipe? Will I get a ridulous amount of popping on decel? I'd rather put the 300 bucks into the install than the x pipe, but if it needs it then i'll get it.

I'm new to Corvette world, just bought this 98 Vert manual this fall.

Any comments are welcomed! Have nice Holiday everyone.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2014, 08:18 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dece1416
Hey Guys,
My xmas gift to my self this year is an exhaust. I decided on the Corsa indy/Sport with tigershark tips. My question is do I absolutely need the XO pipe? Will I get a ridulous amount of popping on decel? I'd rather put the 300 bucks into the install than the x pipe, but if it needs it then i'll get it.

I'm new to Corvette world, just bought this 98 Vert manual this fall.

Any comments are welcomed! Have nice Holiday everyone.
I experienced less popping (motor boating) when backing off the accelerator and sound level was about the same with an X Pipe, by the way a Borla X pipe runs ~$230, if I remember correctly Summit ship it for free.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:24 AM
dece1416
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tentuna
I experienced less popping (motor boating) when backing off the accelerator and sound level was about the same with an X Pipe, by the way a Borla X pipe runs ~$230, if I remember correctly Summit ship it for free.

Thanks Tentuna. Maybe I should get it then. I'm assuming its a perfect fit if the x pipe and the exhaust are different?
Old 12-21-2014, 08:42 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Do you absolutely need an x-pipe?
Yes, yes you do.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:55 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shop around a bit for the install. Any shop with a lift should be able to switch the exhaust out in less than an hour. Shouldn't cost $300.

Also, You could consider doing it yourself if you have any skill/tools required. If you can lift the back of the car just enough to get under there you can remove the old system by cutting it close to the axle with a hack saw. My understanding is that the Corsa system come in pieces so can be installed without the car being on a lift. I'm sure someone else that has the Corsa system can confirm this.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:31 AM
rtadallasvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4 KRUSIN
Shop around a bit for the install. Any shop with a lift should be able to switch the exhaust out in less than an hour. Shouldn't cost $300.

Also, You could consider doing it yourself if you have any skill/tools required. If you can lift the back of the car just enough to get under there you can remove the old system by cutting it close to the axle with a hack saw. My understanding is that the Corsa system come in pieces so can be installed without the car being on a lift. I'm sure someone else that has the Corsa system can confirm this.
I put my tiger tips on my 99 without any trouble. It was pretty simple, just take your time. Save the install cost and get an x-pipe. I never had any garble issues but I kinda like garble haha
Old 12-21-2014, 09:36 AM
williame3590
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

2nd, yes, yes you do!

Bill
Old 12-21-2014, 09:48 AM
v98roadie
Trucker
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same system on my 02 with long tube headers. I definitely agree with the group here, do the x-pipe. It makes a difference. You will like the Corsa system.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If all you are doing is the catback section on your exhaust, then no, you do not absolutely have to install an x-pipe on the car with a Corsa system. With other systems that may not be the case since others have a tendency to drone and pop. The stock H-pipe will work just fine. I run the Corsa Indy Pace Car exhaust on mine with the stock H-pipe. There is no popping or drone and the exhaust sounds great.

When and if you install LT headers you could install the x-pipe then. With the Corsa exhaust, you should not experience drone or popping.

But, the call is ultimately yours to make. The x-pipe will smooth out the exhaust flow a bit and since you will already be under the car working on the exhaust, it could be a good time to kill two birds with one stone if your budget allows.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:13 AM
joe's98
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

I have the Sport with the x pipe. I had to install it because PO had a Magna Flow system that was welded together. My wife bought mine for me at the 20 year NCM event. Corsa was doing the install for free. Great deal. I think you will be happy either way you go. If you are just doing axle back very easy install, no cutting. Congrats on the new car. I have a similar '98 too
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Eaglerulez
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Your muffler shop should have some "weld-in" X-pipes available for around $60. Obviously they won't be name brand Corvette stuff but you can have them put that in when they are doing the rest of the exhaust.

Will be a little cheaper and should accomplish the same thing as the bolt-on x-pipes.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I installed TI exhaust on my car without and about 3 months later I found an X pipe local for a good price and installed it, In my opinion when I installed the X pipe the car sounded a lot better, Kinda like an exotic sound.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:18 PM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I just ordered my Corsa sport exhaust-no x-pipe from westcoastcorvette.com and had the same question. He said not necessary for a 6spd but more so for an automatic. I think with the louder "Extreme" version you do need the x-pipes.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:25 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

It's not required. It's personal preference. I don't have an X-pipe with my GHL exhaust and it sounds fine. I've gotten many compliments.

I heard my dad's B&B cat back on his old C5 with and without an X-pipe. The sound was fine without, but the popping during deceleration with the X-pipe decreased.

If you plan on doing headers at some point, wait and do the X-pipe at that point.

And the install of a "cat back" (which is technically an axel back without an X-pipe) should not cost anywhere near $300. If you go to a shop and that's the price they give, find a new shop.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

With the stock cam, it sounds like a tugboat without a crossover.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by v98roadie
I have the same system on my 02 with long tube headers. I definitely agree with the group here, do the x-pipe. It makes a difference. You will like the Corsa system.

Proven to flow better!

I have LT headers and Corsa catback. You will love the sound!
Old 12-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I opted to do without a X pipe and had the exhaust shop get rid of the H pipe as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I absolutely need the X Pipe?

Old 12-21-2014, 04:21 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

sound is the big one. try and listen to both ways

technically a good x pipe is worth 5hp or so but i would guess most go one way or the other for sound
Old 12-21-2014, 05:33 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

do you need it? no
will you want it? probably
Old 12-21-2014, 06:06 PM
JayTee72
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's my 2 cents...........

I've recently had the fortune of hearing 3 different types of exhaust setups on c5s...

1. When I bought my c5 it had a custom exhaust, including part of the factory H pipe (including the "h") then glasspacks then straight pipes out to the back.

2. I recently changed that out to an x pipe after the factory cats, then to an aftermarket axleback.

3. I've also heard the complete factory (stock) setup on a friend's c5.

Previously on this forum I had heard the term "motorboat" sound describing exhausts, but really didn't quite know what they were talking about, UNTIL I heard #3. It actually is a perfect description, compared to some of the nice aftermarket systems out there (you know the names).

When I went from #1 to #2 it was certainly quieter (which was exactly was I was going for), but also the "bubble" sound at idle (and otherwise) was a little less pronounced, and a little smoother. IMO the x pipe will help ANY system kinda reduce the "bubbly" sound out the back to more of a "rumble" sound, if that makes sense. I think it helps to reduce the height of the sound "waves" and smoothes them out to produce a 'rumble' of sorts. The pulse is still there, just a little less pronounced.

The axleback I chose was the borla s type II, but I would still think that the results would be the same with any other brand (Corsa,etc.), just the pitch of the sound would be different.
(I.E. I think borlas generally produce a lower pitched sound while corsas 'generally' might be a tad higher (less deep)). But they would still rumble with the x pipe compared to the motorboat sound of the H PIPE.....

But I have NOT heard a corsa exhaust with the H pipe in person. These are just 'my' experiences. Good luck with your choice and get out and DRIVE IT!

Last edited by JayTee72; 12-21-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Do I absolutely need the X Pipe?