Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jerk drivers when they see a corvette WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Default jerk drivers when they see a corvette WHY?

seams every time i'm in my car just cruising along NOT driving like a jerk minding my own business I get cut off, cars cut in front of me and slow down when its clear in from of them, drive close or at stop lights they stop just short of hitting me. when i'm in my suv or another car some of this might happen but when i'm in my zo6 its like every 10 minutes. my wife even commented about it

I was on the expressway traffic was light left lane was clear I was doing about 70mph as i came up on a car in the middle lane (who had no one in front of him) cut over last minute then slowed down to 55mph so i got in the middle lane when i got on the side of him he looked at me and laugh. WTF?

another time in bumper to bumper grid lock a guy behind me every time i stopped was less then a foot from my bumper, I changed lanes he got right back behind me this went on for about 10 minutes (30 plus times) I stopped and just sat for about a minute he was so close no way he could get around me with out backing up witch he couldn't so he just sat on his horn until I started to move.

I use to have a bad case of road rage in my younger days its hard to keep cool in this car some times
Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Welcome to owning and driving a small vehicle. They either don't see you or think they have the right to go first because they are in a larger car/truck.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Two things.......... the profile of our cars makes cars behind us and I think this varies by cars behing look closer then they are at times.

AND since you have graduated road rage......next time just pull over and let the idiot pass. Pisses them off and keeps your BP down.

Yep folks see you coming, know you wont plow them and do pull out in front of them

At times I wish I had a beater pickup with the cowcatcher......... but then I'd get in trouble for that!!
Old 12-24-2014, 01:48 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Call Highway Patrol or local sheriff to report a DWI
Old 12-24-2014, 02:22 PM
2KMYCorvette
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get this a lot too. Especially around where I live you rarely see new cars or better cars than Corvettes so people tend to be jealous. I get people wanting to start fights with me and tailgating me all the time even though I am just driving normal. I do get a lot of complements though even though it's a 14 year old car so that makes up for it.

Last edited by 2KMYCorvette; 12-24-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:50 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I drive 65 miles a day so I see all kinds of stuff I stopped driving the vette to work 2 times a week now it is only on fridays now. I felt the same way that, asshat's would always drive up on me or cut me off when I would drive the vette. Well it happens just as much in my VW Cabrio I feel that my sences are higher in the vette as I would be just so pissed off if someone hit me in it. Lets just say most drivers are asshat's and that 20 feet ahead of me was a victory for them.

Pops
Old 12-24-2014, 02:54 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

That's the opposite of my experiences. People seem to be more courteous when I'm in my Corvette. Maybe people are just nicer in these parts. I did notice people drove a lot more aggressively on the East coast than they do in Wisconsin.
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (10-27-2022)
Old 12-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

To be honest I don't really encounter people driving badly around me when I'm in the Vette verse my daily driver (Saturn Aura) other than trying to race me. If anything, it seems like people are intimidated by the car. People are frequently more likely to leave space to change lanes or not tailgate me. A friendly wave from someone in another performance car or someone on the street usually makes driving the Vette a non frustrating event...at least from people driving like idiots (once again other than trying to race me).

I will admit though, it is quite entertaining to see trucks and SUVs drive off the road when they try to follow me through a turn.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clairvoyantwolf:
c5arlen (10-27-2022), chevyorange (10-18-2022)
Old 12-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Every other person is a jerk.. funny how those calling people jerks, are the jerks that other people see.

A few things that never change, all corvette owners think they are good drivers, and Most men think they are an expert shot, and could hunt a gather in an apocalyptic world..
In both cases these two issue are very far from the actual truth.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 12-24-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
funny how those calling people jerks, are the jerks that other people see.
I agree 100% with you on this!

Marry Christmas to you

Last edited by Stroker87; 12-24-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:06 PM
TX Torch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I drive defensively most of the time. There have been a lot of people lately who drive like idiots. Pull in front of you, drive slow, whatever.
I just stay calm and adjust. I don't think it matters what car I'm in.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:36 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Torch
I drive defensively most of the time. There have been a lot of people lately who drive like idiots. Pull in front of you, drive slow, whatever.
I just stay calm and adjust. I don't think it matters what car I'm in.
Looks we're in the same area and it seems a lot of people can't stand to be 'behind' a Vette .. they have to be in 'front' ! I've had people be behind me for a short time then fly around me and cut over in front just to show they can do it I've tried to pull around some that are driving right at the speed limit or slower and just as I get almost beside them they speed up to try and stay ahead !
LuisZ51 (04-22-2019)
Old 12-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
Looks we're in the same area and it seems a lot of people can't stand to be 'behind' a Vette .. they have to be in 'front' ! I've had people be behind me for a short time then fly around me and cut over in front just to show they can do it I've tried to pull around some that are driving right at the speed limit or slower and just as I get almost beside them they speed up to try and stay ahead !
Most people live in their own world and could care less about the jerk in front of them, let alone what type of car they drive.
Many people who own Corvettes seem to think that people who don't own a Corvette are so fixated on some jerk who owns a Corvette, its pathetic. " NO One Cares " . Everyone has their own life to live.
c5arlen (10-19-2022)
Old 12-24-2014, 04:04 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a brew and a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I haven't experienced any of the rude behavior around here just because I am in my C5. There are always those that will drive erratically regardless of what other cars are around them.

Best thing to do is just keep a watchful eye and if someone acts , get away from them at the first opportunity and then resume your trip. That's not saying floor the gas pedal and break laws to do so.
c5arlen (10-19-2022)
Old 12-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
" NO One Cares " . Everyone has their own life to live.
sure they do just like you in this topic!

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Best thing to do is just keep a watchful eye and if someone acts , get away from them at the first opportunity and then resume your trip. That's not saying floor the gas pedal and break laws to do so.
i've been doing my best to do just that, i'm sure some of it is just mistakes from maybe some texting or just not paying enough attention but there is some who for what ever reason mess around with me. my brother inlaw who is a c6 owner say it happens to him to.

Last edited by Stroker87; 12-24-2014 at 04:29 PM.
joghotrod (10-26-2022)
Old 12-24-2014, 04:34 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
Have a brew and a Merry Christmas!

I encounter the exact same thing in Australia. I put it down to "***** Envy". I drive a Corvette and they don't. Plain and simple.

They're just attempting to **** me off and I refuse to let them do that. Fact is, I would much rather have them in front of me than behind me.

My advice is this...laugh it off and obey the driving laws. The world is made up of many different people, and yes, some of them are jerks.

Get notified of new replies

To jerk drivers when they see a corvette WHY?

Old 12-24-2014, 04:36 PM
kennedy759
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have more problems with jerks when I drive my work pickup pulling a trailer. jerks don`t want to be behind a trailer so will pull out in front of me, not realizing I can`t stop on a dime. my favorite jerk was a bitch on her phone, I was in the middle lane, she in the right, pulled in front of me, hit the brakes so she could make the exit to my left, should of rammed her.
joghotrod (10-26-2022)
Old 12-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by kennedy759
I have more problems with jerks when I drive my work pickup pulling a trailer. jerks don`t want to be behind a trailer so will pull out in front of me, not realizing I can`t stop on a dime. my favorite jerk was a bitch on her phone, I was in the middle lane, she in the right, pulled in front of me, hit the brakes so she could make the exit to my left, should of rammed her.
For what it's worth, I don't like being behind work trucks pulling trailers either. They are constantly dropping rocks, nails and various other objects. I do what it takes to get around them to avoid rock chips and possible broken windshields. If people with work trailers would stick to the right (slow) lane it would help but that rarely seems to happen.
c5arlen (10-19-2022)
Old 12-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

My point to this whole thing is that people can be jerks,, no matter what they drive, or what you drive. Of course IM 70 years old.. I drive my Corvette just barely looking over the steering wheel, I drive at the speed limit or a little less.. I usually wear my white shoes and white belt with my trousers, and wear them up around my nipples.. IN all my years of Corvette ownership.. No one has ever tried to cut me off or go around me..

I may be just the Jerk that defines all Corvette Owners.
Bill aka ET

Quick Reply: jerk drivers when they see a corvette WHY?