2004 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:50 PM
Harley6
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
Default 2004 question

I posted here a couple months ago about my desire to replace my current car, a low-miles 2006 Mustang GT, with a C5 Corvette. I've been reading this forum, looking at listings and doing what I can to know as much as I can about the C5 in order to make a good decision. Last thing I want to do is get rid of a very nice, nearly perfect car in exchange for a car that makes me regret it (But it's been a lifelong dream to own a Vette, and I'm not getting any younger).

I'm going to look tomorrow at a 2004 Commemorative Edition coupe. Is there anything in particular with that car -- and the 04 in general -- that's better and/or worse than other C5s? I'm fairly aware of the usual issues with C5s, especially the early years. If there's anything specifically I should look for when I check this 04 out, feel free to let me know.

Thanks for all the advice on here. This is an awesome site.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:47 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Some '04s had a problem with the fuel crossover pipe (cracking and leaking fuel) but I do not have the VIN range handy. Other than that, the list of common problems mentioned in the C5 buyers sticky at the top of the page should cover things for you.

Good luck with the car.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:00 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I made the same move two years ago and sold my 06 GT to get into a c5. Coincidentally I had shopped c5s prior to my mustang, but decided to go for the mustang at the time as I was very familiar.

My 3v premiym car was bought stock. It ended supercharged, air to air, full exhaust, fuel, etc to the tune of 460rwhp on 8.5psi which is as far as Id trust the shortblock.

Overall the mustang is a nicer, better built car with a much higher level of fitment and extremely easier to work on/hold up to abuse.

If you are going for straightline fast, keep your mustang. It's cheaper.

That said, I hated the remote shifted 3650, the early drive by wire (un noticable in the c5 btw), the limits of the 3v, and the overall non sports car feel. Oh and who can forget 2 piece plugs. Largest peeve was a fixed roof.

That said, it really was better as a drag car. The corvette has a 10x nicer transmission but the clutch hydraulics are crap. Stock suspension is garbage. Like the mustang; once you add tires it's horrid to turn and it exploits all weakness. The LS is a great engine, but the valvetrain noise and mild slap (car depending) is off putting.

Try them both and be honest with yourself. Then pick an end goal, then drive a 5.0 with a tune etc. I love my vette but for the $ there are better options.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:03 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Old 12-27-2014, 02:04 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Waaaay cheaper to mod and easier work on btw
Old 12-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Harley6
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. I'm not a racer and have no plans to race or even modify a C5. Just looking for something that drives nice and has a certain "cool" factor. Value down the road also means something to me, and I'm told a C5 will hold its value much better than an 06 Mustang GT.

I Iove my Mustang and it would take a nice C5 to get me to part with it. One big factor is the smoothness of the ride.

My Mustang is the GT Premium and the suspension is so stiff that every ripple in the road is felt in the seat of the pants. Road noise also is pretty loud. My wife has pain issues and it really bothers her to ride in it. I've been told the C5 is much smoother, to the point that one person told me it rides like a Caddy (is it that good?). The only C5 I've driven was a Z06 and it definitely doesn't pass out smooth-ride test (awesome car, though).

Last edited by Harley6; 12-27-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:05 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Mine is a z51 car; Id say the cars are around equal in ride quality as far as bumps go, with the nod to the mustang. The c5 has more road noise than any other car I've ever owned however. I've run non runflats in both Michelin pilot sports and Hankook Ventus evos and it's still very noisy. Really spend time in both. A c6 is a much better lateral move from an s197 car. A c5 is a good sn95 replacement. I've had both.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Kenny G
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool factor?

You already know the answer..... C5 all the way!!!!
Old 12-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Tom Keitzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley6
Thanks for the advice. I'm not a racer and have no plans to race or even modify a C5. Just looking for something that drives nice and has a certain "cool" factor. Value down the road also means something to me, and I'm told a C5 will hold its value much better than an 06 Mustang GT.

I Iove my Mustang and it would take a nice C5 to get me to part with it. One big factor is the smoothness of the ride.

My Mustang is the GT Premium and the suspension is so stiff that every ripple in the road is felt in the seat of the pants. Road noise also is pretty loud. My wife has pain issues and it really bothers her to ride in it. I've been told the C5 is much smoother, to the point that one person told me it rides like a Caddy (is it that good?). The only C5 I've driven was a Z06 and it definitely doesn't pass out smooth-ride test (awesome car, though).
I'm afraid I must disagree with RSbeast!! I own an '07 Mustang GT Premium convertible and an '02 Vette convertible. I just don't feel that the Stang is half the car the vette is. Ride, power, handling, you name it. Now the Stang is very nice but..........just not in the same league. As far as problems are concerned, the ONLY thing I have had to replace on my 02 C5 is the left headlight motor gear. About $50 and an hour of my time. 43K on the vette clock. Have had many more issues with the Stang, but then again nothing very expensive or serious. But good luck whichever choice you make.
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2014, 12:05 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

If the power and handling is what you are after, look at a Z06.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:03 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom Keitzer
I'm afraid I must disagree with RSbeast!! I own an '07 Mustang GT Premium convertible and an '02 Vette convertible. I just don't feel that the Stang is half the car the vette is. Ride, power, handling, you name it. Now the Stang is very nice but..........just not in the same league. As far as problems are concerned, the ONLY thing I have had to replace on my 02 C5 is the left headlight motor gear. About $50 and an hour of my time. 43K on the vette clock. Have had many more issues with the Stang, but then again nothing very expensive or serious. But good luck whichever choice you make.
I won't argue that the corvette doesn't have higher performance thresholds stock; that really isn't a question. But it's not as well built. One was designed and engineered almost 10yrs newer. You also have a vert; which although I like; are heavier still and have pretty twisty chassis. I'm just stating for ride and overall quality; the vette is not the nicer car, it's a nice car; but we really shouldn't kid ourselves on the ill fitting and poor material sourced interior, cheap molded bits and flimsy leather/seats. The panels on vettes fit for crap, things don't line up at the same planes in hard light, huge gaps due to expansion in older composite technology, **** paint etc etc.

They're fun, they perform 'OK' stock; but they are fragile, hard to service and expensive. To me the pros do not outweigh the cons as far as quality of car.

Now id rather a corvette than my old mustang. I think it's more fun for myself etc and I'm willing to put up with the crappy parts (most days), but I will not be sold into delusion based on a nameplate.

An older ferrari is really cool and fun too; but it'll never be as 'nice' as a new Altima. It's simply what you will allow yourself to deal with.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:42 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

You're correct on all the items. The C5 will hold its value better. Also, a Z06 is not the "smooth rider" you're looking for. Instead, the stock or Commemorative Edition will probably have a smoother ride but be aware, they're sports cars and they will not be riding like a Caddy. If the ride is of primary concern, a C6 might be a better choice. Road noise will still be there as well. It's a fiberglass car with balsa wood floors. Noise WILL be coming in. Lastly, the "cool" factor you're looking for.... I'll quote from another thread. If you pull up to a red light with a Mustang, a Challenger, a Camaro, a Charger and a Vette all sitting there, all eyes will be drawn to the Vette. That's just a given. The Vette wins the "cool" prize. Good luck on what ever decision you make. There's a lot of fun cars out there.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Harley6
Instructor

Just to clarify, as much as I like it I'm NOT looking for a Z06. Just a good C5 coupe to drive while I'm in the Seattle area in the summers (im in AZ fall/winter/spring) with occasional sunny-day driving during the times I'm up there in the winter.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:40 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Corvette all the way...cool factor for sure. Never seen grandma hauling groceries in a Vette! Mustang is a car for the people with no special feel. Even looking down the front hood from the drivers seat feels like driving a F150 truck. Looking down the hood of a Corvette, well you know this is not mom's grocery getter. I am not sure who's Corvette RSB was viewing but all the body panels on my Corvette are exceptional fit and finish! Paint is exceptional also. Corvette's are not for everybody...but that is what is so appealing about them. You can have your Mustang grocery getter's!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM
lfj2025
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own both a Mustang GT and 2004 Vette (and three other cars). I would never trade my Vette for Mustang but I would trade the GT for a Vette. Love the Vette (been trouble free) been thinking of getting the new Stingray.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:25 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
I Overall the mustang is a nicer, better built car with a much higher level of fitment and extremely easier to work on/hold up to abuse.
A 2004 Corvette had a base price of $45k a 2005 GT's was 20k you really think Ford was able to build a better car for more then half the price?
I've driven a 2008 GT 5 spd convertible before and it felt like a friggin tank compared to my 01 Vert...
Stock for stock coupes there's no comparison between 350 Hp and 3200lbs vs 300hp and 3600lbs

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 12-27-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Harley6
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you are looking at a 2004 then be cautious of vehicles in the VIN range:

45110258 through 45125500

These were subject to a GM Special Coverage policy where if the drivers side tank failed in 10 years from first registration or 100K miles (which ever came first) they would repair/replace the tank at their cost. Essentially due to improper preparation of the cement used to adhere the bung to the tank the bung can crack away from the body of the tank. The bung is what the crossover tube goes onto that connects the two tanks. Only the drivers side tank is known to fail.

If what you are looking at falls into that VIN range then insure that the drivers side tank has been replaced. You can get the GMVIS and verify if that has happened. If not then I would run from the car. If the bung on the tank decides to fail at this point ( 10 year coverage has expired) you are looking at a $2500 and up repair bill.

Here is a link to the lengthy Forum thread about this issue:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...uel-leaks.html

And here is a link to a pic of a failed bung:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/albu...ictureid=42084
The one I'm looking at is 45122768, so it looks like it falls within that range. I'm going to take a look at it this afternoon.

Is that a repair that would show up on Carfax? The report I pulled didn't show any such repair.

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 question

Old 12-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Harley6
Instructor

Took a look at it this afternoon but didn't drive it because it was pouring here.

We gathered around a computer in the service dept. (it's GM dealer) and looked at all service records in the life of the car. No sign of work on the gas tank. There was a recall on the steering linkage that was fixed, and also a repair of the wobbly drivers seat.

When I told the sales manager that the gas tank issue is a big deal to me, he said they can't sell a car with a recall that hasn't been fixed.

Otherwise it's a very nice car. Could see only one tiny rock chip on the hood (although couldn't give exterior a thorough look because of the raindrops). Drivers seat shows wear on the left side but it's more of a scuff and not worn all the way through the leather like I've seen on others. And, given it was pouring out, it was easy to see that there were not any leaks.

Tires had a fair amount of life left but they definitely aren't brand new.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:39 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clarify, as much as I like it I'm NOT looking for a Z06. Just a good C5 coupe to drive while I'm in the Seattle area in the summers (im in AZ fall/winter/spring) with occasional sunny-day driving during the times I'm up there in the winter.

If you didn't know already, I guess you've found out that a lot of guys here find it hard to believe that all Corvette owners & prospective owners aren't obsessed with speed, drag racing, street racing, and doing burn-outs. Some of us are more than happy to buy a stock Corvette and maintain it's originality and just enjoy the great car as GM designed it.

Find you a good low mileage, well maintained C5 that hasn't been modded & abused, and there will be no looking back. You'll love everything about it.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:32 AM
Harley6
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
This was NOT a recall. If you referred to it as a recall you were NOT reading my earlier post. GM escaped with an easy solution for them and potential nightmare for owners of vehicles in that VIN Range. Here is a link to the page that contains a copy of the letter GM sent to owners of record back in late summer 2010:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-leaks-15.html

Scroll down to post #285. Print the letter and take it to the dealer. Of course he will not repair the tank and CAN sell the car unless the tank has the failure while he has it. "Special Coverage" instead of a "RECALL" of all vehicles in that vin range let GM off the hook very inexpensively.

If you want to take a chance, get the dealer to come down at least $2500 in his price to at least partially cover the repair cost when it does fail. Put the $2500 in the bank and don't touch it while you own the car EXCEPT to spend it for fuel tank replacement when it does fail.

What you do is your decisionto make. As I said in my earlier post, if it were me I would "RUN" from that car unless you are prepared for a possible expensive gas tank replacement and out of your pocket repair at a future time. JMHO

Good luck with your decision.
I value your advice here, and because of it my interest in this car has waned quite a bit because of the tank issue (and also tires, which I'm thinking would need replacing in a few years). And to clarify, I didn't refer to the tank as a recall. The sales manager is the one who stressed to me that they're required to fix any recall items that remain open. His point was that there was no recall on this, therefore it shouldn't be an issue. My point back to him was that it's a major concern of mine because the VIN falls within the spread of C5s produced with that crossover, and that I'm not even interested in driving it if there's no proof of it being fixed. I'm definitely not going to give up a pristine Mustang GT on the hope that the tank won't spring a leak.

I have you folks here to thank profusely for arming me with the info to raise some pointed questions as I looked at that car. Loved the LeMans Blue, the commemorative edition badging and the overall looks of the car. But thanks to you I wasn't blinded by those things so much that I overlooked some legitimate concerns.

Quick Reply: 2004 question