Sponsored by:

1997 C5 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:28 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1997 C5 cutting out

It's cold here today,about 35 degrees and ever time I push on the gas hard from a stop, my car is cutting out bad. I could cut my traction control off in the car was fine is this a normal problem? My car is at A4
Old 01-16-2015, 03:49 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Bump
Old 01-16-2015, 04:00 PM
JEH03Vette
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyman82768
Bump
Could be a dirty mass air flow sensor.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:04 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

How come its fine with the TC cut off?
Old 01-16-2015, 04:05 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Check codes and some of the easier stuff like air filter, maf sensor. Put some sea foam in gas.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:07 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

That still doesn't make since that's the car is fine with traction control off
Old 01-20-2015, 11:36 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to explain "cuts out" better. You also need to READ HOW/WHAT TC actually does.

There is only 1 REAL way TC works, it cuts power till wheels stop spinning, is that what's happening to you?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:21 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
You need to explain "cuts out" better. You also need to READ HOW/WHAT TC actually does.

There is only 1 REAL way TC works, it cuts power till wheels stop spinning, is that what's happening to you?
The power to the motor is cut back ,like going into reduced power mode without lights come on the dash or anything.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:25 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

The power to the motor is cut back ,like going into reduced power mode without lights come on the dash or anything.
Sounds like TC is doing it's job. Look at the display, I think it will say Traction Control Active when TC kicks in. I'm guessing your spinning your wheels with TC off?

Last edited by 3boystoys; 01-20-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:31 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Sounds like TC is doing it's job. Look at the display, I think it will say Traction Control Active when TC kicks in. I'm guessing your spinning your wheels with TC off?
No, the car just dosn't have any power pulling out hard with the TC on.
Not enough power to get out it's own way.
pulled these codes P1571 and P0719....
Old 01-20-2015, 03:48 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Well, you are having TC issues with those codes. I'll leave it to YOU to search on those codes so you can learn how to decipher these things.

I'll give you the 1st one, if it's your EBTCM, your kind of out of luck.
http://www.gmforum.com/obd-ii-troubl.../p1571-284177/

What kind and size tires you running???

Another interesting post on your year:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-97-c5.html

Sounds like your EBTCM may be sick and they don't make them anymore.

Last edited by 3boystoys; 01-20-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:02 PM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Well, you are having TC issues with those codes. I'll leave it to YOU to search on those codes so you can learn how to decipher these things.

I'll give you the 1st one, if it's your EBTCM, your kind of out of luck.
http://www.gmforum.com/obd-ii-troubl.../p1571-284177/

What kind and size tires you running???

Another interesting post on your year:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-97-c5.html

Sounds like your EBTCM may be sick and they don't make them anymore.
The problem I'm having shouldn't have anything to do with tires , had the tires on the car for a while.The problem just started out of the blue.
I have also posted in the tech section have some info coming in on that post also.Check it out see if you agree with them.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:05 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

The problem I'm having shouldn't have anything to do with tires , had the tires on the car for a while.The problem just started out of the blue.
I have also posted in the tech section have some info coming in on that post also.Check it out see if you agree with them.
Tires CAN have a BIG effect, especially as they were. Front and rear tires have to have at least 1/2" difference in diameter or it freaks out the TC.

Brake switch is an easy thing to try to fix the issue, hope that's what it is, the alternative isn't pretty.

Last edited by 3boystoys; 01-20-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:33 AM
ledesordre
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 1571 and it was a bad EBCM.. the module that attaches to the ABS unit.

Last edited by ledesordre; 01-21-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Tires CAN have a BIG effect, especially as they were. Front and rear tires have to have at least 1/2" difference in diameter or it freaks out the TC.

Brake switch is an easy thing to try to fix the issue, hope that's what it is, the alternative isn't pretty.

Good input on the tire sizes and TC. I didn't think about adding that into the analysis of his problems.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:27 AM
2vettes2go
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your fuel pressure, probably need a new fuel pump.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:34 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2vettes2go
check your fuel pressure, probably need a new fuel pump.
Huh??? Codes he's getting say otherwise.

Get notified of new replies

To 1997 C5 cutting out

Old 01-21-2015, 11:10 PM
Alley Oop
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

from Bill Curlee's post
IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION (Long!)

My 98 coupe would get the infamous "REDUCED ENGINE POWER", "TRACTION CONTROL FAILURE" and a host of random failure codes. After many, many hours of troubleshooting, replacing the BCM and TAC module, I solved most of the driveability issues. Still getting the random DTC failure codes, I thought that I may be having ground issues. Back in June I cleaned ALL of the chassis grounds and the car virtually stopped throwing the "RANDOM" DTC failure codes. Just moving the wires in the chassis ground connector was enough to change the indications and make the issues stop happening.

I had a chance to speak with some GM C5 Trouble Desk Engineers when I went to Bowling Green KY in April and they pointed out that MANY of the C5 electrical issues can be directly linked to chassis ground problems. The engineer even went as far as to recommending that I chop off the factory under hood chassis ground connectors and combine all of the wires into a single ground lug. Not wanting to just LOP off the factory connector, I took a chance and disassembled one of the ground plug connectors and to my surprise it was indeed full of corroded connections.
I strongly recommend that any C5 owner that has had or who are having electrical issues, examine and clean the chassis ground connectors. This may save you from needlessly replacing expensive electronics modules. Each ground connector can be disassembled and cleaned in about 20 min.

Just cleaning the metal ground connection between the chassis and the plug is only a band aid solution. Now that I look back, when I cleaned my chassis grounds and initially solved my issues, I believe that when the connector is being removed to clean the connection between chassis and the connector, just the wires being moved inside the plug is what changed the indications and made everything work better.
Disassembly of the chassis ground plug and cleaning the contacts inside the connector is the correct method of solving the issue!

I took some pictures of the under hood chassis ground connector and the corrosion that was in it. I cleaned the two connections on the frame rails and the left one was significantly corroded! Taking it apart and cleaning it is a very straight forward procedure and I believe that if you follow this recommendation, you will be on the way to solving the many of the electrical issues.

Here are some detailed pictures of the ground connector and the corrosion that was found inside it!

Picture of under hood Chassis Ground connector G-101
Old 01-22-2015, 04:34 AM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alley Oop
from Bill Curlee's post

My 98 coupe would get the infamous "REDUCED ENGINE POWER", "TRACTION CONTROL FAILURE" and a host of random failure codes. After many, many hours of troubleshooting, replacing the BCM and TAC module, I solved most of the driveability issues. Still getting the random DTC failure codes, I thought that I may be having ground issues. Back in June I cleaned ALL of the chassis grounds and the car virtually stopped throwing the "RANDOM" DTC failure codes. Just moving the wires in the chassis ground connector was enough to change the indications and make the issues stop happening.

I had a chance to speak with some GM C5 Trouble Desk Engineers when I went to Bowling Green KY in April and they pointed out that MANY of the C5 electrical issues can be directly linked to chassis ground problems. The engineer even went as far as to recommending that I chop off the factory under hood chassis ground connectors and combine all of the wires into a single ground lug. Not wanting to just LOP off the factory connector, I took a chance and disassembled one of the ground plug connectors and to my surprise it was indeed full of corroded connections.
I strongly recommend that any C5 owner that has had or who are having electrical issues, examine and clean the chassis ground connectors. This may save you from needlessly replacing expensive electronics modules. Each ground connector can be disassembled and cleaned in about 20 min.

Just cleaning the metal ground connection between the chassis and the plug is only a band aid solution. Now that I look back, when I cleaned my chassis grounds and initially solved my issues, I believe that when the connector is being removed to clean the connection between chassis and the connector, just the wires being moved inside the plug is what changed the indications and made everything work better.
Disassembly of the chassis ground plug and cleaning the contacts inside the connector is the correct method of solving the issue!

I took some pictures of the under hood chassis ground connector and the corrosion that was in it. I cleaned the two connections on the frame rails and the left one was significantly corroded! Taking it apart and cleaning it is a very straight forward procedure and I believe that if you follow this recommendation, you will be on the way to solving the many of the electrical issues.

Here are some detailed pictures of the ground connector and the corrosion that was found inside it!

Awesome, I will definitely do this. THANKS
Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 AM
chevyman82768
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alley Oop
from Bill Curlee's post

No pics

Quick Reply: 1997 C5 cutting out