Sponsored by:

Safelite Auto Glass

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Safelite Auto Glass

Lets re-visit the subject of windshields for a bit....

I called Safelite on behalf of my daughter who currently had her windshield crack all the way across from her defroster on the past couple -12 mornings.
2008 Pontiac Grand something something, no HUD tinted blackout upper at the mirror, blaa, blaa, blaa.... $310 installed out the door, OEE. Another $35 if they have to do it out in the field. Blaa, blaa, blaa.

The gal from Safelite had been a little chatty and wasn't in any hurry to get off the phone. When she asked "is there anything else", I figured "What the Hell, How much for a 2001 Vette convertible w/HUD.
Mine has a couple of repaired chips in it. Down low on the passenger side, but the overall condition is some what rock blasted and I would love to replace it. But for the price to do so, it's not high on the list.
I was given the answer I had expected, over $1200 installed. Pretty much comparable to every where else. Then she stated "too bad you have the HUD. The other one is only $232 installed out the door."

Boom. Decision is made. Once winter is over with here in Nebraska, little girl gets a new piece of glass. The HUD is one option I doubt I would miss if it wasn't there. I've heard opinions on this from "Its a little Blurry" to " Can't tell the difference" when using a non-HUD windshield. Honestly though, for $1,000 I'm good with risking it. worse case scenario still isn't that bad.

Safelite has done numerous vehicles for us over the years so I don't have a trust issue with them. I'm cheap enough that I don't pay the $35 "come to me" fee anyway. They've always been cool with me hanging around while they do the work in the past. All parts & labor are warrantied.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:25 PM
muntzwagon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine from dealer who had taken it in from original owner trading in on a C7 - only thing wrong with the car I could find was that the HUD doesn't work. I am wondering if this is the culprit. A mechanic friend had mentioned that it was possible if it was replaced with the wrong windshield that it wouldn't work.

I'm with you on it - I negotiated an extra $500 off because of that when I was buying but drove off not really to concerned about not having it!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:35 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

A non-working HUD has nothing to do with the windshield glass. I would be checking fuses or the BCM. Is the brightness **** turned all the way off? It works just like the cash lights dimmer.

Glad I have ACV (no deductible) for Comprehensive coverage on my '02. All it takes is one crack from something tossed up on the freeway and a new (and free ) windshield will be on the way.

At our shop we use Safelite exclusively and there is no $35 extra fee for installs. We do let the Safelite guy use an area in the shop when possible, especially if it's raining or real cold. The urethane sealant sits up quicker and holds better.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Drummingdad
Lets re-visit the subject of windshields for a bit.....
-------
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my '02 Coupe. My windshield has wiper haze that bothers me, but not so much I'm ready to spend $1200 to fix it. Once you get the new non-HUD windshield, I'd appreciate you updating the thread with how the HUD display reflects. BTW, I lived near Omaha for over 8 years starting in the mid-80's, so I know how brutal Nebraska winters can be; stay warm!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:30 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Used Safelight with dealer Nelson Glass here in Phoenix - - -didn't cost me a nickel since it's generally apart of all insurance coverage here . . .seems odd to have to pay for a windshield- are you sure it's not covered?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not every insurance policy covers windshield replacement at no deductible. On my policy for the DD, I have a $100 comprehensive deductible - but if it is a rock chip, then it is repaired for no charge.

I too have heard that even with the non-HUD windshield the display will work just fine. Hopefully the OP will update the thread to give his review of how well it works.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:23 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Comes down to personal preference, as do most things. Every car I have ever driven that has had HUD, and that has been a lot of cars, I turned it off. I just find it annoying and distracting.

The only exception was when I did some track time at Spring Mountain in a C7 - I found it to be helpful there - but on the street, no thanks.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:34 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I just had the HUD windshield in my 2004 vert replaced by Safelite. Per my request, they ordered a GM HUD replacement windshield through a local dealership. It took them about 3 hours including the recommended hour for the new seal to bond. It came out great. No leaks or wind noise and the glass is crystal clear. $1280 installed and paid in full by my insurance due to Florida law.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:56 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I had the windshield on a Pontiac Grand Prix of mine replaced that did have the HUD. I replaced the glass with the none HUD version. The HUD still worked, but sometimes you could not see the mph due to sunlight.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:27 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Did the same to my '04Z last January, did it in their shop and let me tell you its a lot of work. All the top side sills have to be removed even. Came out great, never a leak, HUD works great.

Windshield's come under the Comprehensive part of your insurance (flying debris) so check it and see if you have a deductible or not.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:16 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I got my 04 Coupe in Dec. 2010. I can count on both hands the number of times I used the HUD. If and when it's windshield time for me I'm taking the Non-HUD Glass route !
Old 01-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Not4spd
I had the windshield on a Pontiac Grand Prix of mine replaced that did have the HUD. I replaced the glass with the none HUD version. The HUD still worked, but sometimes you could not see the mph due to sunlight.
My wife's car is a Grand Prix and the PO had a non-HUD windshield installed. It's convinced me to always replace with a HUD windshield. As a ghetto stopgap measure, one could stick on a piece of tint where the HUD shines like the made in China aftermarket HUDs use. I live in CO where windshields are consumable so for me the extra $month is worth it.3
Old 01-18-2015, 09:59 AM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will keep everyone posted when I get it switched out. Keep in mind this could be anywhere from March to May.
I do have comp, and in the past, if I can get the windshield replaced or $232 against a potential $12-1500 claim, they've been good about picking up the whole tab. My windshield now has 2 repaired rock chips. These don't mess with my OCD too bad and will probably be just fine. If they were to crack out and connect the dots. I could claim it on insurance. Also the windshield according to the who-ever safety council only allows 2 chips before the screen is deemed unsafe. 3 and its out. Apparently

As far as the HUD goes, I drive so many other vehicles that don't have it, I am so used to looking down at the in dash speedometer. Or, it's open highway and cruise control or in town traffic and driving with the flow. Rarely look down.
I would still like it to function properly as it is a feature of the car. Cool factor if you please. Resale value and all.

Get notified of new replies

To Safelite Auto Glass

Quick Reply: Safelite Auto Glass