Headlamp Bulb Replacement/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 04:08 PM
04SeaFive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Headlamp Bulb Replacement/Upgrade

I want to install brighter headlamps in my '04 Convertible. I've found LED, Xenon, Halogen HID, and Halogen non-HID replacement lamps, some have ballasts or other conversion parts, and some claim to be just plug and play replacement bulbs. There are several different wattages and different ranges of K (what is the K range?)

I'm confused and would appreciate some guidance on the best simple solution for brighter lights that is easy to install and will work well with my car, and doesn't cost a fortune.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:41 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by 04SeaFive
I want to install brighter headlamps in my '04 Convertible. I've found LED, Xenon, Halogen HID, and Halogen non-HID replacement lamps, some have ballasts or other conversion parts, and some claim to be just plug and play replacement bulbs. There are several different wattages and different ranges of K (what is the K range?)

I'm confused and would appreciate some guidance on the best simple solution for brighter lights that is easy to install and will work well with my car, and doesn't cost a fortune.
If you are looking for a nice upgrade over stock without going full out HID projector lights, I can recommend what I did: PIAA Extreme White Plus headlights and Philips 893 CrystalVision driving lights.

Definitely an improvement that you will notice. However, I do not do much driving at night. If I did, I would be in on the radioflyer set up for sure.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...332&cc=1368356
Try these for 20 bucks. They might just be good enough for you.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:59 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
If you are looking for a nice upgrade over stock without going full out HID projector lights, I can recommend what I did: PIAA Extreme White Plus headlights and Philips 893 CrystalVision driving lights.

Definitely an improvement that you will notice. However, I do not do much driving at night. If I did, I would be in on the radioflyer set up for sure.
It's not that hard to replace the existing bulbs with PIAA, Phillips, or Sylvania SilverStars, any of which will give you improved lighting without worrying about the OEM wiring being up to the task.

I did the Radioflyer ACA/HID upgrade this summer and I am very pleased with the HUGE improvement in lighting. One thing I had found with the original lap housings was that the right side high beam socket was molded incorrectly and the high beam was pointed a full 5 FEET higher at 25 feet than the left side.

The Radioflyer kit comes with new ACA lamp housings and they are perfect in terms of left and right side alignment. The other thing that came in the kit was the "Hi-4" solenoid so that when I turn on the high beams, the low beams stay on. Now, because that particular solenoid can be found in kit form, I would highly recommend that if you aren't going with a HID conversion. Summit Racing has them from Painless Wiring.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:11 PM
joe's98
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
It's not that hard to replace the existing bulbs with PIAA, Phillips, or Sylvania SilverStars, any of which will give you improved lighting without worrying about the OEM wiring being up to the task.

I did the Radioflyer ACA/HID upgrade this summer and I am very pleased with the HUGE improvement in lighting. One thing I had found with the original lap housings was that the right side high beam socket was molded incorrectly and the high beam was pointed a full 5 FEET higher at 25 feet than the left side.

The Radioflyer kit comes with new ACA lamp housings and they are perfect in terms of left and right side alignment. The other thing that came in the kit was the "Hi-4" solenoid so that when I turn on the high beams, the low beams stay on. Now, because that particular solenoid can be found in kit form, I would highly recommend that if you aren't going with a HID conversion. Summit Racing has them from Painless Wiring.
I was able to get mine through Radio Flyer. Very easy install.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:16 PM
xs-style
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried sylvanias zxe line with our cars? I work pt for an auto parts store. We had a customer swap in a set in his silverado in the parking lot. It was a huge difference. At 60 dollars a pair its not super cheap, but it is more budget minded than the radioflyer or jm setups.

Last edited by xs-style; 01-24-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:52 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by 04SeaFive
...There are several different wattages and different ranges of K (what is the K range?)...
Light color is measured on a temperature scale referred to as Kelvin (K). Lower Kelvin numbers mean the light appears more yellow; higher Kelvin numbers mean the light is whiter or bluer.

Sent from my DROID TURBO XT1254 using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Obviously there are plenty of options depending on how much you want to spend. Change the bulbs, change the entire system...

There is a thread on putting high beam bulbs into the low beam lights. It requires a little trimming and I'm going to try this route first.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ms-suck-2.html
Old 01-25-2015, 12:00 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with 9011/9012 HIR bulbs and a Hi-4 harness, which turns on all four bulbs when you switch on your hi beams. The HIR bulbs are brighter than Silverstars, and made a big improvement over the stock bulbs. If you do a lot of night driving, your best bet would be install either the Radioflyer projectors, or the European OEM headlights, which have glass lenses and a single 90/130 watt low/high bulb. Both of these options cost around $600. For the limited amount of night driving I do, the HIR bulbs are fine.

Hi-4 Harness:
http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...?categoryId=-1

9011/9012 HIR bulbs:
http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

Modifying 9011/9012 to fit for 9005/9006
Old 01-25-2015, 01:36 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

One thing to consider...the higher in "power" you go with a OEM style replacement the less hour usage you get out of it. Something to consider if you do a lot of night driving.

I'm not the author of this comparison, just found the info on the interweb.

Any of the blue-glass "extra white" bulbs are an absolute nonstarter as far as seeing better is concerned. Sylvania Silverstar/Ultra, PIAA, Hoen, BlueVision, CrystalVision, TruView, Nokya, Polarg, etc. -- all a scam. Such bulbs produce significantly less light than even a standard bulb, so we'll start our comparison with standard bulbs.

Osram Silverstar, Narva Rangepower+50, and Philips VisionPlus are all "Plus+50" H7 bulbs. Philips Xtreme Power and Osram Night Breaker are both "Plus+80"/"Plus+90" bulbs. They are, as a class, the best 55w H7s you can buy. But, Osram offers (and I stock) an even better option with higher output and longer life. Here is the comparison (figures at 13.2 volts):

Standard H7:
55w, 1500 lumens, 500 hours

H7 ultra "Plus+50" (any brand):
55w, 1580 lumens, 225 hours

H7 Xtreme "Plus+80" (Philips) or "Plus+90" (Osram):
55w, 1620 lumens, 200 hours

H7 rallye+65 (Osram only):
65w, 2100 lumens, 500 hours, obvious choice.

The extra 10w is of no consequence as far as electrical power or heat --
those 80w to 100w bulbs are a different story, and they produce less light
and have a shorter lifespan than the Osram 65w item.

Here is some more detailed info:

For reference, here's manufacturer data, from internal engineering databases, for output and lifespan at 13.2v for standard-wattage H1 bulbs. The numbers here are a composite of values applicable to the products of the big three makers (Osram-Sylvania, Philips-Narva, Tungsram-GE). Each manufacturer's product in each category is slightly different but not significantly so. I picked H1-type bulbs for this comparison, and while the absolute numbers differ with different bulb types, the relative comparison patterns hold good for whatever bulb type you consider. Lifespan is given as Tc, the hour figure at which 63.2 percent of the bulbs have failed.

H1 (regular normal): 1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life (or "HalogenPlus+") 1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Plus-30 High Efficacy (Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva Rangepower, Candlepower Bright Light, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium): 1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar): 1750 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-80/90 Mega High Efficacy (Philips Xtreme Power, Osram Night Breaker): 1780 lumens, 340 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra, which is just a rebrand of the Silverstar product, also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, etc): 1380 lumens, 250 hours
Old 01-25-2015, 03:30 PM
innerconx
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I stuck some ZXE's in both the hi and low beams - pretty marked difference over stock. Nice bright and white - not as white as the LED's on my Jeep - but they will fit the bill for this car - closest thing
I've seen to HID's

Originally Posted by xs-style
Has anyone tried sylvanias zxe line with our cars? I work pt for an auto parts store. We had a customer swap in a set in his silverado in the parking lot. It was a huge difference. At 60 dollars a pair its not super cheap, but it is more budget minded than the radioflyer or jm setups.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:45 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SG Lou
One thing to consider...the higher in "power" you go with a OEM style replacement the less hour usage you get out of it. Something to consider if you do a lot of night driving.

Any of the blue-glass "extra white" bulbs are an absolute nonstarter as far as seeing better is concerned. Sylvania Silverstar/Ultra, PIAA, Hoen, BlueVision, CrystalVision, TruView, Nokya, Polarg, etc. -- all a scam. Such bulbs produce significantly less light than even a standard bulb, so we'll start our comparison with standard bulbs.

Osram Silverstar, Narva Rangepower+50, and Philips VisionPlus are all "Plus+50" H7 bulbs. Philips Xtreme Power and Osram Night Breaker are both "Plus+80"/"Plus+90" bulbs. They are, as a class, the best 55w H7s you can buy. But, Osram offers (and I stock) an even better option with higher output and longer life. Here is the comparison (figures at 13.2 volts):

Standard H7:

For reference, here's manufacturer data, from internal engineering databases, for output and lifespan at 13.2v for standard-wattage H1 bulbs. The numbers here are a composite of values applicable to the products of the big three makers (Osram-Sylvania, Philips-Narva, Tungsram-GE). Each manufacturer's product in each category is slightly different but not significantly so. I picked H1-type bulbs for this comparison, and while the absolute numbers differ with different bulb types, the relative comparison patterns hold good for whatever bulb type you consider. Lifespan is given as Tc, the hour figure at which 63.2 percent of the bulbs have failed.

Plus-30 High Efficacy (Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva Rangepower, Candlepower Bright Light, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium): 1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar): 1750 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-80/90 Mega High Efficacy (Philips Xtreme Power, Osram Night Breaker): 1780 lumens, 340 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra, which is just a rebrand of the Silverstar product, also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, etc): 1380 lumens, 250 hours
How do these compare to the 9011/9012 HIR bulbs?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 PM
innerconx
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Isn't that an article written over 10 years ago in 2005?
Just saying.

Originally Posted by SG Lou

Standard H7:

Old 01-25-2015, 10:15 PM
dhfva63
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the HIR 9011/9012 as well. Purchased the set from Candlepower. Easy to modify and install, much better light than stock. I did install the Hi4 relay as well, lows stay on when highs are on. Very easy to install, something like 70% more lumens then stock, and much longer life.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by innerconx
Isn't that an article written over 10 years ago in 2005?
Just saying.
I dunno if it was or not...I'm just pointing out what I have heard and read. If things have changed and they last longer then fine. I, for one, would not spend $60 for a pair of bulbs only to have to replace them every couple of years.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:29 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

$60 is a small price to pay for being able to drive safely at night for "a few years".
Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM
JBird3
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the Hi-4 relay work with stock bulbs? Upgrading bulbs and using the relay would be perfect for me if it functions. I don't see why it wouldn't but I'd love to be sure before ordering.

Last edited by JBird3; 01-26-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlamp Bulb Replacement/Upgrade

Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Yes it does. Basically, you tap into the engine compartment fuse box to add a relay that switches on the low beams when the high beam circuit is switched on. Very simple installation and no cutting of existing wires.

Edit: Here's a link for Radioflyer's Hi-4 harness. If you click on the picture in the link, there are installation instructions.

http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...?categoryId=-1

Last edited by john8642; 01-27-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

In regards to your statement about the original lamp housing, both of my housings for high beams must share the same flaw. I posted a thread asking about this issue awhile back and only received reply's that I must have installed bulbs incorrectly, Not!. Upon using my high beams it illuminates lower branches of trees as if I'm looking for owls. So I am basically relegated to only using my low beams. Thanks for your comment on this issue, I thought I was going nuts and was the only one experiencing this issue.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:19 PM
DaveOstrow
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Osrams in a c5?

I have a 2004 C5 I'd like brighter headlights in. Are these osram lights the ticket? How much are they and how do you and I connect so that I can buy them from you?

Dave

Quick Reply: Headlamp Bulb Replacement/Upgrade