Tire Question for First time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Question for First time buyer

Hello everyone!

first off i'd like to say i'm sorry for posting another thread about tires as I know there are already tons of threads out there. However I can't seem to find the right answer to my question. Also this is my first time buying performance tires so i'm new to the whole performance tire world (this is my first new set i'll be buying for my vette)

I'm looking into buying some new C7 Z06 Rims that are custom built for the C5 fitment (17inchX9.5inch front - 18inchX10.5inch rear)
The shop that is selling the tires was telling me they also offer a tire package with the rim so I asked and he let me know that the tires were Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport in the following sizes
(2) 265/40/17
(2) 295/35/18

now they rear tires seem fine to me but I tried researching why the bigger front tires and not just the stock 245/45 size?....I guess i'm just not experienced enough but what does a bigger front tire do for me? does it help with handling? or better traction?

P.S. - I also do freeway driving with grooved roads so will a wider front tire give more or less of that pulling feeling while driving, like the tires want to follow the grooves more or not...

Thank you for any advice guys!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:36 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Make sure the rear tires are 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches larger in diameter than the fronts or it will screw up Traction Control.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

The stock 245/45-17 is for a 17x8.5 rim. Since you're going to a 17x9.5 front, they are recommending a wider front tire. Same with the rears. Stock is 275/40-18 for an 18x9.5, and you're going to an 18x10.5.

"Bigger" fronts isn't really the right term, you can just say "wider" as the overall height will be about the same. And a wider front tire will give you better handling.

Those wheel and tire sizes are OEM C5 Z06 dimensions.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The tire sizes they are recommending will fit perfectly on those size wheels. As the poster above said, the wheel sizes are the same as a C5 Z06 as are the tires.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:10 AM
John Madeja
Racer

ok so "wider" tires not bigger lol thanks for the correction, like I said i'm new to this and not very mechanicky so to speak so I still catch myself all the time using the wrong terms

But if they give better handling then that is something I would definantly be interested in then rather then saving a few bucks.

does anyone know though whether or not the wider tires will be more affected by grooves in the pavement or less affect on that? the reason i ask is because it can just get kinda annoying when your driving on the freeway and your car feels like its being pulled left and right a lot. or is that more of like what type of tread is on the tire and could change from differing tire tread patterns and is not really based on size.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:08 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by John Madeja
ok so "wider" tires not bigger lol thanks for the correction, like I said i'm new to this and not very mechanicky so to speak so I still catch myself all the time using the wrong terms

But if they give better handling then that is something I would definantly be interested in then rather then saving a few bucks.

does anyone know though whether or not the wider tires will be more affected by grooves in the pavement or less affect on that? the reason i ask is because it can just get kinda annoying when your driving on the freeway and your car feels like its being pulled left and right a lot. or is that more of like what type of tread is on the tire and could change from differing tire tread patterns and is not really based on size.
I believe you're referring to "tracking"

Yes, wider tires and lower profile tires (smaller sidewall) will tend to "track" more. I would say it's a small side effect for a better handling car. You may not notice much of a difference going from a 245/45 to a 265/40. When I get out of my truck with tall sidewalls and get into the Z06 that has low profile tires, I can feel a huge difference.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

Originally Posted by ZF Six
I believe you're referring to "tracking"

Yes, wider tires and lower profile tires (smaller sidewall) will tend to "track" more. I would say it's a small side effect for a better handling car. You may not notice much of a difference going from a 245/45 to a 265/40. When I get out of my truck with tall sidewalls and get into the Z06 that has low profile tires, I can feel a huge difference.

I have had base and Z06 model C5s and the Z06 was not appreciably different as far as tendency to tramline.

In my opinion both are significanly "worse" than the average sedan but not different from each other. You likely won't notice a difference and just part of the price you pay with a sports car.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.TT

I have had base and Z06 model C5s and the Z06 was not appreciably different as far as tendency to tramline.

In my opinion both are significanly "worse" than the average sedan but not different from each other. You likely won't notice a difference and just part of the price you pay with a sports car.
Thank you guys so much for the advice it is nice to be apart of this forum
Old 01-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by John Madeja
Thank you guys so much for the advice it is nice to be apart of this forum
So John just an FYI, you are ok with those tires wheel combo. Some of us are not just a pretty face ... some of us are worthy of giving good advice too...
Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
So John just an FYI, you are ok with those tires wheel combo. Some of us are not just a pretty face ... some of us are worthy of giving good advice too...
Im happy with that combo i just wanted to make sure i knew what i was getting....i dont like jumping in to find out i wasted a good chunk of money or time....it happens but i try to avoid the uncertain lol
Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wider tires will overall have better traction and handling.

The front tire traction makes a significant difference in braking, since when you brake, a lot of the weight shifts to the front of the car, and obviously wider front tires help with cornering, as it allows the steer tires to get better grip.

In general, wider tires will "track" more like previously mentioned, and will be a bit more tricky in the rain (and snow... but you really shouldn't drive a C5 in the snow!). When I upgraded to wider tires I could tell that the rear of the car is less stable in the rain. No big deal, and not dangerous unless you're doing something stupid, but something to be aware of.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:14 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55
Wider tires will overall have better traction and handling.

The front tire traction makes a significant difference in braking, since when you brake, a lot of the weight shifts to the front of the car, and obviously wider front tires help with cornering, as it allows the steer tires to get better grip.

In general, wider tires will "track" more like previously mentioned, and will be a bit more tricky in the rain (and snow... but you really shouldn't drive a C5 in the snow!). When I upgraded to wider tires I could tell that the rear of the car is less stable in the rain. No big deal, and not dangerous unless you're doing something stupid, but something to be aware of.
Thanks for the heads up about the rain, and yeah since I live in Michigan I don't drive it in the winter not necessarily because of the snow so much (although it doesn't go anywhere moving wise in snow anyways) but because of all the salt that is on the roads that doesn't get washed off by rain....
Old 01-27-2015, 08:01 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The tire sizes they are recommending will fit perfectly on those size wheels. As the poster above said, the wheel sizes are the same as a C5 Z06 as are the tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Question for First time buyer

Quick Reply: Tire Question for First time buyer