A/C belt help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM
wardamncorvette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default A/C belt help

Having trouble getting belt back on after repacking bearings in the AC idler. I am convinced this belt will not go back on the car... Anyone else have this issue? I read something somewhere where someone bought a belt that was 1 inch longer and it was able to fit.

This AC belt and idler pulley repair has been the biggest PITA I've experienced since owning a c5.

Last edited by wardamncorvette; 01-26-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I feel your pain, I just went through this today. I was also convinced that the belt was the wrong size, but I verified it with the belt that was already on it and it was the same length.

Make sure to alight the belt perfectly on the crank, the compressor, and the tensioner. Then push the tensioner down and push the belt down under the top pulley. You have to be careful when trying to push the belt under the pulley because as you try to maneuver it under the pulley, it will get out of alignment on the crank and/or the compressor. You basically have to force it under the pulley wile trying to keep everything in alignment. It is a huge PITA but it will just fall into place after many tries.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by wardamncorvette
Having trouble getting belt back on after repacking bearings in the AC idler. I am convinced this belt will not go back on the car... Anyone else have this issue? I read something somewhere where someone bought a belt that was 1 inch longer and it was able to fit.

This AC belt and idler pulley repair has been the biggest PITA I've experienced since owning a c5.
Not that its relevant to your problem... you cant repack the pulley bearings.. first of all it requires a very " Special " high heat and High RPM rating, this grease is extremely expensive 40 dollars a pint can. its not wheel bearing grease.. that you can by for 4 dollars a can.
Cy Joint and wheel bearing grease sees 800 rpm and heat in the 120F range.. pulleys run at 5000 plus rpm and heat in excess of 160 /180 F. Both bearing for the idler and tensioner are the same. Cost of the correct NEW bearings is under 40 dollars for both.

you are wasting your time and money using the wrong grease... also without putting a new seal in a old bearing.. ( replacement seals are not available... ) the slightest deformation will cause the grease to leak out,, high speed pulley grease sees 160/180 F temps, when wheel bearing grease sees 120 F.. put that in a high speed engine pulley bearing and it will turn to water and with a deformed seal it will run out over time..

AS far as the belt goes, a proper length belt will go on the pulley set, you just need to pry it on using a small tire iron or drift key. the belt has to be buried deep in the crank pulley and over the tensioner, then you just pry the belt over the idler..
I've done this for a few friends and on my own car and the whole job took less than a half hour..

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-26-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Not that its relevant to your problem... you cant repack the pulley bearings.. first of all it requires a very " Special " high heat and High RPM rating, this grease is extremely expensive 40 dollars a pint can. its not wheel bearing grease.. that you can by for 4 dollars a can.
Cy Joint and wheel bearing grease sees 800 rpm and heat in the 120F range.. pulleys run at 5000 plus rpm and heat in excess of 160 /180 F. Both bearing for the idler and tensioner are the same. Cost of the correct NEW bearings is under 40 dollars for both.

you are wasting your time and money using the wrong grease... also without putting a new seal in a old bearing.. ( replacement seals are not available... ) the slightest deformation will cause the grease to leak out,, high speed pulley grease sees 160/180 F temps, when wheel bearing grease sees 120 F.. put that in a high speed engine pulley bearing and it will turn to water and with a deformed seal it will run out over time..
...waste of time. Just install new ones if the old ones are causing problems. Fix it right the first time.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:49 PM
wardamncorvette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

AS far as the belt goes, a proper length belt will go on the pulley set, you just need to pry it on using a small tire iron or drift key. the belt has to be buried deep in the crank pulley and over the tensioner, then you just pry the belt over the idler..
I've done this for a few friends and on my own car and the whole job took less than a half hour..

The reason why I did this was because my main idler pulley started squeaking bad. I then went to autozone and they didn't have the right pulley (the belt tensioner one doesn't fit with the dust shield and everything). Same with oRiley's, Napa, and advance. So I got to thinking and repacked the bearings with the 5$ lithium grease in a can. It's been like this for 2 weeks and it's been fine. So I did the same with the AC pulley as well because it too was squeaking. There is zero squeaking coming from my car right now. I also installed a gatorback belt.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

The pullies will work if you don't install the dust shield.I was told that it wasn't required as the pulley has a sealed bearing.No issues with mine after about 6k miles.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:04 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

The reason why I did this was because my main idler pulley started squeaking bad. I then went to autozone and they didn't have the right pulley (the belt tensioner one doesn't fit with the dust shield and everything). Same with oRiley's, Napa, and advance. So I got to thinking and repacked the bearings with the 5$ lithium grease in a can. It's been like this for 2 weeks and it's been fine. So I did the same with the AC pulley as well because it too was squeaking. There is zero squeaking coming from my car right now. I also installed a gatorback belt.
Let us know if (and when) the squeaking returns with your repacked idler pulleys. I, for one, would be curious to know.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

FYI you can buy GM replacements for under $30 on Amazon. I don't know why people fool around with the aftermarket stuff that won't take the dust covers when you can buy OEMs for a few dollars more.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
FYI you can buy GM replacements for under $30 on Amazon. I don't know why people fool around with the aftermarket stuff that won't take the dust covers when you can buy OEMs for a few dollars more.
Sometimes spending a little bit more can save a whole lot of aggravation.

OP - hope what you did works well for you, but if not, just get the OEM part.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:24 PM
Vulcan73
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know this thread is three years old but it remains open so here's my version of replacing the A/C belt on the C5:

A/C belt replacement: From above, route belt so it is on TOP of tensioner's lower wheel. Get under car, if car is auto, remove clip (10mm bolt) that supports transmission fluid lines (located on oil sump pan). With these lines loosened, put a 15mm open wrench on tensioner's wheel bolt, push clockwise so the tensioner wheel is at max (spring loaded) down position. With a small jack (scissor/hydraulic), place under the wrench's free end and crank up so the wrench is held in position. Go to top of engine compartment and lube the belt where it just touches the idler wheel (a dab of coolant/grease works OK). Place an open end wrench (1/2”-3/4”) over the belt pushing it down while wiggling it under the idler wheel. Belt should easily slip under the wheel but it might take a few attempts. Go back under the car, check to ensure the belt is fully engaged into the A/C compressor and harmonic balancer groves, remove the jack and wrench. Replace the transmission fluid line clip. With all tools handy, this job should take 30-45 minutes.

In my case ('98 with 127K miles), the entire tensioner assembly needed replacement as the bushing that holds the bracket to the engine deteriorated. The wheel became out of alignment causing the belt to slip off and shred.

While under the car replacing the bracket, I was pelted with small drops of coolant. Wonderful....leaking water pump. I completed the A/C belt replacement then removed the water pump, top and bottom radiator hoses. I replaced the water pump, gaskets, upper and lower hoses. Total time for the pump project was 5 hours. Could have been much less if I did not replace hoses and flush the coolant.

In April 2018 dollars, the total project cost me $317 with parts (belt, hoses, tensioner bracket, water pump, coolant) acquired locally at O'Reilly and NAPA stores.

Last edited by Vulcan73; 04-25-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:37 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Glad the dealer is doing mine today - for a princely $360
Old 04-26-2018, 03:31 PM
1997 C5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

what is the part number for the ac idler pulley & ac belt tensioner pulley? Where can I buy them? Are they OEM?
Old 04-27-2018, 02:05 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

I replaced my a/c and main drive idlers and tensioners, got all 4 at Pep Boys with 25% off ordering online and picking up in the store.

I think they were Dayco no slack.

I think I got all 4 for a tad over 100 bucks.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:45 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Old 05-03-2018, 08:05 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

I did have a problem with the main idler pulley, it started making a squeaking noise while on my road trip to California and left me stranded on my way home on I10 eastbound in the middle of nowhere.

That pulley and bolt and dust shields flew off, one of the dust shields was still on mounting boss.

Got a expensive tow into Blythe California autozone and had to MacGyver a Tahoe pulley, and a bolt and big washer from the "help!" section of bolts etc.

Once home I ordered AC Delco idler pully kit off Amazon 65-70 bucks, had pulley both shields and bolt.

Pep Boys kept emailing me wanting me to give a review of the very part that flew off car, as if the manufacturer knew there is a issue, I never told Pep Boys of the failure/breakdown either, so of out of 4 parts bought they asked more than once to review the one I had trouble with as if they were psychic, hmm... lol

That was September and all other pullies and AC Delco main idler kit is doing fine roughly 6000 miles later.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

I did mine a few months ago. Took about 45 minuets. I went at it from the bottom with long extensions and swivels. Not a hard job if you don't mind rolling around the garage. Put an AC tensioner and a gatorback in. The idler was still good, so I didn't touch it. In a previous post someone said they are sealed bearings. That is not true. If you remove one side of the seal, you will clearly see the rollers. I have lubed idler pulley bearings with great success in the past. I did not do it on the Vette as I don't want to patch things. Just me .02c
Old 05-04-2018, 10:42 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc508520
Glad the dealer is doing mine today - for a princely $360
Sure hope you picked up a tube of lube.....Usually on has to buy dinner and flowers to have done to you as the above.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C belt help

Quick Reply: A/C belt help