Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be careful on Craigslist - You could lose your life!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Be careful on Craigslist - You could lose your life!

I'm sure many have already heard the sad story about the elderly Georgia couple who had placed an ad on Craigslist looking for a vintage Mustang, only to be allegedly murdered by the supposed seller who had responded to their ad & lured them to a rural location in south Georgia. Turns out the alleged killer didn't even own a Mustang, and robbed & killed them for the money they had brought to buy the car.

Just be careful out there. There are crazy folks capable of heinous crimes in all walks of life, even "car people" or those claiming to be car people.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...uth/ar-AA8DTil
Old 01-28-2015, 12:18 PM
RET
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very sad when people think life is less important than money.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:21 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I have bought and sold many items on craigslist but I know better and am armed every single time I meet someone and if I get any hint of sketchyness then I just quit communicating with them, it isn't worth the small amount of money to me... it just sucks that there are such sh*tty people out there these days and they always seem to prey on defenseless victims... I know it is impossible to put an end to these crimes which would be the best solution but since that can't happen it makes you wish it would happen to people more prepared and maybe we would have one less criminal like that to deal with and slowly but surely that would make this world a better place to live in
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
I have bought and sold many items on craigslist but I know better and am armed every single time I meet someone and if I get any hint of sketchyness then I just quit communicating with them, it isn't worth the small amount of money to me... it just sucks that there are such sh*tty people out there these days and they always seem to prey on defenseless victims... I know it is impossible to put an end to these crimes which would be the best solution but since that can't happen it makes you wish it would happen to people more prepared and maybe we would have one less criminal like that to deal with and slowly but surely that would make this world a better place to live in
Local couple. Thank God they caught the bad guy. It's just sad to see what evil exists in the world!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

they may have caught him but our legal system won't do what should be done to him and most other criminals for that matter... they won't execute these scumbags because it's "inhumane" but yeah it's soooo humane for criminals to rob, rape, and murder innocent people... there is no justice system anymore, it's more like wile e coyote and the road runner... they eventually catch them then end up letting them go, almost like our judicial system wants this stuff to keep happening so they aren't out of a job
Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

they may have caught him but our legal system won't do what should be done to him and most other criminals for that matter... they won't execute these scumbags because it's "inhumane" but yeah it's soooo humane for criminals to rob, rape, and murder innocent people... there is no justice system anymore, it's more like wile e coyote and the road runner... they eventually catch them then end up letting them go, almost like our judicial system wants this stuff to keep happening so they aren't out of a job
Is the legal system that bad in Georgia?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:09 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm sure it's not much different than the rest of the states... granted I don't live there and tx is a little more lenient when it comes to defending yourself but stories just like this one are all over the place from all over the country and far too often the crook gets off way too easy... if you are one of those that is against defending yourself I hope you never encounter one of these criminals, and if you did you may feel differently about the situation
Old 01-28-2015, 01:21 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

I'm sure it's not much different than the rest of the states... granted I don't live there and tx is a little more lenient when it comes to defending yourself but stories just like this one are all over the place from all over the country and far too often the crook gets off way too easy... if you are one of those that is against defending yourself I hope you never encounter one of these criminals, and if you did you may feel differently about the situation
The guy, if guilty, will spend the rest of his life in prison or will get the chair. They do have the death penalty in Georgia. To believe otherwise is ridiculous.
This isn't about defending oneself, it's about the murder of an elderly couple by a dirtbag redneck loser.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

with you, Neutron82...this country is so concerned about criminals' rights that the "eye for an eye" concept is now viewed more dimly than communism here.

I never understood the whole WTB approach to looking for a car, even here on CF. Just start looking at for sale ads until you find what you want.

You cannot trust anyone you don't know and one way to help defend yourself is not to put out invitations like WTB. Although it SHOULDN'T be this way, IT IS.

Like I tell my daughter all the time, EVERY crime ever committed requires two things: motive and opportunity. We rarely control the first one, but we are generally in control of the second one. Just DON'T give these evil scumbags the OPPORTUNITY to make you their victim.

Very sad story. This couple did NOT deserve what happened to them. BUT, they did help give the scumbag OPPORTUNITY.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:26 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

life in prison for murder I don't agree with, especially in a case like this... if they give him the chair that would be the right thing to do just don't wait 15 years to do it... people don't realize how much tax money is wasted keeping these people alive so they can spend the rest of their lives behind bars, it costs more than a lot of us make in a year to keep 1 person alive behind bars for a year... dig a big hole, line them up, and take out the trash
Old 01-28-2015, 01:31 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

I agree that this idiot deserves the death penalty.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:36 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

life in prison for murder I don't agree with, especially in a case like this... if they give him the chair that would be the right thing to do just don't wait 15 years to do it... people don't realize how much tax money is wasted keeping these people alive so they can spend the rest of their lives behind bars, it costs more than a lot of us make in a year to keep 1 person alive behind bars for a year... dig a big hole, line them up, and take out the trash
Cheaper keeping him in prison for life and killing one innocent person makes the death penalty not worth it unless the guy asks for it.

Know how much it costs for the minimum number of appeals?? Much more than life in prison.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:41 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Cheaper keeping him in prison for life and killing one innocent person makes the death penalty not worth it unless the guy asks for it.

Know how much it costs for the minimum number of appeals?? Much more than life in prison.
ship these criminals down to tx, I'm sure plenty of us here would delightfully take care of this problem free of charge... forget all the appeals and money game, like I said those people just want to keep their job and bank roll coming in and don't really care about the justice
Old 01-28-2015, 01:56 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

ship these criminals down to tx, I'm sure plenty of us here would delightfully take care of this problem free of charge... forget all the appeals and money game, like I said those people just want to keep their job and bank roll coming in and don't really care about the justice
Life in Texas would be worse than the death penalty, maybe that's the answer. Your tune would change about the appeal process if you were the guy that was innocent!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

We have a criminal justice system in place for a reason; to protect the innocent until proven guilty from knee-jerk reactions such as yours. We have to let the process run it's course and provide equal justice for all (even the alleged bad guys), or else we become little better that the robbers, rapists & murderers, themselves. It angers me just as much as anybody to see these scumbags commit heinous crimes, receive a death sentence, yet take advantage of the appeal process & be allowed to live for another 20+ years. Our system may not always seem perfect, but I wouldn't trade it for any other
Old 01-28-2015, 02:02 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Life in Texas would be worse than the death penalty, maybe that's the answer. Your tune would change about the appeal process if you were the guy that was innocent!
haha that's funny, there are some things I don't like about it here but no matter where you go there are going to be drawbacks... overall compared to most other states it isn't so bad... so in this case the guy is innocent?... I think not and I do agree that when there is forensic evidence that proves the supposed criminal is innocent that is a good thing but in cases like this where the guy is no doubt guilty then why waste all the time and money, just get it over with
Old 01-28-2015, 02:03 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I bought my vette off of cl out of state, i took cash, gun, and my brother. Don't trust anyone but JESUS!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Be careful on Craigslist - You could lose your life!

Old 01-28-2015, 02:25 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BamaJ
We have a criminal justice system in place for a reason; to protect the innocent until proven guilty from knee-jerk reactions such as yours. We have to let the process run it's course and provide equal justice for all (even the alleged bad guys), or else we become little better that the robbers, rapists & murderers, themselves. It angers me just as much as anybody to see these scumbags commit heinous crimes, receive a death sentence, yet take advantage of the appeal process & be allowed to live for another 20+ years. Our system may not always seem perfect, but I wouldn't trade it for any other

To execute them we have to make sure they are guilty beyond any doubt. Sending them down to Texas to have Texas folks "take care of them" is not a good option.
Wrongful execution is a miscarriage of justice occurring when an innocent person is put to death by capital punishment, the "death penalty." Cases of wrongful execution are cited as an argument by opponents of capital punishment.[1]

A number of people are claimed to have been innocent victims of the death penalty.[2][3] Newly available DNA evidence has allowed the exoneration and release of more than 17 death row inmates since 1992 in the United States,[4] but DNA evidence is available in only a fraction of capital cases. Others have been released on the basis of weak cases against them, sometimes involving prosecutorial misconduct; resulting in acquittal at retrial, charges dropped, or innocence-based pardons. The Death Penalty Information Center (U.S.) has published a list of 10 inmates "executed but possibly innocent".[5] At least 39 executions are claimed to have been carried out in the U.S. in the face of evidence of innocence or serious doubt about guilt
Old 01-28-2015, 02:30 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

haha that's funny, there are some things I don't like about it here but no matter where you go there are going to be drawbacks... overall compared to most other states it isn't so bad... so in this case the guy is innocent?... I think not and I do agree that when there is forensic evidence that proves the supposed criminal is innocent that is a good thing but in cases like this where the guy is no doubt guilty then why waste all the time and money, just get it over with
Plenty of DOCUMENTED cases of people wrongly convicted. If they person wants to go out by the state FINE but getting rid of the mandatory appeals is beyond CRAZY, all it takes is one innocent guy to be put to death to make it not worth it.

Take your pick:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...s+on+death+row
Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 PM
baileysade
Instructor

Originally Posted by JR-01
Is the legal system that bad in Georgia?
The great state of Georgia just executed one of it's own today. How many other states know how to deal with these dirt gags ?

Quick Reply: Be careful on Craigslist - You could lose your life!