Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 inch rear wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

They will fit just fine. I have 19x12s on the back of my standard body C5.

Offset is everything.

Oh yeah, no rubbing here either and my car is lowered on bolts.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:10 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Black 02
They will fit just fine. I have 19x12s on the back of my standard body C5.

Offset is everything.

Oh yeah, no rubbing here either and my car is lowered on bolts.
Well hello there. Offset and tire size is everything.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Here are some photos of my "impossible 12" rear fitment".

Old 01-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Bud Doggin
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just emailed him about the offset. This is the description in the ad:

19" front and 20" rear C5 Z06 corvette wheels with high performance nitto tires
265/30/19 front Nitto 555r and 305/25/20 Nitto neo-gens rear tires. All tires are in great shape and have around 1,500 miles on them
Old 01-29-2015, 04:21 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Sick ride Black02... that is a lot of rubber on the road... Lightem Up Bro!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:25 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Pics of my car with 19x12s and stock fenders

Old 01-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by ZF Six
Pics of my car with 19x12s and stock fenders

and they stick out just about an inch... No Corvette comes from the factory with the tire sitting out an inch past the quarter panel.. spitting gravel and and sand and salt all over your fenders.

Those who like that 1980's Monte Carlo look tire outside the fender look then yes you can do it.. To prove my point and the direction this forum has gone.. Light um up Bro... sad....

No 1980's look for me. I guess that's because I'm not an immature kid telling some one to Light um up Bro... Kids( 14 to 18 ) see my car all the time and that's what they tell me, "light um up"... I just laugh at their immaturity, but them I was an immature kid once when I was 16.

This is how a properly fitted 13 inch wheel and 345/30/19 wheel should fit inside the wheel well. Not hanging out, trying to act as if you have more tire than you actually have.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Anyone who proves you wrong is an immature kid now?

My tread block is not an inch out of my fenders either. You can grasp for straws all you want here, but it won't change the fact that many people are running the setup you claim to be impossible.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:50 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Black 02
Anyone who proves you wrong is an immature kid now?

My tread block is not an inch out of my fenders either. But your wheel sit outside the fender crown, just like the picture below. A very unprofessional look. You can grasp for straws all you want here, but it won't change the fact that many people are running the setup you claim to be impossible.
Hers is a guy who put too much wheel and tire under his car.. Ive been here 14 years trying to help people avoid things like this, with good sound professional help.

I've been a Professional Automotive Design Engineer for 40 years. There are over 130 automotive manufacturers world wide. These manufacturers built 60 million cars last year. I can guarantee you that not one of the thousands of professional automotive designers would design a car with the tires and wheel outside the fender crowns. Chief designers Like Dave hill, will laugh at any designer who even remotely suggested this look.

Yes I says Kids, because a professional would never stoop to the mentality of a " Light Um Up Bro " Mentality.

If you want fat tires, do it right and add proper fenders. Any other way would appeal only to the mentality of the light um up crowd.. There is only one way to do it right. 60,000,000 cars, thousands of Automotive designers cant be wrong..

Soon the kids ( 18 year olds ) will have this C5 reduced from a first class design icon to a half assed kiddie car. Light um up bro.

If you think this looks good, then that's a shame.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-29-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:24 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Okay, so what is the limit? 13's 14 in wide? At what point is going outboard, even with wider fenders beneficial? Wouldn't that alone mess with all the engineering that went into designing the rear suspension geometry? What happened to form follows function? I would be somewhat more concerned about what actually works the best, more than how it looks. More is not always better. Most of the time anyway.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Hers is a guy who put too much wheel and tire under his car.. Ive been here 14 years trying to help people avoid things like this, with good sound professional help.

no that's a guy that lowered his car more than he was supposed to given the wheel and tire combination. or maybe a coil spring broke.

I've been a Professional Automotive Design Engineer for 40 years. There are over 130 automotive manufacturers world wide. These manufacturers built 60 million cars last year. I can guarantee you that not one of the thousands of professional automotive designers would design a car with the tires and wheel outside the fender crowns. Chief designers Like Dave hill, will laugh at any designer who even remotely suggested this look.

Yes I says Kids, because a professional would never stoop to the mentality of a " Light Um Up Bro " Mentality.
they won't do it because of laws governing vehicle manufacturing. specifically california made it a law that tires cannot be past the fender decades ago. hence the creation of add on fender flares. this was mainly brought on by the 4x4 guys putting wide tires on. doesn't make it wrong to do it though.

If you want fat tires, do it right and add proper fenders. Any other way would appeal only to the mentality of the light um up crowd.. There is only one way to do it right. 60,000,000 cars, thousands of Automotive designers cant be wrong..

Soon the kids ( 18 year olds ) will have this C5 reduced from a first class design icon to a half assed kiddie car. Light um up bro.

look, you obviously have way too much invested in the c5 because of your closeness to the design of the car. maybe you should take a step back and reassess your stance on the subject. sometimes you gotta let your kid grow up and move on. it's time to let go. send it off to college and let it blossom into what it wants to become.

stop being so judgmental about what people do with their cars. you did your good deed. instead of pissing and moaning about what people are doing to your "baby" and how wrong they are for doing it, how about you just go and say not my cup of tea and move on.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:44 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm running 11.5". I run a 305 width tire to keep the tread right at the edge of the fender.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Tyteflows
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I haven't seen a C5 on this thread that I didn't think looked amazing.

The C5 is such a beautiful car, those classic lines.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:53 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
Okay, so what is the limit? 13's 14 in wide? At what point is going outboard, even with wider fenders beneficial? Wouldn't that alone mess with all the engineering that went into designing the rear suspension geometry? What happened to form follows function? I would be somewhat more concerned about what actually works the best, more than how it looks. More is not always better. Most of the time anyway.
limits are what the individual wants to do with what is theirs. people can minitub and put flares on and most likey put a 14" wheel under the car.

in my case, i only did what GM did. after all, if GM did it, why can't i? i put c6 z06 wheels on my car. geometry between the c6 and c5 are near identical with almost the same exact parts. only difference is i didn't spend $2000 adding flared fenders. i'm ok with rocks hitting the rear fascia. it's rubber(ish). i can buff the car out when i want to. BTW no chips in my fenders yet.

in your case, function is what you are concerned with and that will be what sways your decision in tire/wheel choices.

back when i had my 2000 formula, i ran a 15x10 wheel with 325/50-15 drag radials. i made sure it tucked under the car and cleared everything. at that time i was shooting for function.

Last edited by mrr23; 01-29-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
Ill try to answer your question.. for many of us, the need for more tire is based on who much foot print you need to transfer the HP to the ground. Those of us who aesthetically modify their car, is more about design, and individuality.. I wanted to put 13 inch wide tires on my car in the event I want to significantly increase the HP.
Even before I put the big tires and flares on the car, there was hardly anyplace. I could go where someone didn't approach me and want to talk cars.. Gas stations, Gym, Parking lots anywhere where I chose to park. There isn't a day that goes by when I take my car out that I don't get a thumbs up, or some sort of recognition.. I had a late 30's early 40's guy chase me down in a parking lot the other day only to stop me and tell me how nice my car looked and that my tires and wheels were insane.. ( His words )... MY car always got looks before, but now the big tire look only helps me to enjoy that for which many people enjoy when they get a new car... I say this never gets old, and it doesn't.. as long as the car doesn't look like a riced out 80's Monte Carlo. A lot of work and research goes into everything I do.. The trick is to njot make it too much in your fact but makes the viewer what is different about this car..

IN the summer I stopped at My bank got out and this Guy in a Lexus came up to me as I was going in the bank and asked me if my car was the new Corvette Spider ( his words ) he thought it was brand new.. and argued with me when I told him it was 14 years old.. he sais they didn't have navigation and touch screens 14 years ago.. I Had to show him the mileage and the owners manual.. we talked for 45 minutes... He only recognized my car as a Corvette, but because its so clean everywhere, undercarriage , wheels wells rotors etc he thoug it was new... I told him I get that all the time... as we where talking in the parking lot, another guy walked by and said "is that brand New ? .. good luck! nice car! and I said Yes its new.. which made the original guy laugh as I told him lots of times rather than argue with people like I did with him , I just tell people its brand new. but that only when I do not have time which is rare.

Form, fit and function.. ( these follow the design Form, they are molded in and not bolted on, which Fit properly, and the fully Function.

I put these rear brake coolers in my car because, to my design eye, they look like they grew out of a real engineering design concept and not as a bolt on after thought like the actual Z06 rear brake coolers.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:16 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

no doubt you did and excellent job redesigning your car the way you want. it it just me or do the rims actually sit flush with the fender? then the tire tread rolls in just barely to clear the inner lip of the fender. don't load up too much in the trunk and while cruising hit a deep dip in the road and the fender touch the tire. i'm sure you thought of that when deciding.

do you have any pics from the top looking down of the rear tire? kinda like this pic i took of mine?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

For sure, I have a lot of memories, that you will never find in any book. I have shared some of that insider stuff with this forum over the last 14 years, and now 20 years later since I got involved with this platform, May of 1995. The original demographic is lost in the selling price of this car in todays market.
Like I said, lots Of new members here that could easily afford a C5 now... even an 18 year old with a job could own one.. IM an Old guy , Ill be 71 years old in a few months.. the members I once helped here are no longer here.. lots of people who's music has no appeal to me..
I have said, to many of the close friends I have here, that this forum is outgrowing me...I can see the pleasure I once felt in giving back to a community that supported my career, slowly eroding. So I guess I am no longer qualified to Help people here with what appears to me long outmoded advice.. So for me, what was once an opportunity to give back some special insights, has now become a battle ground. IM not healthy enough to keep this up.. But would never turn my back on the forum.. Ill just Bow out of the conversation on a regular basis. and allow the natural progression of the generation to enjoy their C5. IM always available in PM... that's probably a good place to be at this stage in my life.
Bill aka ET.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-29-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 12 inch rear wheels...

Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

For sure, I have a lot of memories, that you will never find in any book. I have shared some of that insider stuff with this forum over the last 14 years, and now 20 years later since I got involved with this platform, May of 1995. The original demographic is lost in the selling price of this car in todays market.
Like I said, lots Of new members here that could easily afford a C5 now... even an 18 year old with a job could own one.. IM an Old guy , Ill be 71 years old in a few months.. the members I once helped here are no longer here.. lots of people who's music has no appeal to me..
I have said, to many of the close friends I have here, that this forum is outgrowing me...I can see the pleasure I once felt in giving back to a community that supported my career, slowly eroding. So I guess I am no longer qualified to Help people here with what appears to me long outmoded advice.. So for me, what was once an opportunity to give back some special insights, has now become a battle ground. IM not healthy enough to keep this up.. But would never turn my back on the forum.. Ill just Bow out of the conversation on a regular basis. and allow the natural progression of the generation to enjoy their C5. IM always available in PM... that's probably a good place to be at this stage in my life.
Bill aka ET.
you have given and will still give sound advice. my only advice to you is to stop and take a broader look at things and not be so linear. nothing wrong with your advice. but you have to see things from other people's perspective. believe me, there are quite a few things people have done to their cars that i look at and go "not in my lifetime". but i keep that to myself. if asked, i just simply say, "while it's not something i would do, i can see why you did it."

Last edited by mrr23; 01-29-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...0Meet/0011.jpg

http://www.photostand.co.za/images/d...3cyubo8ukg.jpg
Thanks for the photos, but those have nothing to do with my car, my wheels or my tire choices. As I mentioned, my car doesn't rub and has never rubbed on my wheel and tire setup. Quit giving people false information in this thread.

As far as "fat tires", I don't have them, nor do I need them for my LS6 with a mild cam. I have 305s on the back and 245s on the front. The front and rear both have a very slight stretch to them, which to me, is aesthetically pleasing. As I'm sure you know, a little tire stretch can be good. The examples in the pictures you posted are obviously over the top and were no doubt chosen to try to get your point across. Unfortunately, they have nothing to do with my C5 at all.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 PM
Beau168
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread makes me want to get some wide rear wheels now! Love the look of wide rubber on these. I'm new to the forum and think everyone here is friendly and nice. I'm a younger guy so I like to do tasteful mods to suit me so I can see where others may be coming from. I think in general everyone should consider each others opinion and not disregard others, people have different taste and styles, nothing wrong with that. The corvette may be a classic to some but I feel it certainly matches the new C7.

(In my opinion the best looking corvette is the C5)

Quick Reply: 12 inch rear wheels...