Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 inch rear wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Oh and for the record, I was 18 when my Z06 was new. Far from 18 now I'll agree, there is a huge age gap on this site.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Took this 5 minute ago

There is no rub anywhere throughout the suspension travel. I would not expect it since John at CCW built these specifically for my car with 14 inch rotors and rear brake ducts. And as Much as I am a Professional , John is a professional wheel designer and builder. I Go to a guy that understands how traditional tire fitments should be built.
When I bought my 11's from him, I asked him if I could go bigger and he said no ..my car has 14 inch rotors then and also rear brake ducts. Money was not an object.. I didn't ask him for 11's I asked him for the biggest I could get under the car..

Here is a picture of my Rear 13' wheels and tires on the left , and my rear 11's'' on the right, Both fit under the car not outside the car.. 13's with the 2 inch flares , and the 11's with stock quarters.. both wheels are CCW 505

Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
And as Much as I am a Professional , John is a professional wheel designer and builder. I Go to a guy that understands how traditional tire fitments should be built.
I'll agree John is a smart guy. I'm also a big fan of CCW wheels and have owned a few sets of them.

I'll also agree that John and Dan understand "traditional" tire fitments, but they are also very into the types of fitments you are bashing in this thread.

http://www.flushstance.com/

Last edited by Black 02; 01-29-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Im running 305/30/19 on 11" wheels on the rear. No rub, not tire sticking out. In our state if your tread is sticking out beyond the body panels you will not pass inspection, and you can get a non points ticket for the infraction.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

I specified a 1/4" more backspacing when I ordered my CCW's and my tires only stick past the fender by a 1/16" at the top front & rear, I prefer the flush look rather than tires protruding past the fender line.

I am running 1/2 degree negative camber.

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 02-28-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:02 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

There is no rub anywhere throughout the suspension travel.
thanks for the picture. it's what i thought i saw.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:13 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

[QUOTE=Evil-Twin;1588838852]and they stick out just about an inch... No Corvette comes from the factory with the tire sitting out an inch past the quarter panel.. spitting gravel and and sand and salt all over your fenders.

Those who like that 1980's Monte Carlo look tire outside the fender look then yes you can do it.. To prove my point and the direction this forum has gone.. Light um up Bro... sad....

No 1980's look for me. I guess that's because I'm not an immature kid telling some one to Light um up Bro... Kids( 14 to 18 ) see my car all the time and that's what they tell me, "light um up"... I just laugh at their immaturity, but them I was an immature kid once when I was 16.

Sir, I didn't direct any comments toward you or mean to upset you... I didn't even comment on the fitment either way...inside or outside fender wells...just think the Black02 has a sick car... so is yours... that's a Good thing! Was just being enthusiastic about the fabulous corvettes that we enjoy, with the "Lightem up" comment. It's not a challenge or meant to be derogatory just a slang thing...
Thank you for your 14 years of support, encouragement, expertise, experience, and sharing...please keep it up. Someone once said, "A word to the wise is sufficient." You have done your part.
ps...when the kids see you and holler... it just means they love your car, they don't mean any disrespect, at least give them a thumbs up.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Online Conflicts

For the most part, the CF community remains a friendly place where ideas, thoughts, and assistance can be found. Unfortunately, there are times when members forget that this is an Internet forum and issues between members can get out of hand. This includes members turning to the forum to air a personal offline/on-line problem which results in sides being drawn by participating members.

In these situations, it is the forum's role to expeditiously end any conflict for the good of the forum and its membership. The forum's goal is not only to remain family, work, and corporate server safe, it also will not serve as a battleground where offline/on-line personal matters and drama are permitted to be played out in front of other members.

Any thread(s) that contain open bickering, name calling, subtle derogatory messages, "digs," personal attacks, or anything negative in nature will be closed/edited or deleted, and any participating members who post in violation of this rule, will jeopardize their posting privileges.

If any member is being harassed on-line in a thread or privately via PM, they should avoid a confrontation with the offending member and immediately report the problem to a section Moderator via PM, or by clicking on the "report post," icon Click the image to open in full size. under their user name.

The Moderator will evaluate the issue and take appropriate action to rectify the situation.

Last edited by johnodrake; 01-30-2015 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Replace Post with Online Conflict Rules
Old 01-30-2015, 08:01 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

and they stick out just about an inch... No Corvette comes from the factory with the tire sitting out an inch past the quarter panel.. spitting gravel and and sand and salt all over your fenders.
No, they don't stick out an inch. I also don't drive on gravel roads, the beach, or a snowy area where salt is used.

It must be difficult and frustrating being so closed-minded. I'll continue loving the way my C5 looks and accepting all the compliments I get.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:08 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

with all the recent questions concerning this subject, i started a thread for those of us with 12" wide rears and stock fenders.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...only-pics.html
Old 01-30-2015, 12:06 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
Here are some photos of my "impossible 12" rear fitment".

OMG that looks terrible!!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

...this forum is outgrowing me...I can see the pleasure I once felt in giving back to a community that supported my career, slowly eroding.

Gee, I wonder why...

Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

how about the OP just goes and buys those tires and slaps them on and lets see what happens? haha
Old 01-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Bud Doggin
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Madeja
how about the OP just goes and buys those tires and slaps them on and lets see what happens? haha
All the OP (me) did was ask a question to gain some information. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

haha
Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bud Doggin
Will a 20x12 inch wheel fit on the rear of a standard C5? Another used wheel/tire deal I'm checking out. Seller says they fit.
Do you feel your question has been addressed properly? And are you going to get the 20x12 based on the wealth of info that has been provided?

sorry the little hide thing was pretty immature
Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Bud Doggin
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Do you feel your question has been addressed properly? And are you going to get the 20x12 based on the wealth of info that has been provided?

sorry the little hide thing was pretty immature
LOL.... No, I'm not. I just saw an ad for some wheels/tires and asked a question. I didn't know all hell would break loose...
Old 01-30-2015, 01:49 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Some of us have a passion that others cannot fathom. And in that brings out emotions in us that even we don't understand (favorite lightning mcqueen quote)

Get notified of new replies

To 12 inch rear wheels...

Old 01-30-2015, 01:55 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mrr23
Some of us have a passion that others cannot fathom. And in that brings out emotions in us that even we don't understand (favorite lightning mcqueen quote)
I feel ya man!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:48 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I know there is this 'right way and wrong way' thing going on here; but there is a point of confusion that is driving me nuts.

While there may only be 11 1/12 inches from the inner fender to the lip in a straight line; that is not how a wheel sits in a car that is not a straight axle.

Firstly, when measuring a wheel; it is generally measured from the INSIDE of the lips. That means your 10" wheel is about 11" in total width. Plus account for tire buldge and this assumed 3/4" number to the fender. By your own logic a stock C5z wheel shouldn't fit.

The catch here is that ride height is going to dictate tire placement as an SLA or any IRS design has a wheel traveling in an arc pattern. Where the wheel is only square to the car at the longest portion of the arc of the longest arm. Hence when you lower a car (or let it hang on stands) the wheels will come in closer to the body with a set amount of camber.

Even a stock Corvette does not run 0 degrees out back; which would make the wheel square. What you DO have to work with is not a straight line from fender to inner fender; but a cross section in a diagonal line. That extra 1/2" to an inch is what is the make or break point and walks the fine line of when camber becomes excessive.

This is why everything down to tire choice plays a roll including overall height. To be so terrifically cut and dry without acknowledging these aspects is rather kid like yourself in that it's the argumental mentality of an 8yr old . "No it's not and I don't care; you are wrong".

I agree that setups look best inside the housings, but they also look best when fitted aggressively towards the edge of the envelope. While a 12" wheel at YOUR offset might not work; with the proper backspace moving it towards the inner fender; with JUST a touch of camber, they fit perfectly, while not even being outside of what could be considered a performance spec.

Want them larger and stock fenders? Mini tub it for a few hundred and be done. Or you can stick on huge 1970s flares and go the other way.

Even a widebody c6 with agressive fenders does not taper back into a narrow bumper. On a subject of taste you should not be as quick to judge.

Although input is always valued, and is often taken without thanks, it is equally important not to let ego get the best of you.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:01 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
I know there is this 'right way and wrong way' thing going on here; but there is a point of confusion that is driving me nuts.

While there may only be 11 1/12 inches from the inner fender to the lip in a straight line; that is not how a wheel sits in a car that is not a straight axle.

Firstly, when measuring a wheel; it is generally measured from the INSIDE of the lips. That means your 10" wheel is about 11" in total width. Plus account for tire buldge and this assumed 3/4" number to the fender. By your own logic a stock C5z wheel shouldn't fit.

The catch here is that ride height is going to dictate tire placement as an SLA or any IRS design has a wheel traveling in an arc pattern. Where the wheel is only square to the car at the longest portion of the arc of the longest arm. Hence when you lower a car (or let it hang on stands) the wheels will come in closer to the body with a set amount of camber.

Even a stock Corvette does not run 0 degrees out back; which would make the wheel square. What you DO have to work with is not a straight line from fender to inner fender; but a cross section in a diagonal line. That extra 1/2" to an inch is what is the make or break point and walks the fine line of when camber becomes excessive.

This is why everything down to tire choice plays a roll including overall height. To be so terrifically cut and dry without acknowledging these aspects is rather kid like yourself in that it's the argumental mentality of an 8yr old . "No it's not and I don't care; you are wrong".

I agree that setups look best inside the housings, but they also look best when fitted aggressively towards the edge of the envelope. While a 12" wheel at YOUR offset might not work; with the proper backspace moving it towards the inner fender; with JUST a touch of camber, they fit perfectly, while not even being outside of what could be considered a performance spec.

Want them larger and stock fenders? Mini tub it for a few hundred and be done. Or you can stick on huge 1970s flares and go the other way.

Even a widebody c6 with agressive fenders does not taper back into a narrow bumper. On a subject of taste you should not be as quick to judge.

Although input is always valued, and is often taken without thanks, it is equally important not to let ego get the best of you.
This was well said.

Quick Reply: 12 inch rear wheels...