Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Rear diffuser making progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

I will be posting pics of the on going progress and will ask for opinions and suggestions along the way
Old 02-09-2015, 03:59 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Looks good so far....
From what I can see you don't have a pan under the car. A real
diffuser is not only the bumper but the attached pan that will go
to the rear axle.
What are you going to do with your catback??? I ran straight pipe
and a small muffler attached to the X-pipe.
There is a lot to a diffuser and what you can't see is as important
as what you can see.
Good luck.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Originally Posted by road pilot
Looks good so far....
From what I can see you don't have a pan under the car. A real
diffuser is not only the bumper but the attached pan that will go
to the rear axle.
What are you going to do with your catback??? I ran straight pipe
and a small muffler attached to the X-pipe.
There is a lot to a diffuser and what you can't see is as important
as what you can see.
Good luck.
I undersrand about the functional aspect of a diffuser. This diffuser would not be for the track bound cars. Mainly for street cars.This one is going to be more for looks as that is what some want. I am working on a more functional one as well. Based off of this style in the pic. My exhaust does not interfere with the diffuser. I am working it around this. I've seen partial shots of yours and was curious about how its mounted. Would love to see more detailed pics. My main goal was to make a diffuser that did not require cutting or drilling the rear fascia.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:34 PM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Name:  2015-02-08_16.17.12_zpso93xoe3t.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  105.9 KB

For this "flanged" portion. Why not give it a generous fillet radius with bondo/fiberglass? Bring it tangent to both surfaces, should look clean

Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth02
I did look at widening the side wing but it looked too squared. Once this is all smoothed out the whole diffuser will be hydro dipped in carbon fiber then the red area will be colormatched to the bumper.

Maybe not having the whole red area filled to the sides but having it taper starting from that edge and meet the current side wing. Still excited to seeing what you come up with when its all finished just throwing out some ideas . I've been waiting years for this

Please don't let the racecar purist distract you from your progress. All the past threads have been steered in that direction which is why there is little progress. Most want people something to complete the rear of the car and give it a more modern look. A giant diffuser and 20ft wing would look silly on a street car.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:43 PM
C.Lunn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it. Can't wait to see the finished piece.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:55 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by brplatz

For this "flanged" portion. Why not give it a generous fillet radius with bondo/fiberglass? Bring it tangent to both surfaces, should look clean
Wouldn't it be as simple as cutting the diffuser in the flat spots between the fins and adding some material to push the existing radius and fin further to the outside, then massage the curvature from there? It may force you to redo the mounting areas to accommodate this, but making it fit properly to the OEM fascia area first seems a missed opportunity. As much as I like the idea of this piece and no holes in my rear fascia, I would not purchase based on the material in the red. Just looks unfinished to me, body colored or not.

Last edited by imgn tht; 02-09-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Stealth02
Drifting

Not too simple but I will look at the adjustment you are suggesting. I can make the adjustment without interference to the mounting points. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:57 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Wouldn't it be as simple as cutting the diffuser in the flat spots between the fins and adding some material to push the existing radius and fin further to the outside, then massage the curvature from there? It may force you to redo the mounting areas to accommodate this, but making it fit properly to the OEM fascia area first seems a missed opportunity. As much as I like the idea of this piece and no holes in my rear fascia, I would not purchase based on the material in the red. Just looks unfinished to me, body colored or not.
I like your idea better than mine. The end arches look pretty close to matching up with the factory bumper curves. Cut, slide over, fill in missing space.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Kudos to the OP for taking this on! It amazes me that some of the forum sponsors (with access to body shop materials and talent) who have promised they were "working on a diffuser" several months ago (or years ago) haven't developed jack squat, but an individual owner can make huge progress with his own stuff. Go figure.
one day I am going to combine all the threads of the vendors that said it's in the works I wont let you guys down then poof gone..
Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Ok looled at it this evening and decided to move the side fins out to cover the flanged area so no color match required. Did the necessary cuts and will be bonding it back together. Will post pics later this week and review the comments.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Any idea what the target price range will be ?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:16 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Guided
Any idea what the target price range will be ?
1 million bucks!!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:19 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Any updates? You have a chance at being a legend around here if you can pull it off
Old 02-19-2015, 11:26 AM
wxman1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear spoiler

Originally Posted by Stealth02
I started this venture last year. Have invested a small fortune in parts and materials. But things are progressing. I have the diffuser roughed in and fitted to the car. I've read a lot of comments and suggestions of what everyone would like to see done with a rear diffuser for the C5. The main issue was to make one that would fit up to the stock bumper without drilling or cutting. I found a way to do this. I have backing plates behind the vent openings with four bolts on each side that screw into the diffuser. I will also use 3m doublesided body tape around the edges as well. I am working on two different styles of diffuser. One being more suttle like the stock C6 diffuser and a more aggresive style like ARP's diffuser with an under pan. I can mount this diffuser in about 15 minutes. It slides right into place and is held very secourely with the mounting plates. I am looking for a distributor to make these when complete. Here are some pics of progress so far.

I like the rear diffuser but I REALLY like your rear spoiler with the 5.7 ls1 even better! Did you make it yourself? If not, where did you order it? Thanks Bruce
Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you need someone to test your prototype, I'm your guy.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

waxman1 the rear spoiler is the ZR spoiler from C7 Carbon. The 5.7 LS1 emblem I ordered off of ebay. Rear diffuser is ready to bond back together and do all of the finish epoxy filling and sanding. Just waiting on the cold spell to pass.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Rear diffuser making progress

Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Updates?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Glad you posted. Been steadily working on it. A lot of cutting, sanding, molding and shaping had to be done. A bit more to go. I have 90% completion so far. Can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have a weeks vacation starting this weekend. I will be finishing up the final body work smoothing everything out. All of my mounting points are done. This piece really fits up nice to the rear fascia. I have one vendor very interested in this and will be taking it to him next week to get the ball rolling on possible molds. I will post pics of the finished primered diffuser on and off the car this coming week. Mounting is a snap. No cutting the rear bumper fascia or drilling holes needed. Uses the four mounting tabs above the exhaust tips for an anchor point plus four screw inserts in the vent area with a backing plate. Also uses some 3M double sided body tape .

Last edited by Stealth02; 03-27-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:57 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

from what I see so far I like it and might be interested in one once the final product is revealed and if they go into production... I sure hope the vendor you have been working with is not the one I'm thinking of though

Quick Reply: C5 Rear diffuser making progress