Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New college graduate looking at a C5 as a first car....advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Knightfall
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New college graduate looking at a C5 as a first car....advice?

Hey ya'll, I'm going to be graduating from college next year and I am considering buying a C5 corvette as my first car upon graduating. I may be moving a loooooong way from home as well as having quite the commute when I graduate, so reliability is a must and a significant factor in the vehicle I choose. My main question is that most of the cars I am looking at are the between $20-$25k (significantly under my budget compared to everything else I'm looking at) "basically new" corvettes sold by classic car dealers which usually have around or less than 20k original miles. What do ya'll think? Are there any issues with vehicles that are so seldomly driven? What about long term reliability as long as I keep the oil changed and don't treat it like an F-18? Are these kinds of vehicles good deals? How would insurance be compared to, say, a new base-model truck (before seriously considering a C5, my first choice was the new 2016 Nissan Titan). Just trying to play sponge and soak up all the info I can....thanks ya'll....

PS...I also posted an identical thread in the C4 forums, not a troll, just interested in both generations of Corvettes.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:09 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

C5 Corvette is a wonderful platform. There are many many C5's running around with 2,3, and 400,000 miles and more.
Many here on the forum have owned their C5's for many years with no problems, and also daily drive them about, or commute in them to and from work.
Probably not the best car for snow.... I forgot to look where you live.

On the highway, these cars if stock, can get 25 to 30 mpg.

Any used car has to possibility of needing maintenance from time to time, as I'm sure you understand.

I would advise you to look at the 'last' C5's. the 2004, 03, etc. Get the newest one you can afford.

As to insurance, you need to just call several insurance companies, and get quotes from them, on C5 compared to another vehicle you are considering. That's the only way for you to know, for sure.

Premium fuel C5 needs costs a little more, but if you buy ten gallons, it's only 2 bucks or a little less per fill-up, usually, than buying regular fuel for another vehicle. So, not that much over the course of a year, it seems. But worth considering depending on your budget.

I"d say do a little homework, read lots of threads here on the forum, and then Go for it. C5 Corvette is a great car.

good luck whatever you decide,
Don
Old 02-09-2015, 04:21 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

A 2004 corvette with less than 20K miles is as close to getting a NEW C5 as you can get. The 6 speed models had some issue with the steering column lock (simple fix with LMC5 module), and the gas tank crossover pipe can be an expensive issue on certain VIN #'s. Then if you do your maintenance and treat it with respect, and fix whatever needs attention as it comes up. You can have a vehicle that is not only dependable, but economical, and a freakin blast to drive. DO YOUR homework!
Z06-6spd only and fixed roof Z51 suspension
Coupe- tranny and suspension options and removable targa top
or Convertible- tranny and suspension options

Your a smart kid or you wouldn't even be asking... so
Pick your color, options, and body style, then find one in your budget and or a little cheaper so you have some left to personalize it and have fun...
GOOD LUCK let us know what you get...

Last edited by 73Corvette; 02-09-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:40 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

I bought my C5 about 2 months after graduating college. 7 years later and I'm just as happy with is as I was the day I bought it... These motors are solid. Will you have problems with the car? Yes. Will it be worth it? Absolutely. Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Knightfall
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input and advice!!!

As for snow, I currently live in FL and go to school in SC, however when I graduate I will be commissioning in the Army, so I may have to learn how to drive in snow the hard way regardless. However, if I live on post I shouldn't have too awful of a commute (I would prefer to live off post though, I like the woods and long drives haha).

The gas mileage factor is a plus since I am mostly looking at trucks which suck in the mpg arena, but would be easier to get to some remote gun ranges I like to use and my family's cabin.

Again, thanks for your help. This will be my first real investment and since I was 16 I've always borrowed my dad's 2006 PT Cruiser that has almost 200k miles on it now (bought as a gas saver post hurricane Charley), and I want an upgrade, but a responsible one.

As for insurance, do ya'll think it would be significantly worse than a truck or maybe a new mustang or Camaro? Again, I really appreciate ya'll's help.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:17 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

FYI..my 05 3/4 ton dodge 5.9 cummins gets about 23 mpg....
Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 PM
grandsport2
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In my opinion the C5 corvette is the best bang for the buck there is. Super low mileage cars are great, but you will do maintenance like water pumps (just did mine today) and things because of age and sitting. 40-50k cars will be driven a bit more and cost a bit less and still very reliable. As far as snow, get a dedicated snow tire for winter or some of the awesome 4 season tires work about as good without the hassle of switching back and forth. I live in the mid west snow belt, and have made corvettes my daily driver for over 20 years. Just use common sense.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

A few thoughts to share...

1) Any given time, there are lots of corvettes for sale found in this forum. If you go to a dealer, you will be looking at paying top dollar retail price. Car dealers have to pay rent, pay employees, and other overhead. You will get way more for your money through a private sale. Consider making your purchase here.

2) Think about what you will be doing with the car down the road. Do you plan to keep it and not do anything to it, keeping it stock. Or, do you vision yourself getting the "mod bug" and will one day want a supercharger, headers, cam, upgraded sound system, upgraded lighting (e.g. HIDs).... If you think you will want to be modding the car, consider buying one that has already been modded. This will save you literally $1000's down the road. Just make sure the seller has all the paper work and the work is performed at reputable shop and/or by capable hands.

Do let us know what you end up with
Old 02-09-2015, 08:29 PM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, everything I have heard is, dont ever consider a car an investment.

Secondly I just graduated from college as well. Got a real job. Bought a C5 Z06 with 50k miles for $20k. Best purchase I have ever made
Old 02-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Lots of very good and sound advice presented above. The C5 is really a very reliable platform, but not without some issues. But most of them are fixable, especially if you get an '01-04 model. Just take your time and find one that has been meticulously maintained - they are out there.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:35 PM
SCvette1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in the Columbia SC area and have a 99 arctic white vert that I'm considering to sell. 77k miles. Very good condition. Let me know if interested.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

C5s are great cars. They are pretty reliable, and since they have one of the most common engines in the world, they are really not that expensive to repair most of the time if you do your research.

That said, I don't think a corvette is really a good car to have if its your only car. Many people do it, but if I could only have 1 car, it would not be a corvette.

Corvettes are in a different league from most other "sports cars". Just because 2 cars have similar specs on paper does not make them similar. A corvette offers a really great driving experience. Some of the most fun you can have with your pants on. However, they're not as practical as other cars, such as a fast sedan or a truck.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:05 AM
CorvetteBob52
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Easy, Buy a c5 corvette, go fast, have fun, that's all there is to it
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

My input is to get a "beater" car for daily use and use the C5 as a fun use car that can be garaged and used to have fun. It will also allow you to learn how to work on it yourself.

Just figure out how much you have to spent and adjust accordingly. I bought my C5 about 4 years ago. It was a 2001 convertible with 65K miles and has been trouble free.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:22 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=brplatz;1588924613]First of all, everything I have heard is, dont ever consider a car an investment.

I paid 10k for a 69ss chevelle a few years ago, put very little into other than labor and today that car is worth around 35-40K not a bad investment.. I know it's not a C5, but, when we bought our 04 C5 vert it was in a price range that, I could make money on it today, and should be able to get all my money back even a few years down the road.

Those who know how to build wealth understand that every dollar they spend should be seen as an investment.

Some are much better than others. That being said I have made as much or more money on cars over the years than I have on the stock market.
I don't know if I'm just really good at cars and suck at the stock market. Both are a gamble...

Buying any car to me is an "investment" good or bad. Another point I think is that all your "returns" on an investment may not be money oriented.. some of your "return" may be in pure joy of ownership or in performance. If your very careful you may even be able to break even or make a little money down the road.

Invest wisely and enjoy the returns.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Given your budget Id go c6 all day. That wasn't the case 2yrs ago when I bought mine; but prices have fallen significantly.

As an investment they are going to hold better than a c5 with the now c7 release.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:36 PM
jayinnh
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my first vette at 19. Wasn’t my first car, more like my third.
Do it.

Get notified of new replies

To New college graduate looking at a C5 as a first car....advice?

Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,224 Likes on 537 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by jayinnh
Do it.
OP is from 4 years ago
Old 02-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by jayinnh
Do it.
This thread is four years old, the Original poster graduated and is now making Big bucks. He's driving a New C7 Z
Old 02-19-2019, 06:13 PM
Josephu
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

Naa,,,,Probably living in his parents basement and driving a Prius!...

Quick Reply: New college graduate looking at a C5 as a first car....advice?